1sr Game Depth vs SDSU

per Megan:

The Gophers released their first depth chart ahead of the 8 p.m. Thursday opener against South Dakota State, and there are some revelations and some questions still looming.

Coach P.J. Fleck already named his starting quarterback (sophomore Tanner Morgan) and left tackle (junior Sam Schlueter). Others are obvious, like senior Tyler Johnson and sophomore Rashod Bateman as the top-two receivers.

Fleck also already noted how he planned to divide the top running back carriers between senior Rodney Smith and sophomore Mohamed Ibrahim. And he also wanted to trade-off punt returns between sophomores Demetrius Douglas and Antoine Winfield Jr. Defensive coordinator Joe Rossi also said his plans to rotate the cornerbacks.

However, one cornerback did seem to earn a starting spot, senior Chris Williamson. Sophomore Jordan Howden also took up the other safety spot next to returned sophomore Winfield.

Sophomore Jake Paulson sat atop the tight end position.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-opener-against-south-dakota-state/558490972/

Go Gophers!!

Hmm. Lots of interesting tidbits there.

Looking at the OL depth chart -- what are the factors that go into a person being positioned at RT or RG versus LT or LG? In general, do you want your best pass protection OL players on the left side of the line (that is, for a right-handed QB)? Is that key factor in deciding who plays which side of the line?

Looking at the OL depth chart -- what are the factors that go into a person being positioned at RT or RG versus LT or LG? In general, do you want your best pass protection OL players on the left side of the line (that is, for a right-handed QB)? Is that key factor in deciding who plays which side of the line?

Can't answer the question about positioning but love the fact that the entire o-line has the potential to return next year as well.

It depends on the offensive line but the most important thing is comfort with the position and chemistry.

The LT is usually a top pass blocker, as it's awful difficult for a (right-handed) QB to feel comfortable in the pocket when a 280-lb. edge rusher keeps trying to make his spine bend in ways it was not intended to.

Guards are typically tasked with getting to the second level (blocking a LB, sealing off the backside, etc.) more often than tackles, so they tend to be a bit more compact, or at least have superior foot speed and quickness.

The center is usually the full package -- quick, strong and smart. They not only have to defend the quickest route to the QB, they have to make sure the rest of the OL is on the same page.

I haven't been paying too much attention yet this year, but it's interesting that Schlueter held off Dickson for the LT spot. Does that mean Schlueter is improved, or is Dickson a disappointment? Biggest question regarding the OL.

I suspect they're trying to shore up the left side by sliding Andries from RG to LG.

The focus will be on what happens at LT, and how Dunlap handles himself at RG. I'm more concerned about the former.

And I'm not at all concerned about Olson as the new center.

Let's play.

JTG

Under #3 of "Five Things You Need to Know" they keep referencing "...the _ most in school history since 1955" over and over. Any idea why 1955 is used as a delineation year? I don't get it.

The LT is usually a top pass blocker, as it's awful difficult for a (right-handed) QB to feel comfortable in the pocket when a 280-lb. edge rusher keeps trying to make his spine bend in ways it was not intended to.

Guards are typically tasked with getting to the second level (blocking a LB, sealing off the backside, etc.) more often than tackles, so they tend to be a bit more compact, or at least have superior foot speed and quickness.

The center is usually the full package -- quick, strong and smart. They not only have to defend the quickest route to the QB, they have to make sure the rest of the OL is on the same page.

I haven't been paying too much attention yet this year, but it's interesting that Schlueter held off Dickson for the LT spot. Does that mean Schlueter is improved, or is Dickson a disappointment? Biggest question regarding the OL.

I suspect they're trying to shore up the left side by sliding Andries from RG to LG.

The focus will be on what happens at LT, and how Dunlap handles himself at RG. I'm more concerned about the former.

And I'm not at all concerned about Olson as the new center.

Let's play.

JTG

I hope schlueter works out, he was a turnstyle last year.

Sounds like they want to keep Blaise at LG, but I think he can play LT and move in John Michael Schmitz to center if need be

I hope schlueter works out, he was a turnstyle last year.

