Depth Chart - Notes - Week 1 - South Dakota State

Interesting. For a young team that is not a young D.

Boy a lot seems to rest on Tanner Morgan staying healthy.

giphy.gif

Haven't followed the kickers much but sort of assumed Grant Ryerse would be the next one up. Any info?

Haven't followed the kickers much but sort of assumed Grant Ryerse would be the next one up. Any info?

Ryerse is 4th string and at this point, not likely to see the field for any meaningful snaps during his career.

On a related note, Sam Schlueter is starting at LT.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. Kid may have improved by leaps and bounds, and could turn out to be an impenetrable shield.

Or ...

JTG

Last edited:

After hearing raves about Brevyn Spann-Ford for the last year or so, I'm surprised to see him 4th among TEs.

OTOH, thrilled that Jake Paulson is still at the top of the TE list. Kid loves to hit, and it sounds like he's added a considerable amount of muscle in the off-season. (And he was no creampuff last year.) Can't wait to see him come across the formation and smack an OLB or DE.

JTG

The average number of years in the program for offensive starters is 3.27 and for defense it is 4.18. Average for all 22 starters on O and D is 3.72.

After hearing raves about Brevyn Spann-Ford for the last year or so, I'm surprised to see him 4th among TEs.

All we know is that Paulson is listed as the starter. The other three TE's are all listed as tied for 2nd.

edited --- spelling

Last edited:

OTOH, thrilled that Jake Paulson is still at the top of the TE list. Kid loves to hit, and it sounds like he's added a considerable amount of muscle in the off-season. (And he was no creampuff last year.) Can't wait to see him come across the formation and smack an OLB or DE.

JTG

Kieft, Witham, and Spann-Ford are all essentially listed as the #2 TE. Probably will depend on the formation and situation.

Is having John Michael Schmitz as backup at three positions a concern?

Kieft, Witham, and Spann-Ford are all essentially listed as the #2 TE. Probably will depend on the formation and situation.

I listen to PJ a lot. (and I mean a lot!)

From what I've heard him say, it's largely situational. One is a better blocker. One is a better pass catcher, and one's a mix of both.
Will be used differently based on what is needed.

Is having John Michael Schmitz as backup at three positions a concern?

I doubt that Schmitz will play guard. I assume that if Olson goes down he slides into center, and if either guard goes down that Olson moves to guard and that he takes Olson's spot at center.

I am concerned if two interior lineman go down and Nate Umlor is our starting guard.

The average number of years in the program for offensive starters is 3.27 and for defense it is 4.18. Average for all 22 starters on O and D is 3.72.

Only 1 team in the Country is younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryerse is 4th string and at this point, not likely to see the field for any meaningful snaps during his career.

I was at last open practice and he looked better than all the others on KO’s so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him do that this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record I tweaked my knee today.

I will be in the stands but if PJ finally comes to his senses and pulls me out of the stands to play I won't me as mobile as I might otherwise be.

For the record I tweaked my knee today.

I will be in the stands but if PJ finally comes to his senses and pulls me out of the stands to play I won't me as mobile as I might otherwise be.

I was countin' on ya. Man up, play through the pain. Or just sit in the stands and drink beer...

Have you tried walking it off?

I reserved the large conference room all day for "team building" ... aka stretching and more dirt application.

Also hype videos look really good on the big screen.

I reserved the large conference room all day for "team building" ... aka stretching and more dirt application.

Also hype videos look really good on the big screen.

This is the kind of dedication we need to be legends!

Also keep in mind ---- it's the depth chart.

We all know that Fleck pretty much BS's this thing. He tries to let as little information about his team slip out, before the game, as humanly possible.

No, and not uncommon.

I agree it is not an issue.

He's basically the first man who will go in at any of the interior positions, if someone goes down or something happens like a shoe comes off for a play or two.

With the amount of assignments that involve the C and G combo blocking, you pretty much need to always know the assignment of the guy(s) playing next to you for every play.

Top Bottom