Gophers football boosted by returns of Rodney Smith and Antoine Winfield

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

For all the success Rodney Smith and Antoine Winfield Jr. have had with the Minnesota Gophers, they shared a simple objective in preseason camp: Make contact and remember what football feels like.

Smith and Winfield saw their 2018 seasons ended abruptly by injury in September.

“I won’t say I’m 100 percent until I get tackled,” Smith said as preseason camp began in July. Added Winfield, “I haven’t had contact in a while. Some contact would be nice.”

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sp...-returns-of-Rodney-Smith-and-Antoine-Winfield

Go Gophers!!

Stay healthy boys.

I want to see both of them on the field one last time. This time with a much improved OL.

These two were so much fun to watch.

On Kirk Herbstreit's preseason "Herbie Awards" show, Winfield Jr. was "nominated" for his "Welcome Back" award for best player returning from an injury. The other two nominees were LBs from LSU & Alabama. LB from Alabama won....but Herbstreit said that AWjr could be one of the best DBs in the nation this year.

On Kirk Herbstreit's preseason "Herbie Awards" show, Winfield Jr. was "nominated" for his "Welcome Back" award for best player returning from an injury. The other two nominees were LBs from LSU & Alabama. LB from Alabama won....but Herbstreit said that AWjr could be one of the best DBs in the nation this year.

Father and son Jim Thorpe Awards would be nice. He has a little hype going for him, and of course, name recognition, so people will be paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't overuse these guys like we did Shannon Brooks last season who was kept in too long risking unnecessary injury.

People like to talk recruits and transfers and redshirts coming off, but the big three injury returnees represent the best bet for the team to go from good to great this year. Especially AWJr.

People like to talk recruits and transfers and redshirts coming off, but the big three injury returnees represent the best bet for the team to go from good to great this year. Especially AWJr.

Totally agree. Winfield makes a massive difference on our defense he just has to find a way to stay healthy and on the field. When he is back there it changes the whole complexion of the defense because you know that he is there and will make everyone around him better.

Getting a healthy year from Smith and Brooks would also be huge but less so then it would be with Winfield since we know we have some capable replacements at RB that can get the job done if those guys can't stay healthy. But if they can.......we haven't had a RB stable like that since the Mason years.

Top Bottom