No more River Flats Parking

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
"The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will no longer be offering tailgating and grass/field parking during Gopher football games at East River Flats Park.This decision follows MPRB ordinances and will help to prevent further damage to parkland not intended for vehicle parking. Effective immediately, all parking at East River Flats parking lot will be restricted to paved surfaces only."

According to the Park Board's Facebook Page.

"The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will no longer be offering tailgating and grass/field parking during Gopher football games at East River Flats Park.This decision follows MPRB ordinances and will help to prevent further damage to parkland not intended for vehicle parking. Effective immediately, all parking at East River Flats parking lot will be restricted to paved surfaces only."

That's horrible news.

Minneapolis does whatever it can to ruin America.

No fair grounds tailgating this week either, I imagine.

Are there any other options for folks who aren’t in the stadium lots??

Typical Minneapolis. They’ve spent years trying to prevent game day parking near the stadium. Lovely city, if you like totalitarianism.

What a bummer. At least you can't say that the U screwed the pooch on this one.

That's horrible news.

Minneapolis does whatever it can to ruin America.

This steams my a**. I am a fairgrounds tailgater and have used the River Flats lot for the last 3 years now. Worked out great. Now we get this last minute message that it is no longer available. Been coordinating and planning for this TG for the last two weeks!

Makes me wonder if the park board would have pulled the same crap if the Vikings were still playing at TCF under the same scenario.

so pissed. This is the one first come first serve area to tailgate. Now where do we go!?

I wonder: if enough people leave pissed off messages, maybe they’ll repent for this one week because the fairgrounds is closed?

Doubt it though.

The U probably asked the city to shut it down, so they could force more people to buy tailgating on U owned lots.

I'm annoyed at Minneapolis Parks for not giving more notice, but more upset at the U. I used the river lot because it is a better tailgating option than anything the U provides for day of tailgating purchases. My understanding is that, with the fair lot unavailable on Thursday, there is literally no U run lot where you can by a pass day of and tailgate for the opener. If I am missing something, someone please tell me. Tough to take Coyle seriously when he says he wants to improve the gameday experience and sell more tickets until that is fixed.

Couldn’t the U open up one extra surface lot just for this Thursday, even if you need to purchase before you arrive?? On the St Paul campus, with a couple shuttles? Or Mpls campus if there is a lot to spare.

I'm annoyed at Minneapolis Parks for not giving more notice, but more upset at the U. I used the river lot because it is a better tailgating option than anything the U provides for day of tailgating purchases. My understanding is that, with the fair lot unavailable on Thursday, there is literally no U run lot where you can by a pass day of and tailgate for the opener. If I am missing something, someone please tell me. Tough to take Coyle seriously when he says he wants to improve the gameday experience and sell more tickets until that is fixed.

I'm guessing the U wants those who are now SOL with the Flats to come and "tailgate" on the Plaza with $5 beers.

You cannot just roll up and bend the grass in Minneapolis. Who do people think you are? Minneapolis is out of hand, so glad I do not live in that city. It is a wreck.

I'm guessing the U wants those who are now SOL with the Flats to come and "tailgate" on the Plaza with $5 beers.

Not my idea of tailgating!! Just sent a nasty gram to the park board. I'm sure they will look at it an laugh. Not a laughing matter to me!

Here is your commissioner. This issue wasn’t on the latest meeting agendas so it is a curious move at best two days before the game. Given that empty grass fields are routinely used for event parking across the country and barring adverse field conditions this seems more like a busybody issue or perhaps a group of the anti-jock culture folks are giving it the old college try out of spite. Yes, sometimes they really are out to get you.

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/about_us/leadership_and_structure/commissioners/chris_meyer/

You are way out of line and barking way up the wrong tree. The U isn’t the problem. The City has pushed the U into a corner with ridiculous ordinance. I was involved in the fight 10 years ago to find more tailgating near the stadium. We had spies and enforcement officials taking pictures and handing out tickets on PRIVATE property. Totalitarian thugs.

Or, like I said, could be as simple as the U finally got the park board to shut it down, to force people into U controlled environments on game day.

You are way out of line and barking way up the wrong tree. The U isn’t the problem. The City has pushed the U into a corner with ridiculous ordinance. I was involved in the fight 10 years ago to find more tailgating near the stadium. We had spies and enforcement officials taking pictures and handing out tickets on PRIVATE property. Totalitarian thugs.

There are tailgating lots that are U owned and used for tailgating. It is the U's decision to make none of those available for traditional, day of tailgating on the first game, and only allowing that at the least convenient lot for games 2-7. I minded the U's failure to provide this service (that is essential to gameday atmosphere) a lot less two hours ago, when I was able to get it from the Minneapolis Parks.

Bottom line is that it is unacceptable for the U to have no tailgate options for single game folks for its opener, especially when it has lots it uses for tailgating.

Or, like I said, could be as simple as the U finally got the park board to shut it down, to force people into U controlled environments on game day.

Or could be as simple as Badger and Hawkeye alumni have infiltrated the Parks Board and shut down the flats in an effort to force people to stay home and hurt the atmosphere at TCF.

(see, I can wildly speculate too)

Bottom line is that it is unacceptable for the U to have no tailgate options for single game folks for its opener, especially when it has lots it uses for tailgating.

It's a bummer but of all games ... the opener, Thursday night during the fair ... is probabbly the day I would expect THE MOST disruption to pregame activities.

You cannot just roll up and bend the grass in Minneapolis. Who do people think you are? Minneapolis is out of hand, so glad I do not live in that city. It is a wreck.

Saint Paul is right behind...

As a Gopher football fan from a far, it’s absolutely amazing reading how absolutely horsesh^* the U seems to be at Gameday experience.

Reading this forum about it for almost a decade now it seems like it’s nowhere near what a D1 football team in a major conference should be.

So much of what going to a college football game is about is the pregame activities and TAILGATING!!! All I read about is how ass backward the U and the city of Minneapolis seem to be regarding this.

1 step forward, 3 steps backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they will send out an email reminding of the specials with that goofy tailgating catering service they cooked up sometime within the last couple years.

Amazing. And the timing... sheesh. I have never tailgated there but I have always understood how important it was to the already-stunted Gopher tailgating scene.

Amazing. And the timing... sheesh. I have never tailgated there but I have always understood how important it was to the already-stunted Gopher tailgating scene.

Dont worry, I just heard that Coyle is taking attendance and gameday environment seriously. I am sure he will see this as an opportunity to provide a new offering to the displaced season ticket holders from the flats, and that that offering will be much better than what the flats offered.

So is there paved surface parking at East River Flats? If we chip in for some concrete can we pour it over a nice flat area?

Dont worry, I just heard that Coyle is taking attendance and gameday environment seriously. I am sure he will see this as an opportunity to provide a new offering to the displaced season ticket holders from the flats, and that that offering will be much better than what the flats offered.

Well, it could be the case, but we are well aware of the limited options which stranglehold any possible unique idea one could come up with at this point.

It's getting to the point where the best option is for people to park at the Anoka County Fairgrounds to tailgate, then bus in 47 minutes to the game.

It's getting really ridiculous.

Top Bottom