Mark Coyle on the Sports Huddle

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher AD Mark Coyle was on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Sunday morning.

(I was riding my exercise bike at the time, so was not taking notes. a few bullet points from memory)

*Fundraising for the Athletes Village is up to $135 million. (goal of $166 million) continuing to raise money.

*Also working on facilities for other sports, including improvements to Maturi Pavilion for Volleyball. Improved Golf facilities.

*Volleyball opens season ranked 3rd in NCAA. Tickets hard to find. added air-conditioning. McCutcheon best coach in country.

*Flash sale of $10 Football tickets sold out - over 7,000 sold in 24 hours. Expect good crowd for SDSU game.

*PJ Fleck has brought new enthusiasm to entire athletic department. very visible. supports other teams.

*Likes direction of both Men's and women's basketball programs. Pitino has gone to NCAA in 2 of last 3 years. NCAA run last year was great, brought fans back to program. Program going in right direction. Whalen did great job with no coaching experience, and is recruiting very well.

*talked about his relationship with new B1G Commissioner Kevin Warren. Warren was on the search committee that helped hire Coyle. They speak often. Twin Cities will continue to work to host NCAA events. Holding D1 Wrestling Championships at US Bank Stadium, Women's Basketball Final Four coming.

*8pm kickoff time for SDSU game was set by TV.

*Future football scheduling - better non-conf opponents including BYU, Colorado, North Carolina, Mississippi State. Idea of going to 10-game conference football schedule brought up - Coyle said he likes conference games, seemed amenable to 10 game sched. Talked about NCAA telling teams that strength of schedule would be factor in making FBS playoffs, but feels B1G has not received enough credit for its schedule - not getting B1G teams into playoffs.

(That's what I can recall off the top of my head.)

P.S. later in show, Mona asked Sid and Max for gopher Football predictions. Sid said 7 wins. Max said 10 wins. Mona said - if they're going to have a break-through year, this is it. also, announced that the Sports Huddle will go to a regular 9:00am to Noon schedule after the State Fair.

Gopher AD Mark Coyle was on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Sunday morning.

(I was riding my exercise bike at the time, so was not taking notes. a few bullet points from memory)

*Fundraising for the Athletes Village is up to $135 million. (goal of $166 million) continuing to raise money.

*Also working on facilities for other sports, including improvements to Maturi Pavilion for Volleyball. Improved Golf facilities.

*Volleyball opens season ranked 3rd in NCAA. Tickets hard to find. added air-conditioning. McCutcheon best coach in country.

*Flash sale of $10 Football tickets sold out - over 7,000 sold in 24 hours. Expect good crowd for SDSU game.

*PJ Fleck has brought new enthusiasm to entire athletic department. very visible. supports other teams.

*Likes direction of both Men's and women's basketball programs. Pitino has gone to NCAA in 2 of last 3 years. NCAA run last year was great, brought fans back to program. Program going in right direction. Whalen did great job with no coaching experience, and is recruiting very well.

*talked about his relationship with new B1G Commissioner Kevin Warren. Warren was on the search committee that helped hire Coyle. They speak often. Twin Cities will continue to work to host NCAA events. Holding D1 Wrestling Championships at US Bank Stadium, Women's Basketball Final Four coming.

*8pm kickoff time for SDSU game was set by TV.

*Future football scheduling - better non-conf opponents including BYU, Colorado, North Carolina, Mississippi State. Idea of going to 10-game conference football schedule brought up - Coyle said he likes conference games, seemed amenable to 10 game sched. Talked about NCAA telling teams that strength of schedule would be factor in making FBS playoffs, but feels B1G has not received enough credit for its schedule - not getting B1G teams into playoffs.

(That's what I can recall off the top of my head.)

P.S. later in show, Mona asked Sid and Max for gopher Football predictions. Sid said 7 wins. Max said 10 wins. Mona said - if they're going to have a break-through year, this is it. also, announced that the Sports Huddle will go to a regular 9:00am to Noon schedule after the State Fair.

Not a fan of this idea. Then again, I’m not a fan of mega conference consolidation, the BCS, a playoff selection committee, player salaries, players as employees or ICs, so I appear to be outside the mainstream on a lot of things or at least outside of the vocal minority. If they do this 10 game schedule don’t complain about missing out on the current 4 slot CFP. If an expansion occurs then it’s not an issue.

10 game conf schedule gives more, higher value content to TV, and gives 5 conf home games every year. So I'm for that.

