BTN: 2019 Preseason Power Rankings: Dave Wannstedt's list, by division (BTW: 6. MN)

Any West ranking this year will have the teams ranked 4th - 6th upset.

I guarantee that for a big chunk of these prognostications they are just throwing darts at a board in terms of how the West will shake out this year. The margin from 1-6 is razor thin and this is going to be a really interesting year to see how it all shakes out. The only thing pretty much everyone seems able to agree on is that Illinois is not in the mix, outside fo that it is a crap shoot.

I guarantee that for a big chunk of these prognostications they are just throwing darts at a board in terms of how the West will shake out this year. The margin from 1-6 is razor thin and this is going to be a really interesting year to see how it all shakes out. The only thing pretty much everyone seems able to agree on is that Illinois is not in the mix, outside fo that it is a crap shoot.

I think most experts, if they had to bet a substantial amount, would choose Iowa or Wisconsin to win the division. And they'd choose Illinois to come in last.

It's #3 - #6 that is absolutely a crap shoot, this year. Any one of the four teams could finish #3 (or possibly higher), and any one of them could finish #6.

Hoosier Huddle chimes in with their BT Preseason Power Ranking:

6) Minnesota, Week 1: vs. South Dakota State

Minnesota finished their season on an impressive high note. The Golden Gophers stunned Wisconsin, beating the Badgers 37-15 in Madison to become bowl eligible. Minnesota then beat Georgia Tech to win their first bowl under head coach PJ Fleck. The season was not without turmoil, however. Minnesota lost four straight games in early October and surrendered 55 points to a weak Illinois team in November.

Quarterback Zack Annexstad was sidelined this offseason with an injury, opening the door for sophomore Tanner Morgan. Overall, as PJ Fleck attempts to restore the Gophers football program, 2018 was a success with bowl eligibility and a postseason victory. Minnesota will return most of their roster and should be a very experienced group compared to years past.

https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/hoosier-huddles-big-ten-power-rankings-week-zero/2019/8/26

Go Gophers!!

I don't understand the Nebraska love. The B1G Show thought they had one of the best shots at a division title. They started 0-6 and went 4-8 last season. They kicked the crap out of us. But I don't really understand the excitement around that team right now.

I don't understand the Nebraska love. The B1G Show thought they had one of the best shots at a division title. They started 0-6 and went 4-8 last season. They kicked the crap out of us. But I don't really understand the excitement around that team right now.

I'm not a Gopher fan, but live in the Twin Cities and watch most of the games. From a semi-outsider perspective, I don't get it either. There aren't a ton of obvious holes besides your QB play needs to improve considerably. I'm jealous of the beef on the OL, and I suspect your WR's and RB's compare favorably to several projected top 25 teams. For a team whose knocks are "I'm not so sure they've got much DL depth" and "Tanner Morgan needs to be better", it's bizarre to see a 6th place prediction. Especially with the upside of your OL. Having that much size with your projected starters is really, really nice. It's the difference, oftentimes, between a 20 yard field goal and a touch down. And you've got a Barber, which it seems to me is a good sign for MN football.

Given the schedule and without any real emotional attachment to the team, I'd be surprised if you all weren't 8-4 or better. Though Fresno might be a tricky game to start with. I don't know why you all are traveling out there.

Last edited:

If you are a prognosticator, there are a few mistakes you can make.

#1. Alienating the largest programs.
#2. Totally missing on the obvious picks.

The obvious picks are Wisconsin every year, and maybe Iowa / Northwestern.

The largest fan bases / biggest brands are Nebraska.

So in that case, you need to honor having those teams picked high until proven otherwise.

No one can go and say:
I like Purdue and Minnesota to fight for 1 and 2.
I like Northwestern next and then Iowa.
And I see Nebraska and Wisconsin fighting over 5th and 6th scraps with one of them possibly losing to Illinois.

It just doesn't work.
You would lose all credibility if you had any to start the season.

Also, there could be a 4 way tie for spots 3-6. If that's the case, are you finishing in 3rd place or 6th place (with the three other teams)? I think they say you finished 3rd, right? I'd be willing to bet that there will be more than two teams tied with the same conference record in the West.

Also, there could be a 4 way tie for spots 3-6. If that's the case, are you finishing in 3rd place or 6th place (with the three other teams)? I think they say you finished 3rd, right? I'd be willing to bet that there will be more than two teams tied with the same conference record in the West.

Yes, with a tie they show it as all the tied teams finishing at the top position. So the four teams would be tied for 3rd.

Big Ten Preseason Mustache rankings: Dave Wannstedt is last in the division behind Mike Hall, and Mike can't even grow one yet!

Top Bottom