Rossi honeymoon is over! Time to fire!

They made two big mistakes, not sure I'd call them sloppy for the game though. I just think it's funny people are calling for the DCs head after giving up 21 points.

Again, nobody is calling for his head...the OP had some fun using a sarcastic click bait thread title. As a whole Gophs were pretty sloppy. They have a lot of opportunity to shore things up before Fresno. Relax.

Again, nobody is calling for his head...the OP had some fun using a sarcastic click bait thread title.

Yes, it's mildly startling that the obvious sarcasm isn't so obvious to some.

Sometime teams, workers, soldiers, whatever quit on leaders for various reasons. Probably everyone here has been part of an organization or two with unbelievably a)incompetent, b) tone deaf, c) both management. Could be as simple as new guys up top and renewed motivation as one of the factors. Sometimes things really are that simple. New blood and better communication.

Yes, valid point. Could've been a factor last season.

yep but cannot give my sources
Can you tell us the reason without naming your sources? I give you permission.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I know an angle to the story that involves another player (at the time), but I suspect it would set GH ablaze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta love who showed up on the first page of the the thread, dropped their bombs, and then slipped away.

It doesn't take that many people sleep-walking in a game for the whole team to look out of sorts. Clearly not everyone on the roster took SDSU seriously, no matter what the staff told them leading up to the game.

Gotta love who showed up on the first page of the the thread, dropped their bombs, and then slipped away.

It doesn't take that many people sleep-walking in a game for the whole team to look out of sorts. Clearly not everyone on the roster took SDSU seriously, no matter what the staff told them leading up to the game.

Also keep in mind that other than Barber our linebackers had about 20 defensive snaps combined prior to this game.

sorry I really cant it would do no good bringing up old crap but lets hope it doesn't happen again

Man I hope that is the case and we don't actually ... suck.

That's probably correct.

Care to take a guess at what some of those other factors were, other than Smith being fired and Rossi promoted to interim DCoord??

Because other than that particular factor, off the top of my head, I can't think of any other changes that coincided with the Gopher defense last year going from getting gashed by Illinois to a step change improvement for the last four games.

I am sure it as a factor, but match ups, an offense's controlling the ball, and most importantly the unpredictability of how 19 and 20 year olds will play at any given moment are also very big factors.

Anyone seriously calling for Rossi to be fired after last night is out of their mind. The defense didn't play great last night but it is not like they dropped 50 on us. Let's see how he does in the weeks ahead when he has current game film to work off of as opposed to the first game of the year when you have no clue what a team like SDSU is going to throw at you as they pull out all the stops in an effort to spring the upset.

Getting some more help from the offense and special teams would be nice as well. Neither unit did a ton to help the D last night.

I keep hearing stuff like this. Are there no video cameras in South Dakota?

The defense wasn't great by any means, but it wasn't horrific, they gave up 21 points scored seven and set up the offense for a 30 yards drive for another 7. If our offense didn't sputter the entire game it would have been a comfortable win.

Funny, but I think a person could argue with a straight face that the exact opposite is true: The defense's inability to get off the field didn't allow the offense to get into rhythm.

I suspect both are true. The bottom line is we didn't distinguish ourselves at any facet of the game, including special teams.

JTG

Funny, but I think a person could argue with a straight face that the exact opposite is true: The defense's inability to get off the field didn't allow the offense to get into rhythm.

I suspect both are true. The bottom line is we didn't distinguish ourselves at any facet of the game, including special teams.

JTG

The defense contributed a pick-six. And their QB fumbled, our offense drove the ball down the field to score a TD.

Those two plays/drives won the game.

So, at times, we got it done in both phases.

JTG

SDSU started the game with 7 plays punt, 4 plays punt, 3 plays punt.

SDSU started the game with 7 plays punt, 4 plays punt, 3 plays punt.

Which would be about a 15 play initial script. Probing here and there, figuring out what they want to do on the first change up.

Next drive, they started on their 34 and only took five plays to get down to the 1 yard line (five plays for 17-11-11-9-17 yards).

Which would be about a 15 play initial script. Probing here and there, figuring out what they want to do on the first change up.

Next drive, they started on their 34 and only took five plays to get down to the 1 yard line (five plays for 17-11-11-9-17 yards).

I'm just saying the offense not being able to get in a rhythm due to SDSU staying on the field doesn't really jive to me. It wasn't until the game was half over that SDSU started to possess the ball longer, the offense had every opportunity to get in a rhythm.

I'm just saying the offense not being able to get in a rhythm due to SDSU staying on the field doesn't really jive to me. It wasn't until the game was half over that SDSU started to possess the ball longer, the offense had every opportunity to get in a rhythm.

True.

But when we needed them most (after the fumble), they came through. Also the spectacular catch from Bateman, will be on every season-wide highlight real for the Gophs this season, already.

Yeah, this defense will not cut it IB thre big ten. Book it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Our D looks suspect. I know we don't play against the triple option very often but we should be able to adjust better than we are today.

Manhandled on the line.

Manhandled on the line.

Such brilliance.

Into the 4th quarter and GSU has less than 200 total yds of offense.

No stops in short fields. None.

GS 198 total yards. Yeah, can him. Another idiotic thread.

This thread is so hor$esh^t. The dude who started it, I can only imagine his emotional intelligence.

Top Bottom