Llist of coaches and the odds on who will be fired first (PJ Fleck, Minnesota: 40-1)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cleveland.com:

You really can bet on anything these days. SportsBetting.ag has set odds for who will be the first college football coach fired.

Clay Helton of the University of Southern California holds the dubious top spot at 5-1. USC is coming off a 5-7 season.

The safest coaches are no surprise: Nick Saban of Alabama and Dabo Swinney, who make a habit of meeting in the college football championship, are 250-1 and 200-1, respectively.

Here's the site's list of coaches and the odds on who will be fired first:

Clay Helton (USC) 5-1

Chris Ash (Rutgers) 6-1

Lovie Smith (Illinois) 9-1

Gus Malzahn (Auburn) 10-1

Kalani Sitake (BYU) 12-1

Ed Orgeron (LSU) 14-1

Justin Fuente (Virginia Tech) 14-1

Willie Taggart (FSU) 16-1

Mike Gundy (Oklahoma State) 16-1

Tom Allen (Indiana) 20-1

Kevin Sumlin (Arizona) 20-1

Derek Mason (Vanderbilt) 22-1

Steve Addazio (Boston College) 22-1

Chad Morris (Arkansas) 22-1

Matt Luke (Ole Miss) 25-1

Barry Odom (Missouri) 28-1

Herm Edwards (Arizona State) 33-1

Jeremy Pruitt (Tennessee) 33-1

Justin Wilcox (Cal) 33-1

Will Muschamp (South Carolina) 40-1

Jonathan Smith (Oregon State) 40-1

Joe Moorhead (Miss State) 40-1

Dave Clawson (Wake Forest) 40-1

Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) 40-1

Tom Herman (Texas) 40-1

Brian Kelly (Notre Dame) 40-1

Mario Cristobal (Oregon) 40-1

Matt Wells (Texas Tech) 40-1

PJ Fleck (Minnesota) 40-1

Chip Kelly (UCLA) 40-1

Chris Klieman (Kansas State) 40-1

Pat Narduzzi (Pitt) 40-1

Mack Brown (North Carolina) 40-1

Mark Stoops (Kentucky) 50-1

Ryan Day (Ohio State) 50-1

Neal Brown (WVU) 50-1

Matt Campbell (Iowa State) 50-1

Les Miles (Kansas) 50-1

Bronco Mendenhall (Virginia) 50-1

Mike Leach (Washington State) 50-1

Mike Locksley (Maryland) 50-1

Geoff Collins (Georgia Tech) 50-1

Scott Satterfield (Louisville) 50-1

Manny Diaz (Miami) 50-1

David Cutcliffe (Duke) 50-1

Mel Tucker (Colorado) 66-1

Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern) 66-1

Dave Doeren (NC State) 66-1

Jeff Brohm (Purdue) 66-1

Matt Rhule (Baylor) 66-1

Paul Chryst (Wisconsin) 75-1

Dan Mullen (Florida) 75-1

Scott Frost (Nebraska) 75-1

Dino Babers (Syracuse) 75-1

Mark Dantonio (Michigan State) 75-1

James Franklin (Penn State) 75-1

Kyle Whittingham (Utah) 100-1

Chris Petersen (Washington) 100-1

Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma) 100-1

Gary Patterson (TCU) 100-1

David Shaw (Stanford) 100-1

Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) 100-1

Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M) 100-1

Kirby Smart (Georgia) 125-1

Dabo Swinney (Clemson) 200-1

Nick Saban (Alabama) 250-1

https://www.cleveland.com/entertain...-will-be-fired-site-handicaps-60-coaches.html

Go Gophers!!

You have to be a pretty hard core gambler to place a bet on coaches getting fired. :)

That said, Pat Fitzgerald should be listed at 1,000,000-1 odds because he would have to do something drastic to get fired at Northwestern. He has as close to lifetime contract as possible in sports.

Iowa fans have been a little uptight about Farentz in the past so although I would be surprised if he is ever fired, I do think on this list his number is too big. Same with Franklin. Surprised his number is so high as that fan base will turn quickly without 10 win seasons. On the other extreme, Fitz number seems low. Outside of some sort of unlikely scandal, I see him as a guy that is enjoying a lifetime contract.

There is 0% chance of PJ being the first coach fired this year.

There are things that could get Fleck fired:
Calling a hotdish a casserole.
Playing Duck Duck Goose instead of Duck Duck Gray Duck.
Saying that Paul Bunyan is really from Wisconsin.

Mike Grundy seems kinda high too. I got the feeling he was really well-liked at Oklahoma State.

Ryan Day at 40-1.

High profile program. If they got off to a really bad start, maybe?
Might be worth a $20 wager.

Ryan Day at 40-1.

If there was a job that would do something crazy like fire a coach quickly that would probably be the one to do it if they had a few unlikely early upsets.

You have to be a pretty hard core gambler to place a bet on coaches getting fired. :)

That said, Pat Fitzgerald should be listed at 1,000,000-1 odds because he would have to do something drastic to get fired at Northwestern. He has as close to lifetime contract as possible in sports.

I would think this statement is more appropriate for Saban. He'd have to be accused of sexual misconduct with all the cheerleaders and have a videotape to be fired.

On second thought, If he wins it all, he still wouldn't get fired.

Ryan Day at 40-1.

Luke Fickell only lasted one year, partially due to the fan's sky high expectations.

There is 0% chance of PJ being the first coach fired this year.

Outside of a major personal scandal breaking in September I agree with you. It would probably take 1-11 or worse to do it by year end and it’s not going to be the first axe to fall under any on field circumstances.

Outside of a major personal scandal breaking in September I agree with you. It would probably take 1-11 or worse to do it by year end and it’s not going to be the first axe to fall under any on field circumstances.

PJ would need a major scandal. Even 0-12 this year wouldn't do it because from what we've seen, guys are behaving, getting good grades, and he's recruiting well.
He's currently untouchable unless if something really clean with the program is not clean.

I think he's safer than a Ryan Day at OSU.

PJ would need a major scandal. Even 0-12 this year wouldn't do it because from what we've seen, guys are behaving, getting good grades, and he's recruiting well.
He's currently untouchable unless if something really clean with the program is not clean.

I think he's safer than a Ryan Day at OSU.

I agree.

I'm curious to see where Gus Malzahn will be should Auburn lose to Oregon Saturday.

Fitzgerald being lower odds than Chryst is crazy. I know they won't, but imagine if Wisconsin went like 3-9 this year including a 30 point loss to the Gophers...

Fitzgerald being lower odds than Chryst is crazy. I know they won't, but imagine if Wisconsin went like 3-9 this year including a 30 point loss to the Gophers...

Barry made it pretty clear that Chryst was "the last coach i'm going to hire". I don't think Barry wants to bother.

I'm curious to see where Gus Malzahn will be should Auburn lose to Oregon Saturday.

I’m a Beaver fan but this is a game where I’ll be rooting for the Ducks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke Fickell only lasted one year, partially due to the fan's sky high expectations.

But mostly because of his dismal 6-7 record in his only year as head coach at THE Ohio State University

Top Bottom