Question regarding "Vanilla"...

RememberMurray

Reaction score
What does Gopher Hole think about the whole "vanilla" idea, regarding the SDSU game?

Did Minnesota make a deliberate decision to keep their cards close to the vest, and leave a sizable portion of the playbook under wraps?

We saw very little Wildcat. We ran frequently inside the tackles. On defense, there wasn't much blitz/pressure used, except in very key situations.

Does anybody think the coaches might have been 'keeping their powder dry', and saving a good chunk of the playbook (on both offense and defense) for Fresno?

Note: the 2-point conversion was entertaining and creative.

I think it's just early in the season and we don't have a huge play book yet. But I do think maybe they held back some on the wildcat.

Are we talking "natural" vanilla or real vanilla? Natural vanilla uses beaver anus and real vanilla is just beans.

I think coach Fleck is onto what is real, so I would say he used real vanilla.

I think it's just early in the season and we don't have a huge play book yet. But I do think maybe they held back some on the wildcat.

What? Almost all the starters on offense are back.

I do think there is something to be said for our coaches spending the offseason looking at ways to beat big 10 teams, etc.

While SDSU is spending the off season on ways to beat Minnesota.

That is still no excuse to be beaten on both lines.

What does Gopher Hole think about the whole "vanilla" idea, regarding the SDSU game?

Did Minnesota make a deliberate decision to keep their cards close to the vest, and leave a sizable portion of the playbook under wraps?

We saw very little Wildcat. We ran frequently inside the tackles. On defense, there wasn't much blitz/pressure used, except in very key situations.

Does anybody think the coaches might have been 'keeping their powder dry', and saving a good chunk of the playbook (on both offense and defense) for Fresno?

Note: the 2-point conversion was entertaining and creative.

If you made the decision to keep your cards close to the vest in that tight of a game against an FCS team it was a bad call!

Go back and watch the Wisc and GTech games from last year. Our offense wasn’t real creative in either of those games either. Difference is the OL played with an edge and was pretty dominant. Last night they didn’t play with an edge and were far from dominant.
The OL we lost after last season were seasoned vets and the moving of Andries and Olson along with adding in Dunlop and Schlueter has created some uncertainty between all of them. They may have looked good in practice against our DL, but are familiar with the schemes. They weren’t familiar with what SDSU was doing and looked to be playing hesitant causing way too many missed blocks.
They’ll get it straightened out in the coming weeks as they get more comfortable playing alongside each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lack of execution but definitely a general lack of creativity outside of one, maybe two plays. No sweeps, pulling linemen, misdirection of any sort that I can recall outside of the conversion when the game was literally on the line. Pretty disappointing fail considering everyone’s back.

If we held back plays and relied on SDSU fumbling an exchange late in the game for us to win the game, the staff would be guilty of coaching malpractice. And this staff wouldn't do that. The "holding back the good plays" excuse is something fans use to justify poor performances.

Lack of execution but definitely a general lack of creativity outside of one, maybe two plays. No sweeps, pulling linemen, misdirection of any sort that I can recall outside of the conversion when the game was literally on the line. Pretty disappointing fail considering everyone’s back.

If we held back plays and relied on SDSU fumbling an exchange late in the game for us to win the game, the staff would be guilty of coaching malpractice. And this staff wouldn't do that. The "holding back the good plays" excuse is something fans use to justify poor performances.

I agree.

Pro tip - add a little extra vanilla to your chocolate chip cookie dough.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom