QB Coan gets starting nod for No. 19 Badgers

RememberMurray

Reaction score
"MADISON, Wis. -- There was no formal announcement Sunday, but Jack Coan will open the season as the starting quarterback for the 19th-ranked Wisconsin Badgers.

The news came as no surprise, since Coan took the first-team reps in fall camp, ahead of Chase Wolf and highly touted freshman Graham Mertz. The two were co-listed as backups on the depth chart, with Danny Vanden Boom rounding out the group."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27462301/qb-coan-gets-starting-nod-no-19-badgers

First of all, going to Florida the first week of the season is a brainless move. Brainless. The one advantage southerners have is that they have the heat early in the year. Don’t give that to them.

Secondly, they can always switch QBs if Coan isn’t getting it done.

I think Wisconsin might be planning on riding the Jonathan Taylor train this season.

Jack Coan's stat line from the big bowl win over Miami:

11 attempts, 6 completions, 73 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

The Badgers rushed for 333 yards. Wisconsin defense produced 4 interceptions.

I think Minnesota will run the ball just as well as Wisconsin does in 2019, and I see our passing game as being better than the Badgers'.

Last edited:

Wisconsin has an interesting schedule this year. After opening at USF, they have 5 home games in a row b4 closing with 4 of 6 on the road.

BTW, I live in Tampa area and it is going to be hot and humid Friday night, though much more tolerable than an afternoon game, which would be brutal.

I think Wisconsin might be planning on riding the Jonathan Taylor train this season.

I think Minnesota will run the ball just as well as Wisconsin does in 2019, and I see our passing game as being better than the Badgers'.

Yeah, I’m with you. Really want to curb stomp them here this year.

Wisconsin has an interesting schedule this year. After opening at USF, they have 5 home games in a row b4 closing with 4 of 6 on the road.

BTW, I live in Tampa area and it is going to be hot and humid Friday night, though much more tolerable than an afternoon game, which would be brutal.

I live in Tampa as well lol. #GoBulls

Not too much faith in Coach Strong to get the job done against Wisco though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Tampa as well lol. #GoBulls

Not too much faith in Coach Strong to get the job done against Wisco though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Charlie has always seemed to have his teams competitive but they seem to spit the bit at the end.

Yeah, I’m with you. Really want to curb stomp them here this year.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Can you honestly remember the last time Wisconsin did anything other then ride the train of one or two top running backs on offense? It is what they do, they get by with a great running game and an adequate passing game. Didn't work out great for them last year but has been a pretty successful strategy for quite a while.

Can you honestly remember the last time Wisconsin did anything other then ride the train of one or two top running backs on offense? It is what they do, they get by with a great running game and an adequate passing game. Didn't work out great for them last year but has been a pretty successful strategy for quite a while.

Yes, and that's exactly my point!

For all the talking heads, from Glen Mason on down, who worry about whether or not Tanner Morgan "has what it takes" to win in the B1G, I present Exhibit A: Jack Coan, Wisconsin, and the Pinstripe Bowl.

In 2019, WE are going to run the ball, folks. And when you think we're finally done running the ball, we're going to run some more.

Our big, tough, powerful offensive line and our talented four or five deep stable of running backs are going to pound away.

Stop worrying about Tanner Morgan's ability to throw 'The Deep Ball'! Do you think Chryst is worried about Jack Coan's 'Deep Ball'?!

As Aaron Rodgers once said: "R-E-L-A-X!"

Last edited:

Russell Wilson?

Ran into a few Badger fans in the off season that told me Mertz would start from day one and ride into the sunset as a historic, accomplished force at QB for them by the time his college career ends. I guess half of that could still come true and perhaps even Coen will struggle and Mertz will burn a redshirt this season and be fantastic. At the very least, some of that hype has been cooled down now as it appears Mertz won't be starting right away as a freshman. Freshmen starting in college football isn't unheard of, even for some accomplished teams so at least it appears out of the gates Mertz isn't as spectacular as a lot of Wisconsin fans had predicted.

I get it. This might all end up being a small footnote after Mertz sets the world on fire some day. Just not today.

"MADISON, Wis. -- There was no formal announcement Sunday, but Jack Coan will open the season as the starting quarterback for the 19th-ranked Wisconsin Badgers.

The news came as no surprise, since Coan took the first-team reps in fall camp, ahead of Chase Wolf and highly touted freshman Graham Mertz. The two were co-listed as backups on the depth chart, with Danny Vanden Boom rounding out the group."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27462301/qb-coan-gets-starting-nod-no-19-badgers

Based purely on name, the obvious choice is VANDEN BOOM. ;)

Ran into a few Badger fans in the off season that told me Mertz would start from day one and ride into the sunset as a historic, accomplished force at QB for them by the time his college career ends. I guess half of that could still come true and perhaps even Coen will struggle and Mertz will burn a redshirt this season and be fantastic. At the very least, some of that hype has been cooled down now as it appears Mertz won't be starting right away as a freshman. Freshmen starting in college football isn't unheard of, even for some accomplished teams so at least it appears out of the gates Mertz isn't as spectacular as a lot of Wisconsin fans had predicted.

I get it. This might all end up being a small footnote after Mertz sets the world on fire some day. Just not today.

some one said it before, but it bears repeating here. Coan is the defacto starter so that he doesnt transfer out, which to me makes a lot of sense. THrow the guy a bone for a few starts to make sure you have some quality depth only to give way to your highly touted recruit once his feet are wet. I wouldn't be surprised if Mertz is starting against us at TCF late novemeber.

Top Bottom