STrib: Gophers' Payton Willis a State Fair rookie but a veteran on the floor

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The 6-foot-4 junior guard seemed like a wide-eyed rookie at the Great Minnesota Get-Together. Still, he has the most playing experience of any backcourt player for the Gophers entering the 2019-20 season. Following his sit-out year last season after transferring from Vanderbilt, Willis has stood out among the newcomers this summer.

“I feel like my two years at Vandy definitely helped as far as experience goes,” Willis said. “So, I should be ready when it comes to November.”

The Gophers didn’t have to wait until November, though, to see Willis’ potential impact with the losses of veteran guards Dupree McBrayer and Amir Coffey. Willis was unofficially named team MVP by Pitino after Minnesota’s three-game foreign tour to Italy earlier this month.

“We’re losing so many major pieces in Dupree, Amir and [Jordan Murphy] who were focal points to an NCAA tournament team,” Pitino said. “Those newcomers have got to be ready. Payton was solid in Italy.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-rookie-but-a-veteran-on-the-floor/558371312/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom