Argus Leader: Minnesota Golden Gophers a special opponent for Jackrabbits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Argus Leader:

When it comes to sports, South Dakota is Minnesota territory.

To be sure, the sports loyalties of the Rushmore State are varied, but in a state with no major pro sports teams, the Twins and Vikings have long been the closest thing we have. And since South Dakota didn’t have a Division I college team until after the turn of the century, many of the state’s sports fans have an out-of-state rooting interest when it comes to college sports. Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa are the most common, as they’re all neighboring states.

Until the Jackrabbits moved up to Division I in 2004 (with the USD Coyotes following them in 2008), the thought of one of our little North Central Conference teams playing in a Big Ten Stadium seemed outlandish. Now it’s become routine, as SDSU and USD play a major conference foe almost annually. The Coyotes have already defeated the Gophers, back in 2010, in what still counts as one of the biggest upsets ever by a South Dakota team.

So for a Jackrabbit squad that counts 20 Minnesotans on its roster, playing the Golden Gophers on Thursday night in a nationally televised game at TCF Stadium is special. This is a team many of them grew up watching and hoping to one day play for. That and the fact that SDSU had its FBS game rained out last year (against Iowa State) means this is an opportunity the Jacks are going to relish.

“In the end I’m gonna treat it like just another game, but it will be cool to play literally five minutes from home against a team I watched growing up,” said Jacks linebacker Levi Brown, who was an all-state athlete at Roseville. “It’ll be really fun. They recruited me a little but never offered me. It always gives you a little chip on your shoulder. That’ll motivate me for sure.”

https://www.argusleader.com/story/s...a-golden-gophers-special-opponent/2130181001/

Go Gophers!!

per the Argus Leader:

When it comes to sports, South Dakota is Minnesota territory.

To be sure, the sports loyalties of the Rushmore State are varied, but in a state with no major pro sports teams, the Twins and Vikings have long been the closest thing we have. And since South Dakota didn’t have a Division I college team until after the turn of the century, many of the state’s sports fans have an out-of-state rooting interest when it comes to college sports. Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa are the most common, as they’re all neighboring states.

Until the Jackrabbits moved up to Division I in 2004 (with the USD Coyotes following them in 2008), the thought of one of our little North Central Conference teams playing in a Big Ten Stadium seemed outlandish. Now it’s become routine, as SDSU and USD play a major conference foe almost annually. The Coyotes have already defeated the Gophers, back in 2010, in what still counts as one of the biggest upsets ever by a South Dakota team.

So for a Jackrabbit squad that counts 20 Minnesotans on its roster, playing the Golden Gophers on Thursday night in a nationally televised game at TCF Stadium is special. This is a team many of them grew up watching and hoping to one day play for. That and the fact that SDSU had its FBS game rained out last year (against Iowa State) means this is an opportunity the Jacks are going to relish.

“In the end I’m gonna treat it like just another game, but it will be cool to play literally five minutes from home against a team I watched growing up,” said Jacks linebacker Levi Brown, who was an all-state athlete at Roseville. “It’ll be really fun. They recruited me a little but never offered me. It always gives you a little chip on your shoulder. That’ll motivate me for sure.”

https://www.argusleader.com/story/s...a-golden-gophers-special-opponent/2130181001/

Go Gophers!!

It was this game that got Brewster on the heat of the hotseat. A horrible game. My chili was not hot for the rest of the year.

SDSU vs the Gophers back in 2009. One of the worst Gopher games I ever had the misfortune of watching. It didn't feel like a win at all. It felt like a big yoke was being put around Brewster's neck to drag his program down into the abyss. That game, probably more than any other, led to his firing.

I've had Gopher games that made me feel worse, but at least they were all losses. This was a win that felt like a terrible loss.

SDSU vs the Gophers back in 2009. One of the worst Gopher games I ever had the misfortune of watching. It didn't feel like a win at all. It felt like a big yoke was being put around Brewster's neck to drag his program down into the abyss. That game, probably more than any other, led to his firing.

I've had Gopher games that made me feel worse, but at least they were all losses. This was a win that felt like a terrible loss.

recap and box score: https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=293180135

Yep. That 2009 game felt like the team thought it was a bye week since it was late in the season. They seemed disinterested and came out like they could just show up and walk away with a win. It was the definitely the beginning of the end for Brewster.

We're special!

uFF7zAK.jpg

I would also throw in the win against the Bison as a similar feeling game

Boxscore: http://www.espn.com/college-football/photos/_/gameId/262940135

I was there and sitting by Jack Rabbit fans...they were..ummm....apologetic about our win?

Doesn't sound like too many other big name teams recruited him either.

2015 vs. Kent St wasn't much better. That was the 10-7 game.

That's my go to game for misery.

Also my Oh man Jerry and Co.... we're too afraid to try anything vs Kent St?!?!?!

The lone bright spot of that game was a guy near me had some friends who wanted to leave late in the game. Guy who is a good gopher fan stands up and says:

GUIES WE CAN'T LEAVE NOW, WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS HERE!!!!

Best line I've heard at a gopher game ever.

That's my go to game for misery.

Also my Oh man Jerry and Co.... we're too afraid to try anything vs Kent St?!?!?!

The lone bright spot of that game was a guy near me had some friends who wanted to leave late in the game. Guy who is a good gopher fan stands up and says:

GUIES WE CAN'T LEAVE NOW, WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS HERE!!!!

Best line I've heard at a gopher game ever.

I was at that game and I brought along two friends who aren't gopher fans but were willing to tag along. I was like, no worries, we should have this wrapped up early and head out a little early.

I was there until the bitter (albeit victory) end. One of first times I got annoyed with Kill with his "well, we won didn't we?" or whatever it was. Very thin skinned to criticism of offense (He retired like a week later, so I gave him a slight pass knowing later stress he was under)

And, yes, that is a good line. I would've laughed

Top Bottom