Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Meeting with athletic department employee

So I was randomly contacted to meet with an employee of the athletic department. I do have season tickets in multiple sports (volleyball, mens basketball, womens gymnastics), so maybe that is why. I'm not entirely sure.

We met for coffee (he paid!) and talked about all things Gopher sports, from my perspective. He was really prepared, knew a lot about the various teams and was extremely excited about the direction of the programs on campus.

I told him what I really thought about fan engagement, game day experiences, etc. and for the most part it was well received and he agreed they have a long ways to go with some things. They are trying to do more of this so if they reach out to you, I recommend meeting with them.

Anyway, wasn't sure where to post this but it was nice to have them reach out to meet with me and feel like I'm being heard.
    F wisconsin and I do really hate Iowa.

That's really good to hear.
    Glad they are getting out on the ground level to hear what people are thinking.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    So I was randomly contacted to meet with an employee of the athletic department. I do have season tickets in multiple sports (volleyball, mens basketball, womens gymnastics), so maybe that is why. I'm not entirely sure.

We met for coffee (he paid!) and talked about all things Gopher sports, from my perspective. He was really prepared, knew a lot about the various teams and was extremely excited about the direction of the programs on campus.

I told him what I really thought about fan engagement, game day experiences, etc. and for the most part it was well received and he agreed they have a long ways to go with some things. They are trying to do more of this so if they reach out to you, I recommend meeting with them.

Anyway, wasn't sure where to post this but it was nice to have them reach out to meet with me and feel like I'm being heard.
    As long as this is a confession time; I met with Mark Coyle last year. My takeaway was the same as yours. He was well-prepared, enthusiastic, and liked the tragectory of the programs. One small thing he mentioned; he is looking for a family atmosphere at games (was concerned about aging Gopher fans). He asked about my suggestions as to what they could do. I gave him a few ideas and he seemed genuinely interested. Overall, I left our meeting with much more respect for Gopher Football and the U of M in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescooter View Post
    As long as this is a confession time; I met with Mark Coyle last year. My takeaway was the same as yours. He was well-prepared, enthusiastic, and liked the tragectory of the programs. One small thing he mentioned; he is looking for a family atmosphere at games (was concerned about aging Gopher fans). He asked about my suggestions as to what they could do. I gave him a few ideas and he seemed genuinely interested. Overall, I left our meeting with much more respect for Gopher Football and the U of M in general.
    I'm glad to hear he's trying to get more families to games. I always thought the "Gopher fans all have gray hair" thing was overblown and not much different from other colleges. But that was when Williams Arena was full (or more full) in the 1990s and early 2000s and in the early years of TCF Bank Stadium. I do see a much higher percentage of gray hair now.

Part of this is caught up in the success (or lack thereof) of the teams and the broader attendance issues. But if Coyle doesn't think the high cost of tickets is an issue for families, it will never get fixed.

I was contacted like that too but I kinda thought it was a play for additional donations...

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    I was contacted like that too but I kinda thought it was a play for additional donations...
    He did mention the Brick campaign and sent info on it in a follow-up email but there was no pressure/mention of that kind of thing prior to him mentioning that campaign. Really low-key approach for donations, if that was the goal.

The long long period of bad Gopher football has created that massive age gap. We have an old section of fans that remember when the program was great then we have the huge gap from then to the Mason years where the program was a joke for the most part and lost a huge chunk of potential fans. Compounding all that is the current problem of getting butts in the seats facing everyone these days.

But it is great to hear they are getting out and talking to fans to try and do what they can to address the issues.

He did mention the Brick campaign and sent info on it in a follow-up email but there was no pressure/mention of that kind of thing prior to him mentioning that campaign. Really low-key approach for donations, if that was the goal.
    Kinda wish I had answered the call then

I was all Oh man they just want money. and moved on.

Loved to finish reading your sincere post and then get to your footer — "F wisconsin" lmao

I met with Teague way back when. He seemed prepared, enthusiastic, etc but we all know how that turned out.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I had the same style meeting this past spring. I felt it was a very good thing for them to be doing. Great discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Always Be Closing. It’s how things get done. I like it.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Always Be Closing. It’s how things get done. I like it.
    I had no issue with it. Wasn't pushy or annoying about it. In fact, I think his overall attitude made me much more likely to donate/get a brick/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    The long long period of bad Gopher football has created that massive age gap. We have an old section of fans that remember when the program was great then we have the huge gap from then to the Mason years where the program was a joke for the most part and lost a huge chunk of potential fans. Compounding all that is the current problem of getting butts in the seats facing everyone these days.

But it is great to hear they are getting out and talking to fans to try and do what they can to address the issues.
    I have made this point so many times.

I'm 33. There is a good amount of fans my age and younger. Mason had some good teams in my formative (high school/college) years and then Brewster LOL but Kill stabilized it and Fleck has had some success.

People a few years older than me and into their mid-50s had very little to cheer for. Older folks are around but as this employee so nicely put it they will "retire" from season tickets so they need to add more somehow.

They are working on it. And I think they realize the only way to really add ticket holders and fans is to win but they are doing what they can for now.

The bottom line is you have to have your men's football and basketball at least in the mix for conference championships every few years- and heaven forbid actually win a title in either sport once every 10 years. We have not done this for over 50 years. Whatever you have to do to make that happen, do it.

It's great we are very competitive in virtually every non FB/BB program but the the most part, people really don't care that much.
    Please consider donating to this site; especially if you are a frequent poster.