What was the deal with concessions last night?

Swinging Gates

Reaction score
I tried to purchase no less than a half dozen food/beverage items from stadium concessions that they did not have. This was not a case where there was an unexpected large crowd and they ran out. No, they just didn't have it in stock in the 1st place. It's not like they should have been caught by surprise that a game was happening on August 29th. Anyone else experience this, or just me?

My wife had a different experience:

She went up to buy popcorn.

The person at the register told her very confidently they didn't sell popcorn there .... the person at the next register two feet away was handing another customer popcorn at that moment.

My wife had to point to tell her that indeed you sell popcorn.

She got her popcorn but man this volunteer organization thing really slows things down / is slow. I don't think people realize how bad the average joe accountant or whatever is at moving efficiently in food service. It is just terrible.

Sometimes I think the supply issues are related, like someone doesn't know when to call to get more.

Really though the folks handing the food at TCF have gotten MUCH worse the last couple years. Like the "no condiments on the home side" for the first quarter game last year ... like you can put those out any damn time and it takes one person with one cart to fill those damn things / check them.

The person at the register told her very confidently they didn't sell popcorn there .... the person at the next register two feet away was handing another customer popcorn at that moment.

She got her popcorn but man this volunteer organization thing really slows things down / is slow. I don't think people realize how bad the average joe accountant or whatever is at moving efficiently in food service. It is just terrible.

Sometimes I think the supply issues are related, like someone doesn't know when to call to get more.

Really though the folks handing the food at TCF have gotten MUCH worse the last couple years. Like the "no condiments on the home side" for the first quarter game last year ... like you can put those out any damn time and it takes one person with one cart to fill those damn things / check them.

The whole volunteer system is dumb, and shouldn't be allowed as it worsens the experience of those attending the games. Hire some employees or student workers that actually get trained and know what they are doing every week.

Got a couple beers and a couple hot dogs in the second half. Condiment station full. Zero issues. I had way more concerns with the play on the field.

The whole volunteer system is dumb, and shouldn't be allowed as it worsens the experience of those attending the games. Hire some employees or student workers that actually get trained and know what they are doing every week.

It raises a lot of money for various organizations and nonprofits.

I got popcorn and a water before kickoff. Wasn't an issue aside from the popcorn bag being about 3/4 full instead of the usual overflowing.

Only went to concession line one time. Needed a snack to sober up a bit.

Guy got my items quickly, ready to pay and leave. Oops, no pen to sign the receipt. Guy physically leaves the area to go into the back room in search of a pen.

Meanwhile, his partner is taking orders from not one but two deep behind me, gathering their things up by the register. These people are confused and frustrated, because they think they're supposed to pay and leave.

Obviously thought it would be helpful, but would've just been better off not doing that.

Not at all a big deal. Just inexperienced folks working. I don't give people behind the registers grief. It's a tough job (try it sometime, if you never have done it, I have). And they're probably making $10/hr if they're lucky.

I couldn't get a cup of coffee at half time I tried a three different vendors. I ended up getting a cup of fries which the woman said they didn't have until I pointed out that the next register over had just been stocked.

I didn't use concessions, but some of those lines block the entire corridor.

I didn't use concessions, but some of those lines block the entire corridor.

Let me stare at the register for a bit here ... yeah you ordered a -beep- ... and a what?

-beep-

You wanted what drink again?

:O

Granted I don't give the volunteers any grief as they're just trying to help some cause, but man.

There will always be a certain level of incompetence behind the registers, and I can tolerate that. My point is, if U of M athletics is trying to create a better game day experience, it seems to me a basic expectation would be to have in stock the items that are clearly posted on the menu.

So, you are willing to pay twice as much? Where will the salaries for the hundreds of staff come from? Basic economics...

So, you are willing to pay twice as much? Where will the salaries for the hundreds of staff come from? Basic economics...

The twins hire people for the job right? They're not all volunteers.

Doesn't cost twice as much there...

Maybe if they paid folks who could move faster they could sell more too? I often look at the lines and just ... don't go buy something because of the lines.

Twins have same fundraiser plan.

There will always be a certain level of incompetence behind the registers, and I can tolerate that. My point is, if U of M athletics is trying to create a better game day experience, it seems to me a basic expectation would be to have in stock the items that are clearly posted on the menu.
You clearly have unrealistic expectations. :D Why should the U care about making their customers happy?

In their defense, they may have been conditioned the second half of last year to prepare for >20k at the games.

QUESTION: Can anybody comment on the Gopher Hour reduced concessions before the game on the West End Plaza? I wonder how that went? Were there long lines, did they run out of $2 hot dogs and $5 beers? What brand of beer did you get for $5 (macro, micro, both)?

Comments anyone?

QUESTION: Can anybody comment on the Gopher Hour reduced concessions before the game on the West End Plaza? I wonder how that went? Were there long lines, did they run out of $2 hot dogs and $5 beers? What brand of beer did you get for $5 (macro, micro, both)?

Comments anyone?

I was wondering the same. I didn't get there in time, got there shortly after and saw no sign of it.

Lots of good issues to iron out with Mark Coyle to improve fan experience.

We've got six more home games.

They do job fairs for folks to work concessions....
The Twins have both paid and volunteer workers. Not sure percentages though.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

That's not the issue. There were menu items they simply didn't have on hand, either prior to, or at any point during the game.

Goldysmom and I decided to check the plaza out. Got there around 6:30. They only have one stand with the bargain items, beer, wine, hotdogs and popcorn all at the same stand with 4 people running it. There was 100-150 people on the plaza at that time and the line was pretty long. 12 oz. Lite beer and the standard wine for drinks. I think it’s a great idea to get fans in the stands early, but they need more stands to serve the people.

Comments anyone?

The hot dogs were cold, the beer was Miller and some other brand. Condiments were gone and that was at 6:15. Line wasn’t bad when we went through, but was long shortly after. Kudos for trying this, but wouldn’t do it again.

Only issue I had that no Gyros stands this year.

And since when was a single beer now I forgot if it was 8.50or 9.50???

Only issue I had that no Gyros stands this year.

And since when was a single beer now I forgot if it was 8.50or 9.50???

They also raised the price on some of the beers (Summit for example) by $1 to $10.50 for this year.

I don't think there is any "training" for these people who work the games. My wife and I were on the "tunnel team" as part of our Gopher Rewards Program. We got an email telling us to meet a Gopher Marketing Representative on the main concourse near section 125, just prior to 7:25 PM. We got there about 7:05 and were standing right under the sign marking Section 125. We asked the usher, who happened to be right next to us, if we were at the correct spot. She had a blank look on her face and asked us where we had been told to meet. I said "main concourse outside of Section 125". Mind you, she was standing right under the "125" sign, when she told us that we were in the wrong part of the stadium and that Section 125 was way on the other side. This is coming from an USHER, who has ONE JOB TO DO! (per College Gameday). I pointed above her head at the "125" sign and she looked up and then told us she didn't have any information regarding the tunnel team. No apology, no asking someone else, nothing. Just confirms to me that there is no training, not even the most basic stuff.

Top Bottom