Chip: TCF Bank Stadium, at age 10, still comes to life too rarely

What I remember about the TCU game is they sold a number of standing room only tickets as well. I remember looking up at the top of the sections of both the lower and upper concourses and seeing fans packed 3-4 deep. It was a good atmosphere.

The administration has taken measures designed to create a more robust gameday atmosphere. They added beer sales for the general public a few years ago and offered discounted tickets in certain sections this season. Smart moves. A successful season would provide the biggest boost.

Am I just getting old but hasn't beer been available since Day 0...starting with the Air Force game?

No, and it was only in limited areas initially too.

I've been to most home games since 2012 (and a few before then too), definitely some clunkers in their attendance-wise

Still think it's a great venue, stinks local tailgate is too expensive (for me at least)

Several people mentioning that TCU game and rightfully so. There was some optimism surrounding the team and the chance to look a top 5 team in the eye at TCF Bank Stadium after a promising prior year for the Gophers was enough to sell a LOT of tickets and create a great atmosphere. I think that game can be used as one indicator of when we will see this again. I rip on the level of college football knowledge within this NFL town from time to time but perhaps I am being too hard on our fair weather fans. They know the difference between TCU and New Mexico State. They even know the difference between Syracuse and UNLV. Interesting to note that several of the games I recall being great atmospheres were losses.

As I look back at these first 10 seasons in TCF, some games stand out to me for atmosphere and one thing that many (but not all) of them have is a night setting. The place definitely feels different at night, in a good way. In no particular order some of the best atmosphere games include:

1. Magical stadium opener against Air Force (close game, win, so many feelings of hope and turning the page from the Metrodome era)
2. Max Shortell leading the Gophers over Syracuse just as people were starting to believe in Jerry Kill. Great game. Great atmophere.
3. 2009 Cal - Cal was a top 10 team and it was the first opportunity to see the stadium in a sun splashed brilliant day. Decker puts on a clinic and Gophers keep it close all day before finally losing in a no shame game that seemed to be evidence of bigger days ahead.
4. Michigan State's first visit to TCF. Halloween. Fluke TD helps win a really fun game with a great atmosphere
5. Ohio State in the snow. For a while, Jerry Kill's best year at Minnesota looked like it was going to have its signature win. Great game. Snow.
6. TCU Thursday night opener. Great atmosphere. Electric. Great game, but a loss.
7. The Iowa trio: Two unexpected wins and the Maxx Williams show in a blowout make it impossible to pick which of the three were more fun.

Again, no particular order, but the big win over Penn State gets honorable mention. The stadium was rocking that day too.

On the other hand, I think brutal losses like South Dakota, New Mexico State, etc. and even an ugly win in the first year of the stadium over South Dakota State have combined to wear on the bandwagon ticket buying public. Those are the types of games that make it harder to drag one's self back to the stadium to watch another game. Brewster was a big setback, and so was Jerry Kill's health issues and retirement.

I thought the article was good and I was glad to see that the scholarship seating fiasco was given its rightful place as a massive mistake that is still being felt in terms of ticket sales. For some reason, this major issue is often left out of ticket-sales oriented articles about TCF Bank Stadium.

People have begun to raise hopes a bit for the Fleck era and depending how the season goes there could be a big difference in atmosphere and attendance between SDSU and GSU early, and later games like PSU if the team can ride a lightning bolt this season and build the momentum that many of us think is possible.

Chip has always been the most fair journalist in the Twin Cities when it comes to Gopher football. When he's critical, he's usually spot on & he does it in a non-snarky way.

The stadium has had its moments....just not enough. And he's right that that with some wins, more will happen, both moments & fans at the game.

And always remember....Tim Brewster's winning pct. against Mark Dantonio: 1.000

The 2012 game against Syracuse was a fantastic evening. I think it was the only sellout game of the season. I remember the students going crazy when Gangnam Style was played in the 4th.

The problem with the stadium is the atmosphere.
1) when it isn't full, there isn't much life or energy
2) GOD AWFUL PA guy talking non stop all game long, and a lot of pathetic attempts by the PA guy to liven up the crowd. Go to any big time college football stadium, you aren't going to hear PA guy involved in cheers. It's bush league and contrived and ruins the atmosphere. Not to mention CONSTANT commercials and introduction of people on the sidelines that nobody cares about. Stop talking! Nobody goes to a college football team to hear jamie talk. NO ONE
3) Lack of exciting teams - even our good teams have mainly been RUTM and sound defense. It's not exciting.

