prepare for disappointment

The time is now. We have lost many Gopher fans since the last Conference championship. We do not have unlimited patience or lifespan.

No one said otherwise. You said easiest possible. With Penn State on there, that's wrong.

You are incorrect.

It may very well prove that Penn State, Indiana, and Rutgers are the three worst teams in the East this year. Unlikely, but possible. That would make it the easiest possible schedule.

It also may very well prove that Penn State, Indiana, and Rutgers are the three best teams in the East this year. Unlikely, but possible. That would make it the toughest possible schedule.

You simply can't dispute any of that.

It's tough for me to understand how so many here get this so wrong. 180degrees wrong.

This *IS* and absolutely has been a "down to the studs" renovation project. Fleck had to rip out the foundation, and pour a new concrete slab.

You just don't know jack squat, if you really think otherwise.

Most things are tough for you to understand. When it comes to most your takes, the "so many here" are not the ones who are wrong.

The time is now. We have lost many Gopher fans since the last Conference championship. We do not have unlimited patience or lifespan.

Exactly. Fleck needs to win now.

Attendance needs a big boost. Now! 2019! Not next year, the year after that or........... So does recruiting in order to be in the mix for the top HS players.

We paid Kill and staff peanuts compared to Fleck and crew. Its time we see the return on our investment.

What is your point?

The fact is that we play Penn St this season, which is a Wisconsin/Iowa level program at worst. Therefore it's impossible that we got the easiest crossover slate that ever could be assigned by the conference.

I could point out the senselessness of your obsession, but, after reading the rest of your posts on this thread, I've decided that you're just not worth my time.

In 2016 we had possibly the best secondary in my lifetime for the gophers- Travis, Winfield, and Myrick starting with Hardin getting most of the starts at the other corner.

You're insane if you think that secondary is better than Travis, Boddy-Calhoun, Murray.

It's tough for me to understand how so many here get this so wrong. 180degrees wrong.

This *IS* and absolutely has been a "down to the studs" renovation project. Fleck had to rip out the foundation, and pour a new concrete slab.

You just don't know jack squat, if you really think otherwise.

Talking nonsense again. Just like 99.99% of your posts.

So Fleck has less unimpressive win points because he lost to some bad teams instead of beating them by narrow margins?

Well, in year 1 and 2 Fleck lost about half of his games.

But so far, he has a very high ratio of large margin wins and impressive wins.

I haven't developed a scale for impressive wins yet. Maybe soon.

Well, in year 1 and 2 Fleck lost about half of his games.

But so far, he has a very high ratio of large margin wins and impressive wins.

I haven't developed a scale for impressive wins yet. Maybe soon.

But you would agree that avoiding losses against unimpressive teams is much more important than avoiding close wins against unimpressive teams, right? If we play 5 bad teams, I'd much rather beat all five by one point on last minute field goals than win four by blowouts and lose the fifth.

But you would agree that avoiding losses against unimpressive teams is much more important than avoiding close wins against unimpressive teams, right? If we play 5 bad teams, I'd much rather beat all five by one point on last minute field goals than win four by blowouts and lose the fifth.

Depends on who the coach is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll just say this:

In the end, no matter what the Gophers' record is, there will be some fans who think they underachieved, some who think they met expectations, and some who think they exceeded expectations. there is no "one-size fits all" category for fans. except for exceptional situations, you will never have 100% of fans, or even close, agreeing on anything.

And, you will also have disagreements on individual games. There will be fans who say the Gophers "absolutely" should have won a game that ended up as a loss. Others will disagree. There will be fans who criticize a close victory as not impressive - and other fans who say a win is a win, no matter the margin.

so, to be fair, if you are making a statement about what you think the Gophers' record will be - or should be - that is your personal statement. You do not speak for any other fans or group of fans. In this matter, each fan stands alone. Now, some fans may happen to agree on a certain point - maybe even a majority of fans - but you still do not speak for all fans.

I could point out the senselessness of your obsession, but, after reading the rest of your posts on this thread, I've decided that you're just not worth my time.

Amen

In 2016 we had possibly the best secondary in my lifetime for the gophers- Travis, Winfield, and Myrick starting with Hardin getting most of the starts at the other corner.

You're insane if you think that secondary is better than Travis, Boddy-Calhoun, Murray.

Certainly a valid opinion but no need to be a d!ck. I always thought AJ was over-rated thus AW was a major upgrade. Hardin played great but unfortunately his legal issues precluded him from playing home games. BBC has been more successful after college than I expected though- had plenty of times where he was burned in college- but had enough great plays for most to remember that.

This is exactly the point the OP is trying to make, people get so caught up in the number of wins, but there is more to it then that.

Yes winning is important, yes the record means something, but there absolutely are scenarios that exist where a 7-5 season this year could still be progress. There are also scenarios that exist where 7-5 would be a major disappointment. Until the teams all take the field and start playing games the reality is that we are all just guessing on how good a team should or should not be.

All you have to do is look at all the pre-season prognostications for the West to understand that this could be a very chaotic year.
There really isn't much more to it than winning. With this schedule, and the returning talent, there's no excuse for anything less than eight wins. Kill won eight in year three, with way less talent on offense and a tougher conference slate. We have a team that's capable, our cross over schedule as easy as it can get. We get Nebby, PSU, and Wisco at home, and not only that were set up nicely for 2020 and 2021 as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Depends on who the coach is, and what are we on the news for?

There really isn't much more to it than winning. With this schedule, and the returning talent, there's no excuse for anything less than eight wins. Kill won eight in year three, with way less talent on offense and a tougher conference slate. We have a team that's capable, our cross over schedule as easy as it can get. We get Nebby, PSU, and Wisco at home, and not only that were set up nicely for 2020 and 2021 as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If Minnesota has more conference wins than the other six teams, they should win the West.

The more I see people poo poo on a 9 win season as "unimpressive", the more I feel like we should consider 9 wins "not good enough" going forward.

9 wins is always fun no matter how you get there, especially with the Gophers history. However, I would say 9 wins this year would probably be more impressive than in 2016 just because of how much better the west is now. Washington St was the only team they beat in 2016 that had an above .500 record during the regular season.

9 wins is always fun no matter how you get there, especially with the Gophers history. However, I would say 9 wins this year would probably be more impressive than in 2016 just because of how much better the west is now. Washington St was the only team they beat in 2016 that had an above .500 record during the regular season.

9 regular season wins would make this season better than 2016
8 regular season wins would make it about equal.
7 would make it worse.

Bowl games are important, but not nearly as important as the regular season.
They might even be more fun, but in building consistency as a program it’s all about regular season wins.

I’m looking forward to discussing unimpressive wins this year. I’m sure there will be several.

Bump.

Ga Southern Sagarin is about 104.
Rutgers in 2016 was 153

Teams currently ranked around 150.
Portland St.
William and Mary
Austin Peay

2016 Opponents about the same or worse than GA Southern
2016 Maryland at Maryland 88
2016 Illinois at Illinois 111