Top five potentially disappointing Big Ten teams (#4. Minnesota)

1. Michigan
2. Northwestern
3. Penn State
4. Minnesota
5. Iowa

How tf did Nebraska not make the list given the hype coming off a 4-8 season? It seems like the author picked these names out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To have a disappointing season...you have to have some decent expectations. Notice that the other teams mentioned aren't Rutgers, Illinois, or Indiana.

Otherwise....yeah....they are pretty much throwing darts here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can't really recall a year where you could find one prediction saying we are going to win the division and another saying we will disappoint or come in near the bottom. Just crazy how all over the place the projections for the West are this season.

I am surprised though that Nebraska is not on their list of potential disappointments, it really feels like that team is massively overhyped going into the season.

Is there any list that the Gophers are NOT on this year? Well, they aren't ranked officially so I guess that is one "list" the Gophers are not on. But, in terms of these little filler lists, I have seen the Gophers on bazillions of "darkhorse" lists and now they are dark horses and potentially disappointing at the same time!

And yes, the fact Nebraska isn't on this list is pretty funny. Give them the inside lane for a division championship as they come off a 4-8 season but don't even consider they might not be able to make that leap? Funny. Not only is there a lot of hype around their program, but it is insulated from a letdown from the high expectations too.

Is there any list that the Gophers are NOT on this year? Well, they aren't ranked officially so I guess that is one "list" the Gophers are not on. But, in terms of these little filler lists, I have seen the Gophers on bazillions of "darkhorse" lists and now they are dark horses and potentially disappointing at the same time!

And yes, the fact Nebraska isn't on this list is pretty funny. Give them the inside lane for a division championship as they come off a 4-8 season but don't even consider they might not be able to make that leap? Funny. Not only is there a lot of hype around their program, but it is insulated from a letdown from the high expectations too.

Oldest team in CFB list?

I can't really recall a year where you could find one prediction saying we are going to win the division and another saying we will disappoint or come in near the bottom. Just crazy how all over the place the projections for the West are this season.

I am surprised though that Nebraska is not on their list of potential disappointments, it really feels like that team is massively overhyped going into the season.

+1

They must be one of the most hyped 4-8 teams ever.

I wouldn't say the Gophers were wildly inconsistent last year. The Gophers weren't doing well the first half of the season, but did well in the second half. That's improvement, not wildly inconsistent. Being wildly inconsistent would be no pattern from week to week.

Seems like their are more prediction articles than ever this year. Writers appear to scramble for intelligent articles to write about and fail to come up with anything (lazy for the most part). So they write a prediction article of sort that doesn't make sense for the most part.

They took this verbatim from the Tom Oates column that ran in the Wisconsin State Journal (posted in another thread).

I've made this point many times. Many of the so-called experts from Web publications are really not much more than plagiarists.

1. Michigan
2. Northwestern
3. Penn State
4. Minnesota
5. Iowa

How tf did Nebraska not make the list given the hype coming off a 4-8 season? It seems like the author picked these names out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Nebraska is the one who could really disappoint here (Well, them and Michigan given the very high expectations for Big Blue). Only a minority of prognosticators are picking us to be something better than 7-5 or 6-6. So, I don't see how this team could be a big disappointment to the consensus. The team could be a disappointment to us fans who are hoping for something more like 9-3 or at worst 8-4.

This kind of lousy reporting belongs in the stockyard!

Predictions are apparently made using our records for the past 50 years and do not seem to be based on the current players and coaches on the team. The ESPN article trying to predict all the conferences has us ranked #30, 6 spots ahead of Nebraska and only 7 spots behind Iowa. Yet most have us predicted near the bottom of the B1G west. Even the ESPN article has us 4th, although only 1 game out of first place. So they think it is going to be an even battle for the B1G west title.

People saying we are young have not looked at our defensive starters, which is mostly 4 and 5 year players.

As for our offense, which is admittedly on the younger side, we have an offensive line averaging 6'6" and 340lbs. Stud senior running back and receiver. Freshman running back and receiver who nearly set freshmen records and a returning QB who went 4-1 last year.

Add that to a favorable schedule and it makes even less sense.

Ohio State has to be at the top of the list with potential to disappoint this year, followed by Nebraska and Michigan.

Top Bottom