No more River Flats Parking

Dont worry, I just heard that Coyle is taking attendance and gameday environment seriously. I am sure he will see this as an opportunity to provide a new offering to the displaced season ticket holders from the flats, and that that offering will be much better than what the flats offered.

File a FOIA request for his emails. I'm sure there's a paper trail with the MPB if there was collusion to shut it down. NOTE: I'm only being half-serious.

Bring up the tailgating experience to Mark Coyle. He seems to be making an effort to enhance the fan experience. Maybe, there is something they can do.

The problem is that they can't hide the discarded heating Coyles inside the stadium anymore so they're going to dump them out on the flats.

There are tailgating lots that are U owned and used for tailgating. It is the U's decision to make none of those available for traditional, day of tailgating on the first game, and only allowing that at the least convenient lot for games 2-7. I minded the U's failure to provide this service (that is essential to gameday atmosphere) a lot less two hours ago, when I was able to get it from the Minneapolis Parks.

Bottom line is that it is unacceptable for the U to have no tailgate options for single game folks for its opener, especially when it has lots it uses for tailgating.

I'm just here to support you, bleedsmaroonandgold. Today's is a Minneapolis Park Board decision, but the U of M owns the larger problem and could make it at least a little better if they wanted to.

As for tailgating in private lots, it happens on 10 Sundays a year about two miles away at another stadium named after a bank. If the U really wanted to make this happen seven or eight days a year to add a few spots, they could work with the city to do it.

I think many people should just face up to the fact that with the campus configured the way it is, space is at a premium and tailgating isn't (and shouldn't be) a priority to the U. Lots of the surface lots around the stadium are designated for future long-term development into academic and research facilities if I remember correctly. Minnesota will never be a tailgate paradise and should embrace the bar hopping/street party model instead, although they haven't done that well either. Instead they provide a mediocre experience for both tailgating and "block party" type entertainment

I think many people should just face up to the fact that with the campus configured the way it is, space is at a premium and tailgating isn't (and shouldn't be) a priority to the U. Lots of the surface lots around the stadium are designated for future long-term development into academic and research facilities if I remember correctly. Minnesota will never be a tailgate paradise and should embrace the bar hopping/street party model instead, although they haven't done that well either. Instead they provide a mediocre experience for both tailgating and "block party" type entertainment

The Fairgrounds can be the tailgating paradise, so long as they have ample shuttles running pre- and post-game.

Not just the main grandstand parking area, but there is also a large grassy parking area to the south of Como. As well as a smaller lot north of the fair. These could all be utilized. Just not during the labor day weekend game, unfortunately.

What a bunch of babies. The park board is literally saving the planet and correcting hundreds of years of past wrongs. You should thank them for being your better and helping you make smarter decisions.

You can tailgate right next to the stadium for $50-$150.
It’s an on-Campus stadium at a university in the middle of one of the Big Ten’s largest urban areas. Tailgating is not going to be comparable to the many rural campuses in D1.

I’m not sure how this is the U’s fault as some suggest. Get mad at the city/ park board.

They changed their minds!!

We won!

Good job to those who complained.

What a bunch of babies. The park board is literally saving the planet and correcting hundreds of years of past wrongs. You should thank them for being your better and helping you make smarter decisions.

Working in recalibrating my sarcasm meter, but this is satire, right?

OK, we need a landscape architecture or agronomy major to work on a turf management plan to bring up this spring.

All the years of tailgating has taken a toll on the green area of the park.

OK, we need a landscape architecture or agronomy major to work on a turf management plan to bring up this spring.

I dont remember it being that green when the gophs played at the Dome either.

Sounds like the city has already caved on this. Tailgating this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe if they put the money they generated from parking fees back into the park in the spring and summer, it wouldn't be so ratty. This was my original issue...don't cite the deterioration of the park land if you're not going to take the direct revenue generated to help repair it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will no longer be offering tailgating and grass/field parking during Gopher football games at East River Flats Park.This decision follows MPRB ordinances and will help to prevent further damage to parkland not intended for vehicle parking. Effective immediately, all parking at East River Flats parking lot will be restricted to paved surfaces only."

According to the Park Board's Facebook Page.

Ugh, this is so frustrating. This is where we tailgate every year, big group. Wish we had more notice.

I wonder: if enough people leave pissed off messages, maybe they’ll repent for this one week because the fairgrounds is closed?

Doubt it though.

The U probably asked the city to shut it down, so they could force more people to buy tailgating on U owned lots.

I wish. I can't see them changing their mind.

Sadly I agree.

I made a call. You are all welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Land is such a scarce and valuable commodity around the U. Is the railroad yard and tracks on the north of Surly's something that can be sold to the U?

I would suggest recognizing that Gophers football...and public tailgating opportunities available under the MPLS Park Board to date...are not well known.

To the degree that the powers at be recognize some measure of unfairness was associated with the change...should be celebrated.

What it really means is that the U/AD and Park Board should examine what if any adverse impacts are present...and identify the measures necessary to mitigate them...and voluntarily to address them to the degree possible.

Knee-jerk reactions happen. In this case it appears to have been reversed. The next step is to cement what is necessary to allow use of this area on gameday (7 times...count them...7 times a year) going forward.

Kudos to the Park Board for pulling back. My two cents...

Wow reading through this thread was a wild ride

GopherHole accomplished something! Wait? What?

I actually wrote a n email complaining....I never do that. Glad they came to their senses. Which is shocking considering the self righteous world they are living in lately .... fixing all of the past wrongs. Including the hurt feelings of the bent grass on the river flats.

I hope the flats get used like never before this year and they can't do without the revenue.

The Twitter replies of people supporting this.....just at a loss. Some folks just don't like people existing. At all.

Enjoying a football game day with their families and friends. Wholesome good, positive activity. Yeah we don't want that happening at a park no on hardly uses otherwise.

Last edited:

Top Bottom