WCCO: Tyler Johnson Looks To ‘Cherish Every Moment’ In Senior Year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

There’s just something about Tyler Johnson and season openers. Last year, the former Minneapolis North star had 100 yards and two touchdowns. The year before that, 141 yards and a score. This year might be the most special of them all — not just because it’s his last one, but because he didn’t have to.

“It’s exciting. A lot of adrenaline. Just getting able to go out there with the guys,” Johnson said.

He chose to stay and play his senior year despite a junior season where he caught 78 passes for nearly 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns, and he could’ve been a draft pick. Johnson wanted one more season with his teammates, so you can imagine just how important to him this season is.

“This group of guys, you know, I’m very excited for us all,” Johnson said. “We all pretty much are very connected in every sort of way, you know. So we’ve got a lot of good leaders on this team that put us in the right position.”

Gophers offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarocca says Johnson is a team player through and through, and his sights are always set on improvement.

“The great thing about Tyler is, you know, when you have a guy who’s all-Big Ten, you know, sometimes you worry about whether, like, they feel like they’ve made it, you know … but Tyler, his approach has not been that way,” Ciarocca said. “It’s been more about, not that I’ve arrived, but how can I get better.”

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019...looks-to-cherish-every-moment-in-senior-year/

Go Gophers!!

He could've gone out with Blake and no doubt drafted, but selflessly he chose to stay home one year and help the team. This is big plus for the program. He will help develop the next group of leaders.

He may not have the measurables come combine time, but have the feeling whoever ends up drafting him is going to be very pleased with their choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if with Fleck's culture you see more cases like Tyler. Players who could go and be drafted after their Junior year staying as a senior. Obviously it won't be everyone, but I think it may be higher than usual. The F.A.M.I.L.Y principal applies here I think.

He may not have the measurables come combine time, but have the feeling whoever ends up drafting him is going to be very pleased with their choice.

I think he will test really well in some parameters (especially anything jumping) but so so on his 40 time. If he runs 4.55 or better it won't hurt his stock. 4.6 or 4.7 it definitely will. Doesn't mean he won't get drafted but will slide him down a round or two. 4.4 he moves up probably to the first round given what they have projected him as (I've seen 2-3rd round now).

Top Bottom