Did we win the game? YES

SDSU kind of lost the game more than we won it... But I'll take the W.

SDSU kind of lost the game more than we won it... But I'll take the W.

Spot on. Their Freshman QB in his first game is why we won the game. He has talent, but the 2 TOS were absolutely, 100% the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can tell from his opening comments that this was not a very satisfying win for Fleck. Clearly knows they need to improve in many areas, but like he said, it is a win and any win is good.

I will say that all the praise he gave the SDSU staff for its very successful game planning and in-game adjustments is Fleck indirectly acknowledging they were out coached. SDSUs ability to stay on and execute their game plan and successfully adjust and Gophs struggles to adjust is a reflection on the staff.

I expect the staff will figure a lot of things out and we will see a much improved and better prepared Gophs in Fresno.

I've always thought that any win was a good win as well. No asterisks needed.

I've always thought that any win was a good win as well. No asterisks needed.

You won’t get any argument on here.... this year.

but to use what a coach says after playing a team as evidence is hysterical.

Indeed, why would Fleck, the guy paid $3.5M to be the head football coach, have the slightest clue of how good SDSU is as a football team, the team he just spent the whole week preparing for as their opponent??

The idea is hilarious. Thank you for pointing that out

Indeed, why would Fleck, the guy paid $3.5M to be the head football coach, have the slightest clue of how good SDSU is as a football team, the team he just spent the whole week preparing for as their opponent??

The idea is hilarious. Thank you for pointing that out

Are you 6?
Please tell me the last time after a game where a coach didn’t compliment the other team.
I’ll hang up and listen.

Are you 6?
Please tell me the last time after a game where a coach didn’t compliment the other team.
I’ll hang up and listen.

Paul Chryst after the Axe game last year.

Are you 6?
I’ll hang up and listen.

I think we established g4l is actually 12...based on his "in my lifetime" post from a few weeks ago.

I think we established g4l is actually 12...based on his "in my lifetime" post from a few weeks ago.

Ah hah! You know, you may be on to something there. I was wondering how old G4L is, because there is definitely a juvenile quality there.

Possibly in the 7th or 8th grade? Might be a damn good guess!

I am hoping the gophers were looking at this as a cakewalk, because if they is what they are, we all massively overrated them.

Massively overrating the Gophers is an annual occurrence on this site.

Number 21 Iowa State needs 3 OTs to beat Northern Iowa by 3 at home. People need to move on who are so upset with a close victory by the Gophers. Played bad yet won. Make corrections hopefully and move on.

Number 21 Iowa State needs 3 OTs to beat Northern Iowa by 3 at home. People need to move on who are so upset with a close victory by the Gophers. <b>Played bad yet won. </b>Make corrections hopefully and move on.

Isn’t the bolded what everyone is saying?
No one I have seen has declared the season a loss or anything more.

Saw St-Juste on participation list but don't recall seeing him on defense. ST maybe? Hope they get him in more next game.

Ah hah! You know, you may be on to something there. I was wondering how old G4L is, because there is definitely a juvenile quality there.

Possibly in the 7th or 8th grade? Might be a damn good guess!

Are you saying that being an old D Bag is better than being a young D Bag?

Isn’t the bolded what everyone is saying?
No one I have seen has declared the season a loss or anything more.

It's funny how people can go off on rants about posts on Gopher Hole which they vehemently disagree with — despite the fact that those posts they disagree with so vehemently don't actually exist anywhere on Gopher Hole!

NO ONE has said the season is over. NO ONE has called for Fleck to be fired. NOT ONE PERSON.

There are people here who are disappointed in how the team looked against SDSU. I am one of them.

Expressing this opinion is NOT THE SAME as saying the season is over!

It's funny how people can go off on rants about posts on Gopher Hole which they vehemently disagree with — despite the fact that those posts they disagree with so vehemently don't actually exist anywhere on Gopher Hole!

NO ONE has said the season is over. NO ONE has called for Fleck to be fired. NOT ONE PERSON.

There are people here who are disappointed in how the team looked against SDSU. I am one of them.

Expressing this opinion is NOT THE SAME as saying the season is over!

You are spot on, but too many folks want to be the “real” fan that defends the Gophers from those “fans”. It doesn’t matter if it was actually said, so long as it supports the cause. Exaggerate, make up, extrapolate, whatever it takes. I’m starting to see why they like PJ so much.

You are spot on, but too many folks want to be the “real” fan that defends the Gophers from those “fans”. It doesn’t matter if it was actually said, so long as it supports the cause. Exaggerate, make up, extrapolate, whatever it takes. I’m starting to see why they like PJ so much.

Well, I like P.J. ... but I don't go off on rants about imaginary posts.

To me, if you like P.J. you must think he's a solid coach. If you believe the guy can coach, then you should also expect that he'll bring us success.

But... it just doesn't work that way for some people on GH. If you have high expectations for the program, they are suspicious of your motives.

It's weird.

Please, all I said was that they played bad and still won and pointed out how another team struggled with a likely lesser FCS opponent than SDSU. The 1st game of the season and people were upset with several things about the game. I tend to give any coaching staff the benefit of the doubt that they will fix things for the next game. Most teams have a bad game now and again. If they do not fix things, I will also be upset with their play because it will eventually lead to losses.

Please, all I said was that they played bad and still won and pointed out how another team struggled with a likely lesser FCS opponent than SDSU. The 1st game of the season and people were upset with several things about the game. I tend to give any coaching staff the benefit of the doubt that they will fix things for the next game. Most teams have a bad game now and again. If they do not fix things, I will also be upset with their play because it will eventually lead to losses.

All I want is for people to be able to express frustration for <b>how bad we played</b> - without it meaning we are panicking, think we suck, think we won’t win 5-games, can’t recover, want coaches fired, etc. - oh, and w/o having to listen to ridiculous elevation of SDSU so that we can feel like we did anything other than <I>escape</I> with a victory in a game we were totally out-played and out-coached in by an inferior opponent.

All I want is for people to be able to express frustration for <b>how bad we played</b> - without it meaning we are panicking, think we suck, think we won’t win 5-games, can’t recover, want coaches fired, etc. - oh, and w/o having to listen to ridiculous elevation of SDSU so that we can feel like we did anything other than <I>escape</I> with a victory in a game we were totally out-played and out-coached in by an inferior opponent.

Boom. Nailed it.

And all I want is for people to not assume that people are sniffing PJ's jock when they try to put the first game into perspective. I've supported and yet have questioned how Mason, Kill, Claeys, and PJ have coached over the years but just like pro-PJ folks appear to get on your nerves, the whining following a win in the 1st game of the season bugs me. They stink it up against Fresno and I'll be frustrated by the bad play just like you.

Sometimes people react to a post by reading things into it based on a posters inflammatory history (In general, in this case I've lost track of what was said that got everyone riled up)

Sometimes people react to a post by reading things into it based on a posters inflammatory history (In general, in this case I've lost track of what was said that got everyone riled up)

I think this is true.

I think we can all agree that the performance was disappointing, but this team is better than they looked. Now we have to see if the coaches can fix on the fly and bring out the players best this Saturday. IMO we're going to need a near flawless game to come back to MPLS 2-0.

I think we can all agree that the performance was disappointing, but this team is better than they looked. Now we have to see if the coaches can fix on the fly and bring out the players best this Saturday. IMO we're going to need a near flawless game to come back to MPLS 2-0.

I expect PJ will kick these guys in the butt all week and we will look far better this Saturday. I’d be surprised if we don’t beat the Fresno team I have seen so far tonight.

Rational discussion about the game and the team would be great, and it does happen in most of the threads it just always gets buried by the petty bickering that also creeps its way into every single thread in here. Look back at the off-season threads, nearly every one turned into a pro-Fleck/anti-Fleck argument regardless of what the topic was.

Would be great if people could ignore the one liners and posts that are just trying to piss people off but it never happens.

As for the game against SDSU it is 100% fair to be disappointed/concerned with how the team played. It is just important to keep things in perspective and not over react to the first game. The majority of posters in here get that you just wouldn't know it when you read the threads because there is so much other crap that gets mixed in and clouds the discussion or turns it into yet another petty shouting match between a coupe of posters.

Top Bottom