Andy Greder: Sure, Gophers quarterback Tanner Morgan is shorter. But he’s also crafty

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
I think it’s finally settled! Morgan claims to be 6’ 1/2”. He makes a good point - when you have a 6’9” OT, it doesn’t matter whether you’re 6’ or 6’3”. You’re not going to be able to see over them either way.

Tanner Morgan smiled when asked about his height on Sunday, dealing with it in the same way the Gophers’ starting quarterback has handled his early baldness.

Losing your hair as a redshirt sophomore? Shave it.

Can’t get a good look at receivers in the pocket? Move around.

With four of five men in his family being bald, Morgan says he’s “6-foot and a 1/2 (inch) — whatever it is.”

“You got to find your lanes, whether you are 6-3 or 6-foot,” he said. “When your right tackle is 6-9 (Daniel Faalele), it just is what it is. I personally don’t think about it. You just have to have a good feel for the game and move around. If you can’t see, move and just find an opening.”

Morgan found a way around short stature last year, with a 4-2 record as a starter. He completed 59 percent of his passes for 1,401 yards, nine touchdowns and six interceptions. He has taken all the Gophers’ first-team reps after 6-foot-3 QB Zack Annexstad suffered a foot injury that could keep him out months.

“(Morgan) has incredible response mechanisms,” head coach P.J. Fleck said. “That’s what makes him very unique. That is part of the intangible category. He’s not a big, 6-5 guy. He can’t throw a 95 miles-per-hour fastball. But he’s got these intangibles that are off the charts.”.........

More here: https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/...tanner-morgan-is-shorter-but-hes-also-crafty/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Could they just give him shoes with really thick soles?

And a step ladder for the huddle, so he can look his teammates in the eye.

It is a little comical that so much is made of QB height, given recent history. It doesn’t matter as much these days.

Short is the new tall.

And a step ladder for the huddle, so he can look his teammates in the eye.

It is a little comical that so much is made of QB height, given recent history. It doesn’t matter as much these days.

What are our Gophers? Pirates?;)

Seriously, I agree. It might cost a play or two from a batted down ball, but in the grand scheme, it is insignificant.

What are our Gophers? Pirates?;)

Seriously, I agree. It might cost a play or two from a batted down ball, but in the grand scheme, it is insignificant.

I agree that an inch or two in height is nothing to worry about but height definitely seems to be a big factor in the NFL. Found this graph from 2016. https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starting-nfl-quarterback-heights/

I do think height is less of a factor in college where QBs tend to run more and move a lot more then then do in the NFL. Obviously there are always exceptions to every rule as well, just because most QBs are tall it certainly doesn't mean that it is a requirement for success.

The great news for us is we shouldn't need Morgan to be a world beater, just play smart and use the weapons at his disposal. Excited to see how much he as matured and improved over the course of the off season.

Morgan has mastered the offense, and has looked extremely confident in all the practices I've attended. Road graders up front, work horses behind him, and thoroughbreds on the ends heading down field. I also think Fleck will slip Seth in at QB more often in less obvious run situations.

Last edited:

Morgan has mastered the offense, and has looked extremely confident in all the practices I've attended. Road graders up front, work horses behind him, and thoroughbreds on the ends heading done field. I also think Fleck will slip Seth in at QB more often in less obvious run situations.

I agree with PMWinSTP.

(I try to agree with him as often as possible because he gets irritable when we don't agree).

Could they just give him shoes with really thick soles?
Solved!
61e79deef7ecff629b661a0f7f6ed1c1.jpg

Totally unrealistic shoe! How are you supposed to tie the shoe?!

Edit: In reply to Mennosota

Top Bottom