Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 177
  1. #1

    Default prepare for disappointment

    and i don't mean, "because we're minnesota after all!"

    i am optimistic about the direction of the team.

    what i mean is that the team is still young. the system is still not fully implemented. upsets happen to even the best of teams.

    there's going to be at least one really disappointing loss. a loss that should have been a win. a loss that looks bad on paper.

    but if you look at last season with 20/20 hindsight, the losses to illinois and maryland don't sting as bad.

    and when those losses come, the posters who only come out after a disappointing loss will be starting threads and trolling. keep your perspective. for a lot of teams with minnesota's potential, having five losses at the end of the year could be a real disappointment. for the gophers i think it could be real progress.
    We have a philosophical difference on what constitutes a law


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,575
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtenchamps1899 View Post
    and i don't mean, "because we're minnesota after all!"

    i am optimistic about the direction of the team.

    what i mean is that the team is still young. the system is still not fully implemented. upsets happen to even the best of teams.

    there's going to be at least one really disappointing loss. a loss that should have been a win. a loss that looks bad on paper.

    but if you look at last season with 20/20 hindsight, the losses to illinois and maryland don't sting as bad.

    and when those losses come, the posters who only come out after a disappointing loss will be starting threads and trolling. keep your perspective. for a lot of teams with minnesota's potential, having five losses at the end of the year could be a real disappointment. for the gophers i think it could be real progress.
    7-5 real progress?

    Respectfully, I'm not buying that. 8-4, above .500 in the Big Ten? Sure.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtenchamps1899 View Post
    and i don't mean, "because we're minnesota after all!"

    i am optimistic about the direction of the team.

    what i mean is that the team is still young. the system is still not fully implemented. upsets happen to even the best of teams.

    there's going to be at least one really disappointing loss. a loss that should have been a win. a loss that looks bad on paper.

    but if you look at last season with 20/20 hindsight, the losses to illinois and maryland don't sting as bad.

    and when those losses come, the posters who only come out after a disappointing loss will be starting threads and trolling. keep your perspective. for a lot of teams with minnesota's potential, having five losses at the end of the year could be a real disappointment. for the gophers i think it could be real progress.
    Well... I guess you could say it's "optimistic" to predict the Gophers will have one more regular season win than last they had last year. You're not exactly uber-bullish on their prospects, but one more win is (technically) an improvement.

    But here's a (sincere, respectful) question for you and all the other posters here who worry about "disappointment": what's your reaction going to be if the team happened to finish, say, 3-9? Would you then be forced to deal with the dreaded "disappointment"? And if so, would that mean that you yourself failed to "prepare for disappointment" properly?

    Maybe you had better recalibrate your expectations. You could be setting yourself up for... who knows what?
    Last edited by RememberMurray; 08-23-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtenchamps1899 View Post
    the system is still not fully implemented.
    What part isn't implemented yet? I hope they have the defense in. Things would be awful without a defense.

    I have predicted 8-4 all along. Anything worse than that would be a disappointment to me. Anything better would be a pleasant surprise. With this schedule, with what returns on this team, 8-4 is a reasonable expectation in my opinion.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    7-5 real progress?

    Respectfully, I'm not buying that. 8-4, above .500 in the Big Ten? Sure.
    This is exactly the point the OP is trying to make, people get so caught up in the number of wins, but there is more to it then that.

    Yes winning is important, yes the record means something, but there absolutely are scenarios that exist where a 7-5 season this year could still be progress. There are also scenarios that exist where 7-5 would be a major disappointment. Until the teams all take the field and start playing games the reality is that we are all just guessing on how good a team should or should not be.

