[POST GAME THREAD] - Minnesota defeats SDSU 28-21

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
What’d you think, gopherhole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDSU is a good football team.

The line play for Minnesota has to get better.

I'm happy the Gophers are 1-0 and that college football is back.

Should be great weather this weekend!

Morgan was pretty good. Bateman was the star. Line play on both sides was bad.

Impossible to know what kind of team we have. We could be bad. SDSU could be amazing (I expect they are). Or it could be an off-game. Which is even worse. I hate severe inconsistency more than anything.

Both lines need to play better. We played coverage like we were putting pressure on the QB when we weren't

A win is a win.

However, gotta shake off the rust. Gotta figure out why we were doing so badly on both lines.

Honestly, the line play on both sides is what gave us the trouble. To many times Tanner had no time to throw, or 5he defender was right next to the RB right away. We shouldn't have given up so many rushing yards.

Clean up the line play, and that game would not have been close.

What’d you think, gopherhole?

Brutal.

Both side of the line need to shape up. Once, that has happened, then we can focus on other parts of the game. Nothing else matters if your line lets the other team through like a sieve.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Might not be the best idea to have two heavyweights on one side of the line. They looked SLOW. Gophers deserve credit for winning. However, SDSU exposed Gopher weaknesses, which is not a good thing in week one. Morgan was efficient, which is good. But arm strength is still an issue. Defensively, SDSU controlled the line of scrimmage. Gophers were fortunate to be playing against a RS freshman QB playing in his first game. It took him a while to get comfortable. But once he did, SDSU moved the ball at will on the ground and through the air. At Fresno State is going to a huge challenge. Huge challenge on the road.

It looked like the first game of the year for a still young offense.

Defense has a lot more experience. Didn’t play great but made a couple plays in the end to get the win.

JackRabbits are a really good FCS team. The Gophers only being 2 TD favorite shows it wasn’t going to be easy.

Gophers are going to have to kick it in the end zone and try for touchbacks if they can't cover better than that. Flashbacks of Ryan Santoso unsuccessfully trying to pin them in the corner.

A win is a win. But we're probably underdogs next week if we weren't already.

The young LB’s got did not play well either. SDSU had a great game plan and really outplayed us the second half.

Really,really,really disappointed with both tackles. They acted like they had never, ever seen the defensive linemen use a twist to rush the QB. Hello, that’s taught in the Junior High in Edina.

Before the game I would have been happy with a W and limited injuries. AB out but hopefully not serious. But after watching the poor line play, tackling, kicking game and play calling I'm much more concerned about this team.

1-0. Lots to work on. Our play on the LOS has to get better. We didn’t run the ball nearly as well as I thought we would. Our front seven on defense must improve. I thought our secondary played well. Cony Durr was solid. Pretty vanilla offense hope to see more next week. No passes that I remember to the TE’s. Great week of coaching coming up.
Big thing, we did what we had to, to win.

SDSU is a very good team. They are going to win a lot of games.

We need to be much more physical. That’s how we ended the season last year.

Last edited:

Thought we'd dominate on both lines. I was wrong. Wow. On OL, I guess starting a rFr, Soph, very suspect LT, and new but talented C was gonna be more difficult than suspected despite the talent. Better get it cleaned up quick.

DL was outplayed badly despite the pub they were getting late in camp. LBs looked SLOW, wow. Looked like the middle of last season with the indecisiveness on various motions and backfield looks.

K missed an extra point and looked shaky on one more.

KO coverage gave up two massive returns. STs supposed to be improved with the depth.

Won the game. Outweighs all of the above but doesn't cure tonight's heartburn.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This looked like a team picked to finish 6th in the west, not 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

I would have liked to see the Gophers play a little more aggressively on defense earlier in the game. They allowed that QB to get too comfortable and settle in well. SDSU executed their offense nicely for the most part and you could tell the Gophers were unable to key in and disrupt what the Rabbits were doing.

