P.J. Fleck dismisses significance of Gophers ending 2018 season on high note

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Teddy:

Finishing 7-6 and winning the Quick Lane Bowl over Georgia Tech, 34-10, last season represented a marked improvement over year one for P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The Gophers started the year strong winning their first three games. However, the team then lost five of their next six to put their postseason hopes in jeopardy.

Thanks to wins over Purdue and Wisconsin in the final three weeks of the regular season, the program was able to secure the bowl berth they had been seeking.

Many people believe this strong finish gives Minnesota some momentum headed into 2019 – just don’t count their head coach as one of them.

“That has nothing to do with this year,” Fleck said.

“People get on me all the time about this word ‘momentum,’ I don’t believe in that. I don’t. That’s something I’ve said since I’ve been a head coach. I just never believed in that.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...e-of-gophers-ending-2018-season-on-high-note/

Go Gophers!!

I get what he's saying.

I think momentum DOES play into attendance and such.... if only because keep winning and folks will show up.

But as a coach I get how it's not something you want to lean on and hope it helps.

Pretty standard coach speak. I've heard even national championship coaches say "it's a whole new season" or something along those lines.

per Teddy:

Finishing 7-6 and winning the Quick Lane Bowl over Georgia Tech, 34-10, last season represented a marked improvement over year one for P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The Gophers started the year strong winning their first three games. However, the team then lost five of their next six to put their postseason hopes in jeopardy.

Thanks to wins over Purdue and Wisconsin in the final three weeks of the regular season, the program was able to secure the bowl berth they had been seeking.

Many people believe this strong finish gives Minnesota some momentum headed into 2019 – just don’t count their head coach as one of them.

“That has nothing to do with this year,” Fleck said.

“People get on me all the time about this word ‘momentum,’ I don’t believe in that. I don’t. That’s something I’ve said since I’ve been a head coach. I just never believed in that.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...e-of-gophers-ending-2018-season-on-high-note/

Go Gophers!!

Huh.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-says-gophers-need-to-carry-over-momentum/508552032/

Pretty standard coach speak. I've heard even national championship coaches say "it's a whole new season" or something along those lines.

I tend to agree with it though. Momentum within the season might come into play a little bit but from the end of one season to the start of another there really is no carryover for the players.

The concept of momentum/excitement in that regard is much more geared at the fans then the team itself.

just reading the headline, it seems like Fleck is already a typical Minnesota sports fan.

Top Bottom