Chip: Gophers defense will determine if they can contend in Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The turnaround was so sudden and so striking — and let’s be honest, so completely out of nowhere — that attempting to explain it felt like an assault on common sense.

The Gophers fielded one of the worst defenses in college football last season … until they became a brick wall.

Yes, P.J. Fleck fired his defensive coordinator once the elevator hit rock bottom, but it still seems strange that an in-season coordinator change could have that kind of impact.

Like a flip of a light switch, a unit that couldn’t tackle or cover started tackling and covering. Once discombobulated and emotionally comatose, the defense displayed cohesion and a sense of purpose under interim coordinator Joe Rossi, who got the permanent gig in a move that was less suspenseful than a 5-year-old choosing chicken nuggets for lunch.

Now for the follow-up act. Time to find out if that four-game flourish to close 2018 becomes a starting point for a new season.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-defense-will-determine-if-they-can-contend-in-big-ten/558632312/

Go Gophers!!

Good writeup and agree that the defense will determine the outcome of this season because I just don't see how the offense struggles if the key players are able to stay healthy.

Pretty obvious.

I don't think they'll be dominate, but I hope we can avoid the embarrassment of giving up 200 yards rushing it the 1st quarter

It didn't come out of nowhere...

....so where did it come from.

I've heard explanations that the backers were too tight and got caught in the wash, or that the DBs were thinking too much. But it appeared that the players didn't like the scheme and didn't play well in it. Or was there some covert animosity.

I've really yet to hear a credible explanation!

....so where did it come from.

I've heard explanations that the backers were too tight and got caught in the wash, or that the DBs were thinking too much. But it appeared that the players didn't like the scheme and didn't play well in it. Or was there some covert animosity.

I've really yet to hear a credible explanation!

My wild guess/speculation was that Smith made the scheme too complicated. Paralysis by analysis. And then Rossi just came in an simplified everything, let the players play simple and fast.

Like I said, wild guess.

My wild guess/speculation was that Smith made the scheme too complicated. Paralysis by analysis. And then Rossi just came in an simplified everything, let the players play simple and fast.

Like I said, wild guess.

Yep...at various times both Rossi and Fleck have all but outright said it. My sense is that the scheme probably could not be a successful one, period.

Top Bottom