But would like a guarantee that every other P5 also goes to 10 conf games -OR- that all P5's at least agree to schedule 10 P5 teams.

Would allow exemptions for long-running P5 vs P5 intra-conference games, like Iowa-Iowa St, Florida-Florida St, etc.

10 game conf schedule gives more, higher value content to TV, and gives 5 conf home games every year. So I'm for that.

But would like a guarantee that every other P5 also goes to 10 conf games -OR- that all P5's at least agree to schedule 10 P5 teams.

Would allow exemptions for long-running P5 vs P5 intra-conference games, like Iowa-Iowa St, Florida-Florida St, etc.

At the same time you would lose a home game some years if you want to schedule a good non conference opponent and have to play them on the road. For instance, Iowa would have just 6 home games during the seasons they play at Iowa St.

At the same time you would lose a home game some years if you want to schedule a good non conference opponent and have to play them on the road. For instance, Iowa would have just 6 home games during the seasons they play at Iowa St.

I already addressed that specifically. I don't know how it could work, maybe it would not be possible, but I wanted an exemption for the five cases of long running intra-conf games. Iowa-Iowa St being one of them. The other four are in the SEC-ACC (Florida-FSU, Clemson-SoCarolina, Georgia-GA Tech, Kentucky-Louisville).

I guess one way it could work would be for another Big Ten team to agree to have their 10th "conf" game be some other Non-con P5 game. I could see Illinois vs Missouri, or perhaps Nebraska vs K State or some other old Big 8 foe being the most likely.

Listened to it realtime and he represented the University very well.

Although I still see him as a snake, he's our snake. I support him.

I already addressed that specifically. I don't know how it could work, maybe it would not be possible, but I wanted an exemption for the five cases of long running intra-conf games. Iowa-Iowa St being one of them. The other four are in the SEC-ACC (Florida-FSU, Clemson-SoCarolina, Georgia-GA Tech, Kentucky-Louisville).

I guess one way it could work would be for another Big Ten team to agree to have their 10th "conf" game be some other Non-con P5 game. I could see Illinois vs Missouri, or perhaps Nebraska vs K State or some other old Big 8 foe being the most likely.

Gotcha. I wasn't really sure what you meant by exemptions in those cases.

"*Flash sale of $10 Football tickets sold out - over 7,000 sold in 24 hours. Expect good crowd for SDSU game."

This is wonderful news. Hopefully, this shows if fans believe this program is headed in the right direction, they will support it. Now is not the time to tamp down expectations; now is the time to make a move.

"*PJ Fleck has brought new enthusiasm to entire athletic department. very visible. supports other teams."

A positive, winning attitude is contagious; unfortunately, so is a loser mentality.

10 game costs you content to sell unless your two non-conference games are buy games or neutral site games that you own the TV rights to.

Right now there are 96 games the big ten owns tv rights to in 2019.
If you went ten games in conference that gets you 70 games.
That gives you 28 non conference games to get 26 games of TV rights to break even.

I’m sure a Rutgers vs Wisconsin game makes more money than a Rutgers vs UMASS game. But I’m not sure it makes more than a Rutgers vs UMASS AND Wisconsin vs Central Michigan
But I don’t know much about TV network negotiations. I’m just saying a 10 game schedule gives you less content to sell (even though it is more quality)

10 game costs you content to sell unless your two non-conference games are buy games or neutral site games that you own the TV rights to.

Right now there are 96 games the big ten owns tv rights to in 2019.
If you went ten games in conference that gets you 70 games.
That gives you 28 non conference games to get 26 games of TV rights to break even.

I’m sure a Rutgers vs Wisconsin game makes more money than a Rutgers vs UMASS game. But I’m not sure it makes more than a Rutgers vs UMASS AND Wisconsin vs Central Michigan
But I don’t know much about TV network negotiations. I’m just saying a 10 game schedule gives you less content to sell (even though it is more quality)

I’m talking about conference games. The ones in the massive ESPN-Fox contract.

I’m confident that replacing Minnesota - South Dakota St with a more valuable property like Minnesota - Michigan will bring more value to the conference TV deal.

Between that deal and the CFP TV deal, that’s the large bulk of where the $50M per year that the Big Ten gives us comes from.

Going to a 10 game conference schedule will hurt CFP chances more.
It's not by accident that SEC and ACC have been well represented in the CFP due to an 8 game conference schedule (4 easier games for everyone).

When the team in the middle of your standings is 8-4 instead of 6-6, it makes your whole conference look better.

