River Flats Parking Okay again!

That’s impressive. Good on them. And a gracious and intelligent response.

The budget for the Mpls Park Board is tight, and management of green areas is the key. Someone needs to work on a turf management plan to present in the spring.

OK, I change my mind. I guess I would live there is I had to. This is a shocking reversal, just shocking.

This should be pinned to the top, through tomorrow, so people don't see the title of the other thread and cancel their plans.

This should be pinned to the top, through tomorrow, so people don't see the title of the other thread and cancel their plans.

This story was on the KARE 11 10:00pm news last night.

Thank you City of Minneapolis Parks!

GopherHole for the WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing they'll just ban it next year, but at least they're going to reconsider and give fans more notice if they do

I'm guessing they'll just ban it next year, but at least they're going to reconsider and give fans more notice if they do

That was really the worst part .... TWO DAYS before the game? Come on. Ridiculous

As I've said in another thread, the fair grounds can be a great place for tailgating, with good shuttle service pre- and post-game. It's just the labor day game is always nixed by the fair. They always seem to schedule a home game on week 1. I wish they would consider doing road games that week.

That was really the worst part .... TWO DAYS before the game? Come on. Ridiculous

As I've said in another thread, the fair grounds can be a great place for tailgating, with good shuttle service pre- and post-game. It's just the labor day game is always nixed by the fair. They always seem to schedule a home game on week 1. I wish they would consider doing road games that week.

Meh, the fair grounds don't do it for me. I want to be on campus, or at least campus adjacent, for my pre game wassailing.

Meh, the fair grounds don't do it for me. I want to be on campus, or at least campus adjacent, for my pre game wassailing.

Then you're gonna have to pay dearly.

Whatever powers that be clearly want to shut down tailgating on East River Flats, as well as prevent tailgating near the stadium on private land, so as to force people into U-controlled environments.

Whatever powers that be clearly want to shut down tailgating on East River Flats, as well as prevent tailgating near the stadium on private land, so as to force people into U-controlled environments.

I do not think that is the motive

What do you think the motive is for shutting down ERF to tailgating, on seven out of 365 days per year? It clearly has zero to do with the physical condition of the park's grassland.

Coach Kill had a hissy fit about having the Season Openers on the road in 2011 (USC) and 2012 (UNLV), thus the dawning of the Thursday Night openers. 2009 (Syracuse) and 2010 (Mid Tenn St) were also on the road.

Personally, I like the Thursday night home openers. Works for me personally since I work downtown Mpls and then take Friday off for a nice 4-day mini-vacation.

I would be in favor of all pre-October games at TCF be at night/early evening. Great stadium for night games and atmosphere seems a bit more juiced (for example last year vs Fresno St and 2012/Syracuse).

I'm shocked to agree with Gophers4Life, but I believe that is the motive. East River Flats is a great option for people who either need parking for one game or don't want to pay as much at the options controlled by the U. Especially if they want to tailgate. If the U agreed with that and really wanted to help their customers, they would list it as an option for fans on their gameday parking map.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/8/1/gameday-tcf-bank-stadium.aspx

It was a silly move but folks are trying way too hard to find some sort of plan or conspiracy behind it. Basically, one bureaucracy has a person with some power who is completely oblivious to college sports and decided that this was a good idea. He or she then implemented it without getting in touch with the U, another bureaucracy. Guessing a higher up saw the emails and went, "What in hell were you thinking?" Don't see anybody at the U dumb enough to alienate much needed fans over not that many dollars in the big picture. (BTW, I'm well aware how dysfunctional the U can be.)

It was a silly move but folks are trying way too hard to find some sort of plan or conspiracy behind it. Basically, one bureaucracy has a person with some power who is completely oblivious to college sports and decided that this was a good idea. He or she then implemented it without getting in touch with the U, another bureaucracy. Guessing a higher up saw the emails and went, "What in hell were you thinking?" Don't see anybody at the U dumb enough to alienate much needed fans over not that many dollars in the big picture. (BTW, I'm well aware how dysfunctional the U can be.)

I don't think there was a larger motive behind it otherwise they wouldn't have switched back so quickly.

This was a couple people and they decided to backtrack.
My opinion.

I never miss a home game, you don't have to tell me about paying dearly or my available options.

I never miss a home game, you don't have to tell me about paying dearly or my available options.

Just curious, have you tailgated at East River Flats or State Fairgrounds? I have done both, and had just as much enjoyment as the times I have been in the lots right next to TCF.

I admit, I was skeptical about how it would work particularly at the Fairgrounds but generally the shuttles are fine and atmosphere is great. As a bonus they are quite festive after a nice win. Other teams fanbases give it a little edge as well.

Just curious, have you tailgated at East River Flats or State Fairgrounds? I have done both, and had just as much enjoyment as the times I have been in the lots right next to TCF.

I admit, I was skeptical about how it would work particularly at the Fairgrounds but generally the shuttles are fine and atmosphere is great. As a bonus they are quite festive after a nice win. Other teams fanbases give it a little edge as well.

I've done ERF numerous times and always love it.

Will admit to never having tailgated at the Fairground before.

Top Bottom