Punting question

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Couldn't watch last night but the stat line for Herbers was 6 punts for an average of 34 yards with a long of 41.

Should we be worried or was there a number of situational short punts?

He was ok. A couple punts landed inside the 10 and took horrendous backward bounces out to near 20. He does get punt off quickly and hits them high for coverage; not a real big leg.

I would label his performance last night as adequate.... Low B...

Couldn't watch last night but the stat line for Herbers was 6 punts for an average of 34 yards with a long of 41.

Should we be worried or was there a number of situational short punts?

I don't think so. Gophs punted from SDSU 36 on first drive, downed on the 16 with bad bounce. Really thought they would go for the first down there.

Not enough to worry about at this point.

Some were shorter fields with a wonky bounce.

I would say kick coverage was a bigger deal. SDSU got a lot of really long returns. The shorter punts did impact field position.

Overall, special teams was spotty at best, and just flat-out poor at worst. (missed XP).

I don't think so. Gophs punted from SDSU 36 on first drive, downed on the 16 with bad bounce. Really thought they would go for the first down there.

Crucial mistake by PJ, really set the tone for the game. Next play SDSU ran it out to the 40. Played afraid to lose and almost did.

I would say kick coverage was a bigger deal. SDSU got a lot of really long returns. The shorter punts did impact field position.

Overall, special teams was spotty at best, and just flat-out poor at worst. (missed XP).

Can't argue at all with your post but despite being out coached and out played, Gophs were not outscored.

Crucial mistake by PJ, really set the tone for the game. Next play SDSU ran it out to the 40. Played afraid to lose and almost did.

Nope. Correct call. Didn’t set the tone.

Nope. Correct call.

Agreed. You don't go for it on 4th and hand the other team momentum that early in the game.

SDSU got momentum on their own, but you sure don't give it to them.

Considering our offense, good chance we don't make that play anyway.

Punting was fine. I’d rather have a guy that can consistently kill the ball than puts it in the end zone every time. Still inside the 20, which is the real goal of short kicking.

Agreed. You don't go for it on 4th and hand the other team momentum that early in the game.

SDSU got momentum on their own, but you sure don't give it to them.

Considering our offense, good chance we don't make that play anyway.

at the 35, you go for it on 4th and 4. PJ doesn't believe in momentum. If you're SDSU and we've had a nice drive on you, which would you prefer? I ALWAYS want the offense to punt.

How come their kicker could blast it out the back of the endzone but ours was dropping them at the 3 yard line? After their big return why give themchances again? Just blast it into the endzone.

How come their kicker could blast it out the back of the endzone but ours was dropping them at the 3 yard line? After their big return why give themchances again? Just blast it into the endzone.

Their guy has a significantly stronger leg. Nebraska transfer I think

Punter did great, punt coverage team not great. Punts were landing within the 0-10 yards of the endzone, and instead of downing them where it came down we let it bounce and chased the ball as it bounced back up field.

I definitely dont punt from the other teams 36. If nothing else, disappointed we dont have a kicker we trust to try a field go from there. Should have gone for it.

The punting was fine, nothing spectacular, but nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom