Maybe it was the beers, maybe it was the late start...

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
But tonight felt really dull in the stadium. Could have been the lack of exciting plays (there were a couple though) or just the general malaise of the fan base but it wasn’t that loud or upbeat or anything despite the larger than normal crowd. Students were really quiet as well.

I don’t know, but it wasn’t great. Need better music or something. Hopefully better going forward.

But tonight felt really dull in the stadium. Could have been the lack of exciting plays (there were a couple though) or just the general malaise of the fan base but it wasn’t that loud or upbeat or anything despite the larger than normal crowd. Students were really quiet as well.

I don’t know, but it wasn’t great. Need better music or something. Hopefully better going forward.

"Better music"? Really?

How about better football, played by the home team?

"Better music"? Really?

How about better football, played by the home team?

I meant specifically to get students into it. You can control many aspects of the game day experience. Music is one of them.

Where were you sitting last night?

Seemed like every other gopher game I've gone to. Crowd has no idea when to get loud. One of the loudest moments was when we were trying to punch it in at the goal line. It'd also be nice to get some ushers at the aisles, people were walking up and down constantly in the middle of plays.

Seemed like every other gopher game I've gone to. Crowd has no idea when to get loud. One of the loudest moments was when we were trying to punch it in at the goal line. It'd also be nice to get some ushers at the aisles, people were walking up and down constantly in the middle of plays.

I agree. It seemed subdued. On 3rd downs very few people bothered to stand up and I can't believe that people were cheering and making noise when we're on the goal line. C'mon folks. I think it is a nervousness that fans don't know what to expect with this team so they're going to remain calm until they are given something to cheer about. Unfortunately the boys didn't play their best last night.

Agree on the need for ushers controlling the aisles during the game. Far too many people appear ABSOLUTELY OBLIVIOUS as far as their timing and the effect on others view of the game action. It's actually pretty incredible. Baseball does their best to try to control this.

It's a good suggestion for when you get your game day experience poll.

I actually thought the crowd was fairly loud on a number of 3rd down defensive plays.

I actually thought the crowd was fairly loud on a number of 3rd down defensive plays.

You might be right. I sit near the top of the upper deck and I think it always sounds dead but I think it is louder down low.

You might be right. I sit near the top of the upper deck and I think it always sounds dead but I think it is louder down low.

Home side, lower level, upper rows and it gets loud, but I think there are spaces where the sound doesn't really reverberate much. It might also just echo a lot near me so maybe I just hear it louder at that time. People around me were into it.

Thought the stadium was very full for an FBS opponent, lots of SDSU fans sprinkled around, Good turnout from the student section. Noise level seemed high on 3rd downs,

There were definitely times where the stadium was loud:
- Bateman 1-handed TD grab
- pick six
- game winning TD

And there were a few drives where folks got loud for 3rd down SDSU driving.

Saying this too often: Too many drunks. People buying two beers at a time and all the way up to last call. Not real kid friendly anymore.

Saying this too often: Too many drunks. People buying two beers at a time and all the way up to last call. Not real kid friendly anymore.

Man I've not experienced that at TCF outside some drunk'n Wisc fans (who for some reason usually get into it with each other) and a random Neb fan issue. Otherwise my area is pretty kid heavy / friendly.

Man I've not experienced that at TCF outside some drunk'n Wisc fans (who for some reason usually get into it with each other) and a random Neb fan issue. Otherwise my area is pretty kid heavy / friendly.

There were a lot of kids around me in the probably 8-13 age range. All seemed pretty into it but definitely faded as it got later. One pretty drunk woman behind me but aside from yelling "LETS GO MINNY" in my ear every two minutes wasn't bothering anyone.

Only seen a few people I'd say were drunk enough to be a hazard in all the games I've attended.

Hey kid, get off my grass!

I didn't run into a single person I would consider drunk last night. Ran into several at Sunday's afternoon Twins game.

Unless someone is falling down, slurring speech, and/or saying some really bad stuff, due to being intoxicated, I'm just curious why you think kids would be harmed by someone purchasing two beers?

Unless someone is falling down, slurring speech, and/or saying some really bad stuff, due to being intoxicated, I'm just curious why you think kids would be harmed by someone purchasing two beers?

TWO BEERS AT THE SAME TIME!! How awful to allow people to drink alcohol at a pace they deem OK for themselves. And certainly they'd never be grabbing two beers and giving one to a spouse or friend they are attending the game with.

It'd also be nice to get some ushers at the aisles, people were walking up and down constantly in the middle of plays.

This is spot on. The Gopher fan base in general is completely oblivious as to when it's appropriate to walk up and down the stairs. I've sat in 6 or 7 different spots throughout my years as a season ticket holder and it's been the same everywhere.

Hell, last night I had to ask the usher to step back from the field because she was standing as far out as she could, blocking half the field, and I didn't pay to stare at the back of her head all night.

Agreed on fans leaving bad times. Happens every game, we had ball and was 3rd and short, just prior snap row behind me started mass Exodus.

My only complaint was when I stood to yell when we were on defense and the ball was near me (open end zone), people looked at me funny rather than getting up to do the same, that is until the last drive on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down plays.

My only complaint was when I stood to yell when we were on defense and the ball was near me (open end zone), people looked at me funny rather than getting up to do the same, that is until the last drive on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down plays.

Happy with 49k, and most people stayed for most of the game despite late start.

The contrast in here is interesting how much of this stuff I did or didn't see ... at all.

TWO BEERS AT THE SAME TIME!! How awful to allow people to drink alcohol at a pace they deem OK for themselves. And certainly they'd never be grabbing two beers and giving one to a spouse or friend they are attending the game with.

Or just not wanting to wait in line twice and miss more of the game...

THIS! You try to cheer on the team and people get annoyed that you stand up for a big spot. I've been yelled at to sit down before.

I’d also like our crowd to yell “ball” when opposing QB puts it up.

Somebody who participated in debate, what do we call this kind of response? You know, when you mischaracterize part of someone else's argument and ignore their main point? I know there's a name for it. I think the point was that the poster observed someone or multiple intoxicated someones two-fisting their drinks all evening, right up to the last call. In fact I know that was the point, because that's what the poster wrote.

Back when the U announced beer sales on campus I thought that if I wanted to encounter obnoxiously drunk visiting fans I could just attend a Vikings game. I'm glad to say it hasn't happened yet at a Gophers game, but but I'm always on the alert when (once or twice a year) I bring my kids to a game.

Somebody who participated in debate, what do we call this kind of response? You know, when you mischaracterize part of someone else's argument and ignore their main point? I know there's a name for it. I think the point was that the poster observed someone or multiple intoxicated someones two-fisting their drinks all evening, right up to the last call. In fact I know that was the point, because that's what the poster wrote.

Back when the U announced beer sales on campus I thought that if I wanted to encounter obnoxiously drunk visiting fans I could just attend a Vikings game. I'm glad to say it hasn't happened yet at a Gophers game, but but I'm always on the alert when (once or twice a year) I bring my kids to a game.

I attend 5ish gopher games at home per year. Never seen someone I thought was drunk. The poster was complaining to complain and making points with no purpose. They didn’t say they were drinking all the beers. They said they had multiple beers in their hands at last call.

Where did you sit for the game last night?

Top Bottom