    All you have to do is look at all the pre-season prognostications for the West to understand that this could be a very chaotic year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Anoka County via the Iron Range
    Posts
    2,170
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtenchamps1899 View Post
    and i don't mean, "because we're minnesota after all!"

    i am optimistic about the direction of the team.

    what i mean is that the team is still young. the system is still not fully implemented. upsets happen to even the best of teams.

    there's going to be at least one really disappointing loss. a loss that should have been a win. a loss that looks bad on paper.

    but if you look at last season with 20/20 hindsight, the losses to illinois and maryland don't sting as bad.

    and when those losses come, the posters who only come out after a disappointing loss will be starting threads and trolling. keep your perspective. for a lot of teams with minnesota's potential, having five losses at the end of the year could be a real disappointment. for the gophers i think it could be real progress.
    Geeze. There is one at EVERY party. (see title of post)
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    This is exactly the point the OP is trying to make, people get so caught up in the number of wins, but there is more to it then that.

    Yes winning is important, yes the record means something, but there absolutely are scenarios that exist where a 7-5 season this year could still be progress. There are also scenarios that exist where 7-5 would be a major disappointment. Until the teams all take the field and start playing games the reality is that we are all just guessing on how good a team should or should not be.

    All you have to do is look at all the pre-season prognostications for the West to understand that this could be a very chaotic year.
    Yes. Sports fans get "caught up" in the wins and losses thing. Maybe we should do away with standings based on wins and losses, and instead use some other metric...?

    And, yes; this season (like all seasons) is looking difficult to predict in any precise way.

    So the harsh reality is: my team may or may not win many games, and I have no reliable way to know, in advance, how they will perform.

    Sigh. Nothing buy unsolvable problems, everywhere we look.

    I think I need a new hobby...
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    What part isn't implemented yet? I hope they have the defense in. Things would be awful without a defense.

    I have predicted 8-4 all along. Anything worse than that would be a disappointment to me. Anything better would be a pleasant surprise. With this schedule, with what returns on this team, 8-4 is a reasonable expectation in my opinion.
    I to am in the 8-4 camp, but lets say we go 7-5, keep the axe or get Floyd, don't have embarrassing losses (maryland, neb, illinois) I'll consider it progress, not as much as I'd like, but I won't be WE NEED TO FIRE FLECK RIGHT NOW, TRACY CLAEYS GOT US 9 WINS IN 2016 WE'RE GOING BACKWARDS

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salzie View Post
    I to am in the 8-4 camp, but lets say we go 7-5, keep the axe or get Floyd, don't have embarrassing losses (maryland, neb, illinois) I'll consider it progress, not as much as I'd like, but I won't be WE NEED TO FIRE FLECK RIGHT NOW, TRACY CLAEYS GOT US 9 WINS IN 2016 WE'RE GOING BACKWARDS
    Has anyone, ever, said the part in bold?
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  10. #10

    Default

    too many people in the 8-4 camp

    I want to start the camp that is 9-3!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Has anyone, ever, said the part in bold?

    Most likely yes, somewhere in the world. Not sure on here, was a bit hyperbole.

  12. #12

    Default

    That was more the case last year than this year ... wasn't disappointed last year.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,510

    Default

    This is a year of opportunity. We have several really talented “knowns” on the roster that aren’t going to be here next year. Fourth most experienced team in America. We have a favorable schedule with crossovers and home games. Opponents are in rebuilding mode. The best predictive analytics have us at 8.5 regular season wins. I’m going to hang on to my 8 win expectation and hope for more.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleB View Post
    too many people in the 8-4 camp

    I want to start the camp that is 9-3
    !
    I'll camp with you at 9-3. But I don't sleep on the ground anymore. I need a cot.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Yes. Sports fans get "caught up" in the wins and losses thing. Maybe we should do away with standings based on wins and losses, and instead use some other metric...?

    And, yes; this season (like all seasons) is looking difficult to predict in any precise way.

    So the harsh reality is: my team may or may not win many games, and I have no reliable way to know, in advance, how they will perform.

    Sigh. Nothing buy unsolvable problems, everywhere we look.

    I think I need a new hobby...
    Maybe we could ask to not keep score an then use the most optimistic team stat available at the end of the season to define success.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •