Coaches

builtbadgers

Reaction score
Norlander has a very insightful article up on CBS about the most difficult coaches to prepare for with great quotes. Very telling.

Candid Coaches: Who is the toughest coach to prepare for in college basketball?

Who's the guy who keeps you up at night? Who's the coach who, no matter how well you prepare and no matter how formidable the talent he's got may be, still puts your stomach in knots and instills a dark cloud over your head 24, 48, 72 hours before game time?

College basketball has a lot of talented and creative coaches, a lot of interesting minds with varying methods in how they succeed. But there's a subset of coaches who have an ability -- obvious, overlooked or fine-drawn -- to tweak, adapt, adjust ... and ultimately win. Win a lot more often than a lot of other coaches. Every profession has its great, its good, its average and its mediocre or worse.

Some coaches are easier to go against than others. Some coaches are so good, there's often no stopping it, usually because of their roster talent.

Others, the ones we're talking about here, are so maddening for another reason: they're likely to have an answer for everything you throw at them. They're swift with a pivot and, because of that, some of the best in the business.

That in mind, here's our latest question we lobbed at coaches of across all levels of Division I men's hoops:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...t-coach-to-prepare-for-in-college-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

Candid Coaches: Who is the toughest coach to prepare for in college basketball?

Who's the guy who keeps you up at night? Who's the coach who, no matter how well you prepare and no matter how formidable the talent he's got may be, still puts your stomach in knots and instills a dark cloud over your head 24, 48, 72 hours before game time?

College basketball has a lot of talented and creative coaches, a lot of interesting minds with varying methods in how they succeed. But there's a subset of coaches who have an ability -- obvious, overlooked or fine-drawn -- to tweak, adapt, adjust ... and ultimately win. Win a lot more often than a lot of other coaches. Every profession has its great, its good, its average and its mediocre or worse.

Some coaches are easier to go against than others. Some coaches are so good, there's often no stopping it, usually because of their roster talent.

Others, the ones we're talking about here, are so maddening for another reason: they're likely to have an answer for everything you throw at them. They're swift with a pivot and, because of that, some of the best in the business.

That in mind, here's our latest question we lobbed at coaches of across all levels of Division I men's hoops:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...t-coach-to-prepare-for-in-college-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

I bet if Beilien was still at Michigan, the B10 would have 3 coaches on that list. Is interesting to see two B10 guys and 2 ACC and only one from other conferences. Quotes were great as well.

Your point is to marginalize Pitino. At every turn.

Stupid. It's apparent to anyone with a minimal amount of basketball knowledge that Pitino is just not a good bench coach at present. Quality recruiting can overcome any coaching deficiencies.

Simply not true. Praised him for various aspects of recruiting, several times for great prep before some games. I do not need to marginalize him. The record says everything. Me having the opinion that he is no better than 8th in the conference is my opinion. Your opinion is that he has done well against Painter. I did not go after you for thinking he has done well against him. This was about coaches that are difficult to prepare against. You wanted it to be about Painter-Pitino.

Simply not true. Praised him for various aspects of recruiting, several times for great prep before some games. I do not need to marginalize him. The record says everything. Me having the opinion that he is no better than 8th in the conference is my opinion. Your opinion is that he has done well against Painter. I did not go after you for thinking he has done well against him. This was about coaches that are difficult to prepare against. You wanted it to be about Painter-Pitino.

For all the crap people give Pitino for his coaching, his team's defense against Purdue at the end of the season forcing 5 for 35 from a guy who torched the NCAA tournament was pretty good! He had to have something to do with at least approving that defensive scheme.

For all the crap people give Pitino for his coaching, his team's defense against Purdue at the end of the season forcing 5 for 35 from a guy who torched the NCAA tournament was pretty good! He had to have something to do with at least approving that defensive scheme.

Posted right after that game that the staff did a tremendous job in preparing for that game.

