Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    I'm just trying to have a discussion. If you are not up to that then we can't have much of a dialogue. All I get from you is I hate the Badgers. Yeah!
    Well, I won’t argue with you. This is an argument about predictions and then retrospectively saying oh yeah, totally saw that coming.

Coan was recruited by the likes of Michigan, Miami, Nebraska, many others. I’d guess many fans were pining for him to replace an inconsistent Alex and then when he finally did play...weren’t too thrilled? What was the reaction in Mad Town?

Tend to agree with the revisionist history. Our QB was coming off a near perfect game against Miami in our bowl game. Who knew he would become concussed early and often! His back-up was a freshman Coan! We had no Quintez Cephus scandal, Our O-line was very good and experienced. Our defense though young had lost the entire D-line to injury. depth there was bad. We were forced to play a walk-on frosh, and a converted 3rd string o-lineman. Graduation, youth, injuries. A #4 preseason ranking. It was bound to happen. Just hope your QB situation does not get to where we were last year. It makes for a long season. One injury there could spell disaster from a W-L record for the Gophs, However the rest of the team could be better by a lot!
    We also lost our opening day QB to injury for 1/3 the year, our top 2 RBs played a total of 3 games, and arguably our best defensive and ST player in the first B1G game last year.

Tend to agree with the revisionist history. Our QB was coming off a near perfect game against Miami in our bowl game. Who knew he would become concussed early and often! His back-up was a freshman Coan! We had no Quintez Cephus scandal, Our O-line was very good and experienced. Our defense though young had lost the entire D-line to injury. depth there was bad. We were forced to play a walk-on frosh, and a converted 3rd string o-lineman. Graduation, youth, injuries. A #4 preseason ranking. It was bound to happen. Just hope your QB situation does not get to where we were last year. It makes for a long season. One injury there could spell disaster from a W-L record for the Gophs, However the rest of the team could be better by a lot!
    MN has definitely felt this pain before in the last decade or so. Injuries in key defensive positions (like DL) causing underdeveloped players into starting roles. QBs playing through injuries resulting in sub-par play. Scandals resulting in loss of key players.
    Ski-U-Mah is Native American for "we're in a rebuilding year"

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    I agree with him on the QB situation. We need Tanner to be a bit better than last year, but just as importantly, stay healthy!!
    The quarterback thing is overblown. Of course we would be worse if we lost our starting quarterback. Every single team in the country would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    Dave Revsine is known to use his salad fork on his main course.
    I heard he drank beer out of a wine glass during the same meal!!!
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    I heard that he blew his nose with a cloth napkin at an Olive Garden!!¡!

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    I heard that he blew his nose with a cloth napkin at an Olive Garden!!¡!

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Well, I won’t argue with you. This is an argument about predictions and then retrospectively saying oh yeah, totally saw that coming.

Coan was recruited by the likes of Michigan, Miami, Nebraska, many others. I’d guess many fans were pining for him to replace an inconsistent Alex and then when he finally did play...weren’t too thrilled? What was the reaction in Mad Town?
    Jack was a 3 -star recruit. He was a Freshman and had no experience. He carried those offers but it was not a recruiting war to say the least. We recruited Graham Mertz to be the next coming this year. It looks as though Coan has staved off Mertz to start the season. By all accounts he is doing well, however when the bullets start flying we will know. When Coan started playing, the defense was already depleted. He was not ready to be the man when his opportunity came. He was put in the role of a game manager but we needed the QB to be more. Teams stacking the box to stop Taylor hopefully is over.

Jack was a 3 -star recruit. He was a Freshman and had no experience. He carried those offers but it was not a recruiting war to say the least. We recruited Graham Mertz to be the next coming this year. It looks as though Coan has staved off Mertz to start the season. By all accounts he is doing well, however when the bullets start flying we will know. When Coan started playing, the defense was already depleted. He was not ready to be the man when his opportunity came. He was put in the role of a game manager but we needed the QB to be more. Teams stacking the box to stop Taylor hopefully is over.
    Hmm, thanks for the update.

Depth issues plague every team, every year. Finally bit ya.

totally understand. Ask Rod Smith what its like to run against 8-9 in the box for several years. Every team can say injuries have a part the weird thing is that Wisconsin (chryst) couldnt get enough depth last year and which I think could be the beginning of the end in Mad Town.

I'm just trying to have a discussion. If you are not up to that then we can't have much of a dialogue. All I get from you is I hate the Badgers. Yeah!
    Well, I don't really hate the Badgers (but, I didn't grow up here). To me they are just like any other team who has dominated my chosen team over recent history. I want the Gophers to beat them in order to even the ledger a bit but I don't want the Gophers to beat them any more than I want the Gophers to beat teams like Michigan, Ohio State, or even Iowa (my undergraduate alma mater). Conversely, I don't mind losing to a team like Purdue or Illinois once in awhile because I figure they owe us one.

The adverse circumstances you are describing about last year's Wisconsin team happen to most teams sooner or later. Unless you have one of the most elite teams in the nation, you can expect a down year here and there. Even Ohio State had a 6-7 record in 2011. The Wisconsin football program has done a remarkable job over the last 25 years or so but they've had multiple down years in that stretch. There's also no guarantee that period of sustained success continues indefinitely. See Nebraska (unranked in 9 of the last 13 years).