Did we win the game? YES

Gophers_4life

Banned
Reaction score
SDSU would most definitely not finish last in the Big Ten. This was like playing a lower half Big Ten team. This was like a bowl game for them, they gave it their best shot, and we found a way to win.

This result is NOT a disappointment. This result does NOT mean the season is going to be a disappointment.

You learn what you can, you improve as much as you can, and you move on.

Congrats on the win! On to Fresno! :clap:

We are 1-0 in the SDSU season.

Now we are moving on to the Fresno St. season.

The biggest improvement of teams is typically the second week of the season.

This will be the week that really shows what kind of adjustments or improvements the team can make.

Personally i thought the play calling was bad. Should have pounded the ball all night long and wore them down. Especially after that 90 yard drive, the game plan almost went out the window it seemed.

UConn struggled to beat FCS Wagner 24-21. Wagner is rated 219 in Sagarin and they finished 4-7 overall, 3-3 in the Northeast Conference. I think SDSU would have taken UConn.

The biggest improvement of teams is typically the second week of the season.

This will be the week that really shows what kind of adjustments or improvements the team can make.

Personally i thought the play calling was bad. Should have pounded the ball all night long and wore them down. Especially after that 90 yard drive, the game plan almost went out the window it seemed.

I kinda thought the opposite. Should have passed more. It was obvious early that their secondary could not cover the WRs.

I think the Gophers may be in a situation where they have to complete some passes early to set up the run.

I will say I'm surprised (won't say disappointed) that the backs could not break any longer runs. But have to credit SDSU for playing solid defense.

A win is a win. No asterisks here.

I think the Gophers may be in a situation where they have to complete some passes early to set up the run.

I will say I'm surprised (won't say disappointed) that the backs could not break any longer runs. But have to credit SDSU for playing solid defense.

Well, in response to this, I would add that I believe both Smith and Ibrahim, on one occasion each, were a shoelace tackle from going a loooong way. They will come.

By the way, for those of you who didn’t catch it, the thread title is in reference to PJ’s post-game presser. Would definitely encourage watching the first few minutes of his opening comments.

I thought both Smith and Mo ran hard and effectively. Getting yards in a phone booth isn't easy.

This result is NOT a disappointment.
This result does NOT mean the season is going to be a disappointment.

It certainly doesn’t mean the season will be a disappointment. However, if we don’t improve a lot from how we played it will be.

Whereas the result (W) was not a disappointment, you have to wear the biggest maroon colored glasses out there to not think the way we played was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly doesn’t mean the season will be a disappointment. However, if we don’t improve a lot from how we played it will be.

Whereas the result (W) was not a disappointment, you have to wear the biggest maroon colored glasses out there to not think the way we played was.

I agree.

The game was sloppy. To be expected for a first game. These early season games are always a little more difficult to know what's going to happen. That's why I'm glad we get Ohio State in the first game of the year in 2021. Easier to pull off an upset in the first week.

We almost beat USC and TCU in 1st games (or was the USC game a 2nd game) in recent years, and both of those would have been considered big upsets.

That said, yes there are lots of things to clean up and hopefully this game was a bit of a wake up call to the players. If we play like this all year it will be a long season, but I expect us to get up to full speed soon.

It's early season, but current Sagarin ratings coming into the game for context.

53 Minnesota

66 Maryland
67 California
68 South Dakota State
69 Ohio
70 Vanderbilt
71 BYU
72 Arkansas
73 Colorado

You can tell from his opening comments that this was not a very satisfying win for Fleck. Clearly knows they need to improve in many areas, but like he said, it is a win and any win is good.

I will say that all the praise he gave the SDSU staff for its very successful game planning and in-game adjustments is Fleck indirectly acknowledging they were out coached. SDSUs ability to stay on and execute their game plan and successfully adjust and Gophs struggles to adjust is a reflection on the staff.

I expect the staff will figure a lot of things out and we will see a much improved and better prepared Gophs in Fresno.

I dont get all of the histrionics over what is still an undefeated football team. If we actually lose one of our remaining out of conference games, I'll join right in on the pants crapping, but until then, I'll take the wins any way they come.

Didn't we start the 2018 season looking pretty abysmal on the OL? I seem to recall that. I am sure hoping for some large improvements in the trenches.

I kinda thought the opposite. Should have passed more. It was obvious early that their secondary could not cover the WRs.

Agreed - seemed like after that INT, we completely scrapped what was working early.

A lot of encouraging things, and some things most definitely need to be cleaned up, but 1-0 and road to the Rose Bowl is still the road we’re on!

Spot on.

And anyone who says SDSU could play in the B1G — and finish above last place — is delusional in my opinion.

That being said, we all know what happens to a W when it comes at the expense an inferior team in a close contest: that W goes down in GopherHole lore as a W*.

Historically, that is.:cool:

Last edited:

And anyone who says SDSU could play in the B1G — and finish above last place — is delusional in my opinion.

Absurd wishful thinking. Fleck all but explicitly disagreed with you and he likely would if asked. You don’t know squat about football if you really think some stupid FCS label proves anything.

Absurd wishful thinking. Fleck all but explicitly disagreed with you and he likely would if asked. You don’t know squat about football if you really think some stupid FCS label proves anything.

Wishful thinking?

How could even you turn my statement, that SDSU would finish last in the B1G, into "wishful thinking"?

Simply... bizarre. It makes no sense at all.

With 63 scholarships, SDSU would be worn down to the nub by midway through a Big Ten season. The first game of the season is when an FCS team is strongest and most dangerous. I believe they absolutely would finish in last place. That's why an FCS label isn't stupid, it's a reflection of the scholarship reality.

You may be right they wouldn’t finish last (I’d predict 13th), but to use what a coach says after playing a team as evidence is hysterical. You aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be right they wouldn’t finish last (I’d predict 13th), but to use what a coach says after playing a team as evidence is hysterical. You aren’t.

He has to place a bet somewhere on SDSU not finishing last in the Big Ten. Otherwise, you know he doesn't mean it.

My uncle was at the game and sits behind the gopher bench. He said the gophers were listless and had no emotion for the whole game.

I am hoping the gophers were looking at this as a cakewalk, because if they is what they are, we all massively overrated them.

The disturbing thing for me was that both lines were beaten. How the hell do we get a pick 6, have all the momentum, and let them go on a cakewalk 90 yard drive? That drive was easy and such domination that I was almost in shock. I'm rather pissed off at this performance.

Our lines were beaten up. I keep waiting every year for these magical defensive ends that are coming on and improving. They were invisible last night.

Howden had double digit tackles and that had better not continue.

Dunlap and Faalele were beaten like drums on very many plays last night. That shocked the hell out of me too.

Last edited:

Top Bottom