We've had some good battles with Purdue since Pitino took over. The only years where it was bad was two years ago when our roster was gutted. As for recruiting, it's not an exact science. Our top four class last year has as much to do with quantity as it does quality. If you re did the 2018 rankings, Gabe is probably a top 40 recruit along with Oturu. UVA had a two star freshman starting in the title game. Find guys who fit. Greenlee already looks more reliable than Jelly did, and he's rated 400 spots lower. Freeman rated 200 spots lower than Konate and he looks way more fluid on the court

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We have to keep upgrading our roster and as bemidji says- find guys that fit. Last year we had solid talent but an odd mix of talent and no depth. Gabe was the only guy you had to worry about from long range, the rest were below average shooters. I think Pitino coached that group pretty well and I don't think one of the great coaches in the game would have won more games in the Big Ten with that group. Right now with the guys we have, adding Garcia, Walton and perhaps a PG like Berry or Mashburn would be enough to make a run at the Big Ten championship next year. From there, I think the program would be off and running and in a better place to compete for the best Minnesota players and out of state players going forward. This class is a difference maker for the program.

We have to keep upgrading our roster and as bemidji says- find guys that fit. Last year we had solid talent but an odd mix of talent and no depth. Gabe was the only guy you had to worry about from long range, the rest were below average shooters. I think Pitino coached that group pretty well and I don't think one of the great coaches in the game would have won more games in the Big Ten with that group. Right now with the guys we have, adding Garcia, Walton and perhaps a PG like Berry or Mashburn would be enough to make a run at the Big Ten championship next year. From there, I think the program would be off and running and in a better place to compete for the best Minnesota players and out of state players going forward. This class is a difference maker for the program.

You think that there is not a coach that would have won more with that group ? What is the point of having a great coach ? Or you think Pitino is one of the best. I actually know of dozens of coaches that would have won more with that group. They would have played far better defense, had fewer turnovers and taken better shots. In any event, he did a good enough job to return and he is who we have. My opinion is that great coaches make a huge difference.

To add to that, recruits know that great coaches make a huge difference and anyone who has played knows a huge difference between mediocre, good and great.

You think that there is not a coach that would have won more with that group ? What is the point of having a great coach ? Or you think Pitino is one of the best. I actually know of dozens of coaches that would have won more with that group. They would have played far better defense, had fewer turnovers and taken better shots. In any event, he did a good enough job to return and he is who we have. My opinion is that great coaches make a huge difference.
I mean whenever Coach K has average talent, he fakes a back injury, and makes sure the L's don't count against him, tough to prove. "HOF" Tubby Smith had a similar results here as well

I mean whenever Coach K has average talent, he fakes a back injury, and makes sure the L's don't count against him, tough to prove. "HOF" Tubby Smith had a similar results here as well

So you think there is no difference between Izzo, Bennett, Wright against Chambers, Mcaffery and Pitino ? Not very hard for the coaches to name the best. When you see certain guys teach at clinics they just stand clear, when you see how they interact with people, when you see how they run a practice they have a big edge over the less accomplished. Damn, by any measurement they are better. Many have won at tougher places than here.

No problem if you think we have a coach equal to all the guys at the top, the guys who lifted mediocre programs to conference titles, final 4's and national titles. Do you think there is a difference between Lombardi and Bud Grant ?

So you think there is no difference between Izzo, Bennett, Wright against Chambers, Mcaffery and Pitino ? Not very hard for the coaches to name the best. When you see certain guys teach at clinics they just stand clear, when you see how they interact with people, when you see how they run a practice they have a big edge over the less accomplished. Damn, by any measurement they are better. Many have won at tougher places than here.
Not what I said at all you can't just switch teams and expect the product to be the same in year one, not as black and white as you proclaim

No problem if you think we have a coach equal to all the guys at the top, the guys who lifted mediocre programs to conference titles, final 4's and national titles. Do you think there is a difference between Lombardi and Bud Grant ?
Bud gotbyo four Superbowls, wouldn't call him mediocre

Bud gotbyo four Superbowls, wouldn't call him mediocre

Agree, i would call him great, he is in the HOF, BUT HE IS NO Lombardi. That is my point. There are in fact different levels of coaching and people that think Pitino won as many games last year as anyone could are watching a different profession then i am. FYI, I STILL THINK HE CAN BECOME A GOOD COACH. But there is not anything to suggest he gets the most out of his job requirements like others do.

Top Bottom