I'd only be in favor if they went to an 8 team playoff where the 5 Power 5 conference winners are guaranteed a seat at the table.

I'd only be in favor if they went to an 8 team playoff where the 5 Power 5 conference winners are guaranteed a seat at the table.

Or a six team with auto-bids.

I agree with auto-bids for the P5, regardless. That would be important.

It's not by accident that SEC and ACC have been well represented in the CFP due to an 8 game conference schedule (4 easier games for everyone).

I don’t agree with this. Clemson plays at least 9 every year, because they always play Southy Carolina.

Georgia always plays Georgia Tech.

Alabama doesn’t have an ACC crossover, but they do usually play 9 or 10 P5 teams. In fact, Saban is one of the people spearheading for the P5 to play only other P5 teams (I think ... or at least 10).

And those three are pretty much the SEC and ACC reps the last few years.

I don’t agree with this. Clemson plays at least 9 every year, because they always play Southy Carolina.

Alabama doesn’t have an ACC crossover, but they do usually play 9 or 10 P5 teams. In fact, Saban is one of the people spearheading for the P5 to play only other P5 teams (I think ... or at least 10).

True, but the Big Ten usually has Power 5 crossover as well.

I think analysis was done last year on this and on average, the Big Ten was playing not quite a full game more P5's per year per team.

Would love to know those facts!

Minnesota has yet to play a P5 in non-con under Fleck. We play BYU next year, which is closer to P5 than MW (in my opinion), and then Colorado in 21.

Off the top of my head, Iowa-Iowa State is the only guaranteed P5 non-con each year. But yes, quite a few do play them.

SEC generally all play an FCS team in November as a cream puff game. Add a ninth conference game and let's see how that works out for them.

"*Flash sale of $10 Football tickets sold out - over 7,000 sold in 24 hours. Expect good crowd for SDSU game."

This is wonderful news. Hopefully, this shows if fans believe this program is headed in the right direction, they will support it. Now is not the time to tamp down expectations; now is the time to make a move.

"*PJ Fleck has brought new enthusiasm to entire athletic department. very visible. supports other teams."

A positive, winning attitude is contagious; unfortunately, so is a loser mentality.
I'm concern it's SDSU fans picking up cheap seats

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Would love to know those facts!

Minnesota has yet to play a P5 in non-con under Fleck. We play BYU next year, which is closer to P5 than MW (in my opinion), and then Colorado in 21.

Off the top of my head, Iowa-Iowa State is the only guaranteed P5 non-con each year. But yes, quite a few do play them.
Played Oregon State in year zero

Thanks for the report Son! You do a great job. Hoping you're getting to the state fair to look for a snowblower sale! Can't have you out this winter due to a back issue or a heart attack.

I’m talking about conference games. The ones in the massive ESPN-Fox contract.

I’m confident that replacing Minnesota - South Dakota St with a more valuable property like Minnesota - Michigan will bring more value to the conference TV deal.

Between that deal and the CFP TV deal, that’s the large bulk of where the $50M per year that the Big Ten gives us comes from.

They are all on the same tv deal. The home team owns the rights to the TV distribution.
You don’t replace South Dakota state Minnesota with Michigan Minnesota

You gain Minnesota Michigan, but you lose two games (Minnesota SDSU AND Michigan vs one of their opponents)
You are replacing two games with one. So unless no one in the conference plans on ever playing road games non conference again...you are gaining some valuable games to sell but overall you are losing the number of games to sell.

I'm concern it's SDSU fans picking up cheap seats

Just fill the stadium. Of course it's better if there are 50,000 Gopher fans there. But if Gopher fans don't come, I'll take visitors. It's way more fun if there are people there, no matter who they're cheering for.

Just fill the stadium. Of course it's better if there are 50,000 Gopher fans there. But if Gopher fans don't come, I'll take visitors. It's way more fun if there are people there, no matter who they're cheering for.

Agreed. Their $ helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are gaining some valuable games to sell but overall you are losing the number of games to sell.

But that is the whole point. The games being replaced are low value. No one wants them, and they end up on BTN (where the Big Ten only gets to keep 50% of the revenue, FOX keeps the other half).

It's not that simple, of course, but it comes down to a cost-benefit analysis, which neither of us are prepared or probably have all the correct data/info to estimate with any quality. We have our hunches. Unless shown wrong with a high quality estimation, and lots of data sources provided, I stand by my guess that going to 10 conf games would result in a net increase of value to the conference TV deal.

Top Bottom