1 and 3 might be solved this year. Mark, for the love of God, can you take a look at changing #2?

The problem with the stadium is the atmosphere.
1) when it isn't full, there isn't much life or energy
2) GOD AWFUL PA guy talking non stop all game long, and a lot of pathetic attempts by the PA guy to liven up the crowd. Go to any big time college football stadium, you aren't going to hear PA guy involved in cheers. It's bush league and contrived and ruins the atmosphere. Not to mention CONSTANT commercials and introduction of people on the sidelines that nobody cares about. Stop talking! Nobody goes to a college football team to hear jamie talk. NO ONE
3) Lack of exciting teams - even our good teams have mainly been RUTM and sound defense. It's not exciting.

1 and 3 might be solved this year. Mark, for the love of God, can you take a look at changing #2?

I think the PA guy does just fine...

yep, have no problem with the PA guy. And even if we disagree - are you saying he has an effect on attendance or harms atmosphere? If so, I double disagree. I attend my share of away games and our PA guy is just fine.

I'm on your side on this one, Section2....can't stand the P.A. guy.

yep, have no problem with the PA guy. And even if we disagree - are you saying he has an effect on attendance or harms atmosphere? If so, I double disagree. I attend my share of away games and our PA guy is just fine.

Yep, agree as well. He's fine. Also am I imagining it...he's done a pretty good Homer Simpson imitation from time to time, right?

I'm in neutral camp for PA guy, never really noticed

hopefully it isn't like a missing pixel on a screen and once you notice drives you nuts

Atmosphere. Can you share any other big time program that has a PA guy who's as big of a part of the atmosphere?

It is pretty similar at all away games. So... how about "all of them"? And, most games (like others have said) I actually don't even notice him so I see it as a tiny part of the atmosphere, at best. I wonder if you are upset with the things he can't control, like all the in game promotions... farm family of the week, Case IH red zone, etc. Sure, I wish there was a lot less of that but I don't blame the guy that is instructed to do it.

Chip has always been the most fair journalist in the Twin Cities when it comes to Gopher football. When he's critical, he's usually spot on & he does it in a non-snarky way.

The stadium has had its moments....just not enough. And he's right that that with some wins, more will happen, both moments & fans at the game.

And always remember....Tim Brewster's winning pct. against Mark Dantonio: 1.000

I wouldn't just say he's the most fair.
He may be the only REAL college football writer in this town who understands college football.

Atmosphere. Can you share any other big time program that has a PA guy who's as big of a part of the atmosphere?

I don't know, the FIRST AND 10 WIIIISCONSIN PA was pretty annoying

I'm not annoyed by the PA guy. Last Vikings game I went to a few years back, it was obnoxious. Every timeout they had some fake news/media show, and it was nuts. Constant noise during every timeout. That was Metrodome days yet.

T-Wolves games are like that.

No room to let things breathe. Just constant noise and promotions.

It's a sign of the times. People have no attention spans so they fill every....single....moment...with non stop ads and talking. It does get on my nerves A LOT. But I don't blame the PA guy for it.

Also, I've been to all B1G stadiums except Nebraska, MSU, Rutgers and Maryland and I don't notice our PA guy being much different than any others.

It's a sign of the times. People have no attention spans so they fill every....single....moment...with non stop ads and talking. It does get on my nerves A LOT. But I don't blame the PA guy for it.

Also, I've been to all B1G stadiums except Nebraska, MSU, Rutgers and Maryland and I don't notice our PA guy being much different than any others.

I don't think the issue is that people's attention spans are short.

It is they want your attention the entire time.

I don't know, the FIRST AND 10 WIIIISCONSIN PA was pretty annoying

I was more annoyed by the cows behind me who repeated it. No where NEAR "and that's ANOTHER! GOLDEN GOOPPHHHEEEEERRRRR" when we're down 21 points to South Dakota and finally get a first down.

And absolutely not an example of the PA guy trying to lead the crowd in cheers. It's the most embarrassing thing I"ve ever seen. "Hey fans! It's time for the Ski U Mah Cheer! When I say Ski, then refer to your video board to see which section you're in, and if that is the appropriate section, you yell Ski!!"

I've been to Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, Northwestern, Nebraska, and numerous non conference games.

There is nothing wrong with out PA guy.

I was more annoyed by the cows behind me who repeated it. No where NEAR "and that's ANOTHER! GOLDEN GOOPPHHHEEEEERRRRR" when we're down 21 points to South Dakota and finally get a first down.

And absolutely not an example of the PA guy trying to lead the crowd in cheers. It's the most embarrassing thing I"ve ever seen. "Hey fans! It's time for the Ski U Mah Cheer! When I say Ski, then refer to your video board to see which section you're in, and if that is the appropriate section, you yell Ski!!"

Wow, that must have REALLY got under your skin considering your first example was 9 years ago! And, this debate seems to come up yearly on the first down thing and every time it does, the majority say they like it and usually question "why would we get rid of one of the few things the crowd interacts with?"

As far as your second paragraph, I believe they have again discontinued the "Ski U Mah" chant again, no? And, even if not, as I suspected... you are holding the PA announcer responsible for things he had been instructed to do.

After all is said and done, it is pretty standard stuff found in other B1G stadiums and at all D1 football games.

This reads like you've only encountered one PA announcer ever in life ...

For a 10-year-old stadium, the Bank sure has a lot of history already it seems like. The 2010 Vikings game, the Vikings temporary stay, the Loons temporary stay, the Wild Stadium Series and even Gopher hockey. It's pretty awesome how many moments have been there.

As for the Gophers atmosphere, I think it's the multiple factors brought up here. The results from the 2009-2011 seasons, the ticket prices, along with more people in general just watching games at home nation-wide. I think vs Syracuse in 2012 and TCU in 2015 were signs, though. When there is hype, and a good program trajectory, the place can get rocking. Build that up to be consistent and the atmosphere should be in good shape.

I think this says more about the fans than about the PA guy.

Wow, that must have REALLY got under your skin considering your first example was 9 years ago! And, this debate seems to come up yearly on the first down thing and every time it does, the majority say they like it and usually question "why would we get rid of one of the few things the crowd interacts with?"

As far as your second paragraph, I believe they have again discontinued the "Ski U Mah" chant again, no? And, even if not, as I suspected... you are holding the PA announcer responsible for things he had been instructed to do.

After all is said and done, it is pretty standard stuff found in other B1G stadiums and at all D1 football games.

That was the most egregious example. The first down call alone does not bother me. If the PA guy was limited to that, and not non stop reading of messages and introduction of 50 people on the sidelines, I think it would be fine.

PA guy's job. Give the basic information of the results of a play. Not the PA guys' job: dominate the atmosphere.
Atmosphere of the stadium should be driven by the student section and the band. I'd rather have our new bandleader lead the charge on finding ways to improve the atmosphere. And things that seem to work fine such as the Lion King holding up the kids, can be done WITHOUT PA guy telling them to do it. People know by now. Kiss cam doesn't need PA guy. 50% less PA guy.

Thus concludes my annual crusade to reduce the influence of PA guy. I thank you for your attention.

I think this says more about the fans than about the PA guy.

Traditions and cool things that teams do in stadiums, Go Green Go White, I O W A, We are Penn St: You know what didn't start those traditions? a PA announcer.

I would add that they stopped doing that particular chant, and now they do the Ski U Mah as a part of another cheer, driven by the cheerleaders and student section and funny, it now WORKS.

Last edited:

This reads like you've only encountered one PA announcer ever in life ...

Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn St, Nebraska, Northwestern, Michigan St. NW PA guy is a little annoying with his, first down for NOOOOORRRTHwesternnnnnn (followed by obnoxious Penn St ripoff cougar growl). The rest are understated and old school, and.... big time. It's fine if you don't want to be big time. I do.

Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn St, Nebraska, Northwestern, Michigan St. NW PA guy is a little annoying with his, first down for NOOOOORRRTHwesternnnnnn (followed by obnoxious Penn St ripoff cougar growl). The rest are understated and old school, and.... big time. It's fine if you don't want to be big time. I do.

I've been to some of those places .... you think there is a difference?

Top Bottom