Sounds like they want to keep Blaise at LG, but I think he can play LT and move in John Michael Schmitz to center if need be

The other thing that may be going on is that they suspect Dickson will eventually take over at LT, but they want him to earn it. Will be interesting to see if/how playing time is divvied up there.

Based solely on last year's performance, I'd prefer Schlueter as a backup. He must be an exemplary teammate, because he's getting plenty of chances. It would certainly be uplifting to see him rise to the occasion.

JTG

The other thing that may be going on is that they suspect Dickson will eventually take over at LT, but they want him to earn it.

If that's true, then I wonder if they had a similar philosophy of making Faalele "earn it" last year at RT. That didn't work out so nicely for us. Hindsight, Faalele should've always been the starter.

I fear the same will happen this year. And I just hope they don't wait too long to make a switch.

Dickson might just need more time to develop. It takes a long time to learn the techniques and learn the playbook. Sometimes different plays call for different techniques and every play has not only a different assignment for the play, but a different assignment depending on what the defensive formation is. It can overwhelm a new player.

I'm guessing at this point, fourth season in the program, and three full spring camps and fall camps with Fleck's system, Schlueter has the playbook assignments and techniques mastered. It's just down to the execution on the field. If he can get over his waist bending, guys tossing him around and/or going right by him, he'll be fine.

Last edited:

what are the factors that go into a person being positioned at RT or RG versus LT or LG?

I don't think there's anything in particular that helps to predetermine if a guy should play on the left side or right side. Like if his dominant hand and/or foot are right or left.

Really, I think it just comes down to where a guy starts to feel comfortable. In theory, any of them "should" be able to switch sides. But if you've been practicing and playing on the right, then switch over to the left, now your left foot is back and your left hand is down in a three-point stance, the blocking assignments are reversed, you take your first step with your left foot instead of your right. It can scramble a brain, I'm sure.

The other thing that may be going on is that they suspect Dickson will eventually take over at LT, but they want him to earn it. Will be interesting to see if/how playing time is divvied up there.

Based solely on last year's performance, I'd prefer Schlueter as a backup. He must be an exemplary teammate, because he's getting plenty of chances. It would certainly be uplifting to see him rise to the occasion.

JTG

He is a redshirt Junior now so it is possible that he has made some big strides in his development. Unlike the skill guys, it usually takes lineman a few years to get really comfortable at the college level. He really struggled last year but maybe things clicked for him this off season and he is ready to be the guy at LT now.

You dig way deeper into O-Line technique and what not so tend to trust your judgement on these guys but maybe this is a case where he has made some major improvements in the off-season.

You dig way deeper into O-Line technique and what not so tend to trust your judgement on these guys but maybe this is a case where he has made some major improvements in the off-season.

It's certainly possible, and I think most folks would be thrilled by Sam taking a big step up. Should make for an interesting story line the first few weeks ... after which I hope we have "the guy," whomever it turns out to be. (And I'm not discounting the possibility of it being Schlueter. Like I alluded earlier, the kid must be doing an awful lot of things well to keep getting chances.)

JTG

Yeah I'm pulling for Sam as well at LT. Also will be watching that pretty closely and hoping that Morgan doesn't get blind pressure often as his health is key this year.

Interesting that Kyle Sassack is listed as backup RT. The depth on the O line just keeps improving. Knock on wood for another healthy year.

I don't know if this has been talked about elsewhere, but I was a little disappointed Shannon Brooks wasn't even on the list. I knew he had some more work to be 100%, but didn't realize he wouldn't be an option...

I don't know if this has been talked about elsewhere, but I was a little disappointed Shannon Brooks wasn't even on the list. I knew he had some more work to be 100%, but didn't realize he wouldn't be an option...

It's been mentioned he probably wont be ready unit B1G portion of schedule

It's been mentioned he probably wont be ready unit B1G portion of schedule

Thanks, I had heard the "behind schedule" but hadn't heard any sort of timeline.

Keep him sitting til he’s ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I was hoping he was ready to at least suit up and play a few downs, but yes, if he's not, then keep him in street clothes! Shouldn't need him vs. SDSU, especially. Just thinking it'd be a good game to get his feet wet if he was at that point.

Does anyone know who number 32 on the kick return team is? I looked at the roster and didn't see anyone listed.

Top Bottom