Gophers will host Pitino's former school

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
FIU visits The Barn on Dec. 28, likely the Gophers' final non-conference game of the 2019-20 season.

Here's how Gophers' non-conference slate currently stacks up:

Average NET of Non-Conference Opponents: 7/781 = 111.571 (presumably 4 games TBD)

Nov. 5: #283 CLEVELAND STATE
Nov. 9: vs. #32 Oklahoma (Sioux Falls)
Nov. 12: @ #66 Butler (Gavitt Tipoff)
Nov. 15: @ #97 Utah
Dec. 2: #45 CLEMSON (ACC Challenge)
Dec. 21: vs. #72 Oklahoma State (Tulsa)
Dec. 28: #186 FIU

Date TBD: HOME (Gophers MTE)

Last edited:

I like this schedule. Should be some challenging games.

I like this schedule. Should be some challenging games.

It's very, very solid so far. Unless 3 or 4 of the remaining games are vs. teams in the 300s, it has a chance to be one of the top 3-5 non-conference schedules in the Big Ten. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State certainly are potential NCAA squads. Maybe Butler, too.

It's very, very solid so far. Unless 3 or 4 of the remaining games are vs. teams in the 300s, it has a chance to be one of the top 3-5 non-conference schedules in the Big Ten. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State certainly are potential NCAA squads. Maybe Butler, too.

I'd imagine there will be 1-2 teams in the 300s and the others in the 200s. Need to balance between cupcakes and too tough of a OOC schedule. Oklahoma (neutral site), @ Butler, @ Utah is a tough week.

I'd imagine there will be 1-2 teams in the 300s and the others in the 200s. Need to balance between cupcakes and too tough of a OOC schedule. Oklahoma (neutral site), @ Butler, @ Utah is a tough week.

I think he needs to go out of his way to avoid 300+ games. Even getting a high 100 low 200 makes a big difference, but still gives the team the "cupcake confidence" effect. As Selection suggests, it would be great to have a top 5 NC schedule this year. I'm sure there are a lot of 175-225 type teams that would be happy with a buy game at the Barn.

If SS is reading this, do Gophers control the MTE games or are they assigned?

I think he needs to go out of his way to avoid 300+ games. Even getting a high 100 low 200 makes a big difference, but still gives the team the "cupcake confidence" effect. As Selection suggests, it would be great to have a top 5 NC schedule this year. I'm sure there are a lot of 175-225 type teams that would be happy with a buy game at the Barn.

I’m not certain about this. My guess is it’s a collaborative effort with whoever it is that lines up the schools. Generally speaking in these 5-teamers, you’ll get 1 good opponent, 1 that’s decent, and 2 that are total cupcakes

I don’t think avoiding 300s really matters anymore. Beat them by 50 and the net ranking is boosted more than the SOS is hurt

Setting up really well so far. Hoping Utah can slightly improve on last season and along with Butler allow for a couple winnable Q1 wins. OU should be a Q1 game as well. Clemson and Oklahoma State could be Q2 games. I expect Cleveland State to end up in the 300's given how their off-season has gone. And don't know too much about FIU currently.

Setting up really well so far. Hoping Utah can slightly improve on last season and along with Butler allow for a couple winnable Q1 wins. OU should be a Q1 game as well. Clemson and Oklahoma State could be Q2 games. I expect Cleveland State to end up in the 300's given how their off-season has gone. And don't know too much about FIU currently.
I agree if we can take advantage and go 9-2 or 10-1 it should set us up well come conference play

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom