2019 is currently our toughest schedule in 6 years

You are right, the data is neutral, the analysis is the problem. The statement made was "this really shows how impressive our wins last year were." I dont accept that last year's wins would have been less impressive had we also beaten Illinois.

Well, here's another stat for you.
Last 12 years we are 12-49 in our last 61 games against Sagarin top 40 teams.
(14-58 against Top 50)

4 of those 12 wins came last year under Fleck.
Only three of those 12 wins were by more than 17 points.
All happened last year.

In the non-Fleck wins, only two games were won by more than 7 points.

Last edited:

Well, here's another stat for you.
Last 12 years we are 12-49 in our last 61 games against Sagarin top 40 teams.

4 of those 12 wins came last year under Fleck.
Only three of those 12 wins were by more than 17 points.
All happened last year.

This is why I have a belief that the gophers are going to turn some heads this year (though I think Iowa is going to win the division)

By the end of the year the team had begun to figure out consistency. I believe they will be as successful or more successful against the good teams next year but that the improved consistency will lead to 6-0 against SDSU, GSU, Fresno, Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers.

I also believe Penn state, northwestern, and Purdue all take a step back this year.
I think this team goes a minimum of 2-4 in those other 6 games and a max of 4-2
I think this team goes somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2

I could be wrong obviously

If we had beaten 2/3 of Nebraska, Illinois, and Maryland last year we would’ve been preseason top 15

We’d have been 8-4 and then expecting 9+ would make sense.

And if grandma had balls she’d be grandpa.

I also believe Penn state, northwestern, and Purdue all take a step back this year.

Nothing at all wrong with hoping this turns out to be true. I hope it does too.

But I think this is wishful thinking. Depends on the QB play those squads get.

Most GH'ers don't seem to know it, but anyone saying they'll be disappointed in anything less than 8 or 9 wins really bought into Fleck's wins last year over great teams and seem to have lost focus that historically, MN only wins games against top 70 teams at a 25% clip. (25 and 73 in last 98).

Gophers have 9 games against Top 70 as it stands right now. So say we win 2 of those and win our other 3. 5-7 record is realistic based on 2007-2018 data. Most of those years were not with Fleck and were with far more attractive uniforms.

Most GH'ers don't seem to know it, but anyone saying they'll be disappointed in anything less than 8 or 9 wins really bought into Fleck's wins last year over great teams and seem to have lost focus that historically, MN only wins games against top 70 teams at a 25% clip. (25 and 73 in last 98).

Gophers have 9 games against Top 70 as it stands right now. So say we win 2 of those and win our other 3. 5-7 record is realistic based on 2007-2018 data. Most of those years were not with Fleck and were with far more attractive uniforms.

Maybe you're being a little tongue-in-cheek, but if not: how will games from the distant past have any impact on the games the Gophers play in 2019, exactly?

Maybe you're being a little tongue-in-cheek, but if not: how will games from the distant past have any impact on the games the Gophers play in 2019, exactly?

I'm just relaying our past success against similarly rated teams and basing my expectations on that.
I'm hopeful for far better, but I can't expect better than past performance being a Gopher football fan.
If this Gopher teams loses to top 40 or top 60 teams, it's not like the world would be shocked that we lost to teams rated that high. It's been happening forever, especially the last 10-12 years.

We’d have been 8-4 and then expecting 9+ would make sense.

And if grandma had balls she’d be grandpa.

I listened to the Gridiron Radio podcast last night. That liar Ryan Burns predicted 9 wins. I told him I don’t believe he thinks that, no rational person could, and I asked him what he bet on it. No response to anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just relaying our past success against similarly rated teams and basing my expectations on that.
I'm hopeful for far better, but I can't expect better than past performance being a Gopher football fan.
If this Gopher teams loses to top 40 or top 60 teams, it's not like the world would be shocked that we lost to teams rated that high. It's been happening forever, especially the last 10-12 years.

Wow.

You "can't expect better"? Seriously?

Think about that for a few moments.

And... you never answered my question: how will games from years ago have any impact whatsoever on 2019 games?

If I didn’t expect better than the last 12 years, going forward, I’d find something else to do. I’m not talking about a specific number of wins this season, but big picture.

If I didn’t expect better than the last 12 years, going forward, I’d find something else to do. I’m not talking about a specific number of wins this season, but big picture.

Exactly.

Wow.

You "can't expect better"? Seriously?

Think about that for a few moments.

And... you never answered my question: how will games from years ago have any impact whatsoever on 2019 games?

For the same reason we haven't been in the Rose Bowl for 50 years.
I hope it changes, but I don't EXPECT it to change.

Last year, beating 4 top 50 teams was an anomaly we haven't seen in 18-20 years. (Especially by the average margin of 21 points).

In the 18 years from 2000-2017, we only have 18 other wins over top 50. (1 per year).

Only other year that comes close was 2005 where we beat Michigan, Michigan St, and Tulsa who were 16, 35, and 44.

Exactly correct.

By the way, the definition of expect also includes “look for (something) from someone as rightfully due or requisite in the circumstances” and “require (someone) to fulfill an obligation”. Ie, a father tells his son “I expect this room to be clean when I get home!”

That is the tone and definition that RememberMurray and that cohort are using, when they say expect. They feel like they are owed something, for their years of fandom in Gopher football, and they’re here to collect this year, or else!

Exactly correct.

By the way, the definition of expect also includes “look for (something) from someone as rightfully due or requisite in the circumstances” and “require (someone) to fulfill an obligation”. Ie, a father tells his son “I expect this room to be clean when I get home!”

That is the tone and definition that RememberMurray and that cohort are using, when they say expect. They feel like they are owed something, for their years of fandom in Gopher football, and they’re here to collect this year, or else!

You just don't get it.

Nothing at all wrong with hoping this turns out to be true. I hope it does too.

But I think this is wishful thinking. Depends on the QB play those squads get.

CORRECT
It does depend on quarterback play. We will see who prognosticates correctly about those three teams’ quarterback play.

I predict
6-6 northwestern
8-4 Penn State
6-6 Purdue

What do you think?

Last year, beating 4 top 50 teams was an anomaly we haven't seen in 18-20 years. (Especially by the average margin of 21 points).

In the 18 years from 2000-2017, we only have 18 other wins over top 50. (1 per year).

Only other year that comes close was 2005 where we beat Michigan, Michigan St, and Tulsa who were 16, 35, and 44.

Good grief! Why do you even bother following the team, then?

And... still no answer to the question: how can performances from many years past possibly have any bearing whatsoever on 2019 performance?

And... still no answer to the question: how can performances from many years past possibly have any bearing whatsoever on 2019 performance?

Weird question from you. I follow the team as I did for the last 30-40 seasons because I like watching Gopher football.
Are you not suppose to be a fan unless your expectations are that the team performs with more big victories than has been achieved in any year out of the last 20?

Also, I did answer your question. You didn't like the answer so you pretended I didn't answer it.

Somebody explain how next year is going to be easier in terms of W/L. Go.

We might have a junior at QB.

Also, this year we might see Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Maryland, or Iowa take a big step back which could cause them to be worse in 2020 than we are projecting for them to be right now for the 2019 season.

It will be nice when the team is good enough that we don’t need to make assumptions about potential win totals based on the schedule. Fans of the better teams in the conference assume they’ll have a good chance to win every game, regardless of who they play. Let’s get to that point, so we can stick a fork in threads like this one, where we’re worried about whether we can beat top 60-70 teams. It’s honestly a little depressing.

Last edited:

It will be nice when the team is good enough that we don’t need to make assumptions about potential win totals based on the schedule. Fans of the better teams in the conference assume they’ll have a good chance to win every game, regardless of who they play. Let’s get to that point, so we can stick a fork in threads like this one, where we’re worried about whether we can beat top 60-70 teams. It’s honestly a little depressing.

For the record: I occasionally have to fight the feeling that "the wheels are gonna fall off"... while watching a replay of a game we won.

(I'm laughing but it's true)

For the record: I occasionally have to fight the feeling that "the wheels are gonna fall off"... while watching a replay of a game we won.

(I'm laughing but it's true)

We'll know we've finally turned a corner as a program when our fans no longer feel like this.

As someone said, we will be able to lose our sad sack, 'woe-is-us', here we go again Minnesota attitude.

I, personally, can't wait for that to happen and I feel we're on the verge of getting there right now... this year.

He's not a Minnesota fan, and not very intelligent. Simple: ignore list him, and don't quote him.

Even when he's in a room by himself, there are still two a$$holes present. Stop feeding the dolt.

That’s a good way to go through life.

If you don’t like what someone says, don’t try to engage them with thoughtful, good-faith discussion, and try to learn why they have a different viewpoint then you do. Instead, run away from them and seek refuge in an echo chamber.

Explains a lot for why we have the current leadership in this country.

CORRECT
It does depend on quarterback play. We will see who prognosticates correctly about those three teams’ quarterback play.

I predict
6-6 northwestern
8-4 Penn State
6-6 Purdue

What do you think?

Penn St is in the 6th year of Franklin as HC. He had two 7 wins, two 11 wins, and a 9 win season. They’ve also been able to pull some QBs out of a hat in the past. I mentioned Daryl Clark and Matt McGloin in another thread. So I don’t see why they’ll have a problem doing that again. I assume they’ll get at least 9 wins again.

NW I assume will be battling for the West again, if their transfer comes through. They won it at 8-4 last year, so assuming that again.

Purdue was 6-6 in Brohm’s first two seasons (regular season). So I think 6-6 is the baseline for them, but they’re looking to take a step forward. Pretty much same as us ... which is the conundrum in the West!

Last edited:

Perhaps the gophers will be a better team next year?

Maybe, maybe not. The schedule is not as attractive even without considering the roster maturation of some opponents.

We trade Penn State at TCF for Michigan at TCF.
We trade Rutgers in Piscataway for Michigan State in East Lansing.
We get Wisconsin in Madison.
Nebraska is away.

This is a fascinating statistic right here. Very illuminating.

Maybe, maybe not. The schedule is not as attractive even without considering the roster maturation of some opponents.

We trade Penn State at TCF for Michigan at TCF.
We trade Rutgers in Piscataway for Michigan State in East Lansing.
We get Wisconsin in Madison.
Nebraska is away.

Well, those certainly are reasons enough to go all out this year. Here are a couple more:

We lose some VERY significant seniors after this season.

It's certainly possible, depending on his performance this year, that someone like Daniel Faalele could go early. It's not like he has to develop more on a physical level to play in the NFL. You have to be out of high school for 3 years but he may meet that if his last year at IMG was considered an extra prep year.

It’s funny, you never hear fans at Alabama, Clemson,
Ohio State say things like:

“guys, we lose some really talented seniors after this season, and the schedule gets slightly harder, so we have to win it all this year! Because we know next year we’re probably gonna suck!”

You just never hear it ...

It’s funny, you never hear fans at Alabama, Clemson,
Ohio State say things like:

“guys, we lose some really talented seniors after this season, and the schedule gets slightly harder, so we have to win it all this year! Because we know next year we’re probably gonna suck!”

You just never hear it ...

Are you comparing our depth to that at Alabama, Clemson, and tOSU? Have you bet on that?

Top Bottom