Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sounds like the city has already caved on this. Tailgating this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ski U Mah Gopher View Post
    OK, we need a landscape architecture or agronomy major to work on a turf management plan to bring up this spring.

All the years of tailgating has taken a toll on the green area of the park.
    Maybe if they put the money they generated from parking fees back into the park in the spring and summer, it wouldn't be so ratty. This was my original issue...don't cite the deterioration of the park land if you're not going to take the direct revenue generated to help repair it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MaxyJR1 View Post
    "The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will no longer be offering tailgating and grass/field parking during Gopher football games at East River Flats Park.This decision follows MPRB ordinances and will help to prevent further damage to parkland not intended for vehicle parking. Effective immediately, all parking at East River Flats parking lot will be restricted to paved surfaces only."

According to the Park Board's Facebook Page.
    Ugh, this is so frustrating. This is where we tailgate every year, big group. Wish we had more notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    I wonder: if enough people leave pissed off messages, maybe they’ll repent for this one week because the fairgrounds is closed?

Doubt it though.

The U probably asked the city to shut it down, so they could force more people to buy tailgating on U owned lots.
    I wish. I can't see them changing their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by El Amin Fan View Post
    I wish. I can't see them changing their mind.
    The people have spoken!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski U Master View Post
    I think many people should just face up to the fact that with the campus configured the way it is, space is at a premium and tailgating isn't (and shouldn't be) a priority to the U. Lots of the surface lots around the stadium are designated for future long-term development into academic and research facilities if I remember correctly. Minnesota will never be a tailgate paradise and should embrace the bar hopping/street party model instead, although they haven't done that well either. Instead they provide a mediocre experience for both tailgating and "block party" type entertainment
    Sadly I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    Hey, read this:

2 minutes ago:

YES! I just went from pissed to happy about something four minutes ago I didn't even know about. Game on.

I made a call. You are all welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    Hey, read this:

2 minutes ago:

Reading that Twitter thread, it is very clear that Dave Blomquist is a MegaDink.

Blog Entries

Land is such a scarce and valuable commodity around the U. Is the railroad yard and tracks on the north of Surly's something that can be sold to the U?
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

I would suggest recognizing that Gophers football...and public tailgating opportunities available under the MPLS Park Board to date...are not well known.

To the degree that the powers at be recognize some measure of unfairness was associated with the change...should be celebrated.

What it really means is that the U/AD and Park Board should examine what if any adverse impacts are present...and identify the measures necessary to mitigate them...and voluntarily to address them to the degree possible.

Knee-jerk reactions happen. In this case it appears to have been reversed. The next step is to cement what is necessary to allow use of this area on gameday (7 times...count them...7 times a year) going forward.

Kudos to the Park Board for pulling back. My two cents...
    Row The Boat & Ski U Mah!

In Fleck We Trust!

Quote Originally Posted by Breakin' The Plane View Post
    Reading that Twitter thread, it is very clear that Dave Blomquist is a MegaDink.
    Scrolled through the twitter and let’s just say he is pro-bicycle, pro-bus, anti-personal auto, anti-road.

Wow reading through this thread was a wild ride
    "Good practice, kids. Now it's time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you."

Quote Originally Posted by Com_Cool View Post
    Wow reading through this thread was a wild ride
    We were so close to a total collapse of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    GopherHole accomplished something! Wait? What?
    I actually wrote a n email complaining....I never do that. Glad they came to their senses. Which is shocking considering the self righteous world they are living in lately .... fixing all of the past wrongs. Including the hurt feelings of the bent grass on the river flats.

I hope the flats get used like never before this year and they can't do without the revenue.

The Twitter replies of people supporting this.....just at a loss. Some folks just don't like people existing. At all.

Enjoying a football game day with their families and friends. Wholesome good, positive activity. Yeah we don't want that happening at a park no on hardly uses otherwise.
    Last edited by gophermartin; 08-27-2019 at 07:39 PM.