Offensively, you could tell the game plan was just to blow them away with size in the trenches however the quickness of SDSUs defensive front really caused problems. The Gophers did not do much to make the Rabbits pay for bringing extra men into the box. One thing I don’t understand is why the Gophers want to run between the tackles but keep their lineman with such narrow splits. I think going forward they will show a more aggressive and varied offensive game plan.

Overall not a very inspiring game. SDSU appeared well coached and if not for a few self-inflicted blunders they may have walked out of TCF stadium with a victory. Difficult to evaluate these non conference games as coaching staffs do treat these games somewhat like NFL preseason - evaluate players, execute a simple game plan, work out the kinks, avoid injuries. Still you would like to see some better halftime adjustments and not get completely out coached in the second half for the most part. This Gophers team still has some growing up to do.

Our kicker takes a long time to get ready for his PAT's. Bothers me.

Dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Paulson had a very bad game. Not sure anyone on defense played well. I noticed Terel Smith didn’t play much. It was obvious early on that we had a huge advantage at WR. I would have really opened it up.

Got a few gifts, took advantage of them. 1-0, learn from it and move on.

Outside of the horrendous line play, four big points of concern for me: (1) CC45 clearly has an ankle injury of some sort; (2) the next wave of LBs (Rush, Sori-M, Oliver) really seemed to struggle; (3) Our kicker looks like he has a range of about 30 yards; and (4) kick return coverage was absolutely brutal.

Tonight was very sobering, but I think this team will improve. Also will say SDSU looked like a lower mid tier big ten team, which is better than I anticipated.

I think if SDSU didn't have a freshman starting his first game at QB it could have been a long night for us. That kid is going to be good, but had a couple of freshmen mistakes.

According to a Jacks fan, their All-American QB from last year should have been a fifth-year senior this year but they pulled his redshirt halfway through his freshman year because of injuries.

Either way...its a Gopher win...on to next week!

Might not be the best idea to have two heavyweights on one side of the line. They looked SLOW. Gophers deserve credit for winning. However, SDSU exposed Gopher weaknesses, which is not a good thing in week one. Morgan was efficient, which is good. But arm strength is still an issue. Defensively, SDSU controlled the line of scrimmage. Gophers were fortunate to be playing against a RS freshman QB playing in his first game. It took him a while to get comfortable. But once he did, SDSU moved the ball at will on the ground and through the air. At Fresno State is going to a huge challenge. Huge challenge on the road.

Yeah, weather and game time will pose challenges in addition to playing against a team that won 12 games last season. Central Valley is about 93/63 temperature wise and the game is 9:30 CST. Hydration is critical.

I wonder if the Gophers are going there early for acclimation. Hydration has to start almost early next week. The support staff's role is going to be critical.

They are a very good team. We probably didn't take them seriously enough. A win is a win. However, if they have the same issues in the second game, then we're in trouble. Most concerning is how passive and confused we looked on defense, especially in the second half.

Grant Ryerse is doing kick off duty.

Hoped TJ had gotten rid of the drops- gonna hurt his draft stock if it continues

I was disgusted by what I saw tonight. My biggest concern about tonight is that there were glaring issues that were not "week 1" things. The offensive and defensive lines both failed to impose their will on an FCS team and you could easily argue that South Dakota State was more physical on both lines. We were told that the offensive line would be a strength this year and supposedly the defensive line made big strides in fall camp. Instead, neither seems up to just holding their own in the B1G much less be a reason why the Gophers head to Indy. The next issue was the coaching. The Gopher staff could never get anyone to set the edge on defense allowing SDSU positive first down runs over and over again. On the other side of the ball, the Gophers continued to run the draw up the middle in to a sea of bodies on play after play. The decision to punt on 4th and medium from the 36 yard line to start the game was bad, the decision to waste a timeout to punt the ball from near midfield on 4th and 2 late was even worse. You just can't screw up basic stuff like that as a head coach. I can't point to a single position group that had a strong game tonight, tons of missed assignments and sloppy play everywhere.

Listened to postgame interview just now: Sounds like Kamal will be back next week. "Not going to sacrifice the culture to play guys. He has to do the right thing. But he paid the price."

O-line and D front 7 need work. Playmakers on both offense and defense pulled it out.

Top Bottom