Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dave Revsine BTN West preview

I caught Dave Revsine on the Sirius radio program "Off Campus with Mark Packer" today. Revsine is fresh off the BTN tour of the Big Ten football camps. It was an interesting thing to listen to, he opened up a little more than I suppose he is comfortable doing when on the BTN.
    I'll recap the West the best that I can remember.

Wisconsin: He said he was impressed with UW, and that they are vastly improved from what he saw last year, particularly along the defensive front and at QB. He said they could tell UW would struggle last year when they saw them in August, but this team looks much better.

Nebraska: Also impressed with Nebraska. He made it sound like he thought the West would come down to UW and Nebraska. Said Nebraska looked really good on offense, and that Martinez looked like the best QB of all of the BT teams. Thought their defense was behind the offense, and that they would need to win high scoring games.

Minnesota: He started by saying that Minnesota would have no shot at the West if they had UW's crossover schedule, but missing UM, OSU, and MSU would give them a chance. He said that the WR and RB groups were really strong, but was concerned about the QB room. Mentioned there is nothing behind TM. Also was concerned about the defensive front. Seemed a little down on Minnesota.

Iowa and Northwestern: Said both teams are really strong on defense, but the O was concerning for both teams. Run game a concern for Iowa, and QB a concern for the cats. Seemed a little down on these teams too.

Illinois: Mentioned they are improved, but that they were the only West team he sees with no shot at the division. Getting bowl eligible would be a realistic goal.

I missed Purdue.

Keep in mind these guys only saw each team for a day, but that is more than just about anyone else in the country can say.

Quote Originally Posted by cfb120 View Post
    He said they could tell UW would struggle last year
    Sure he did

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...west/37236933/

Wisconsin...has a team that Revsine thinks could be its best yet under coach Paul Chryst.

https://twitter.com/btndaverevsine/s...684755456?s=21

“Daniel Faelele. Just your average, run of the mill 400 pounder. @GopherFootball impressive along both lines of scrimmage today. This will be a very competitive team in the West.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MinneStoa View Post

Great work MinneStoa! That is literally too funny!!!! Love it!

I think it was Dinardo last year who I recall warning about Wisconsin players reading their own headlines too much and needing to be careful about that. It was either him or Mason who repeatedly said that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is irrelevant but go over to the Badger board. They copied your exact summary ��

Yeah the bit about Wisconsin is revisionist history nonsense.

I don’t think he’s saying anything different than most people. He’s projecting quite a lot as we all are. NOBODY, not even the experts have any idea what’s going to happen this year. They have admitted it openly - most wide open race in recent history.

I agree with him on the QB situation. We need Tanner to be a bit better than last year, but just as importantly, stay healthy!!

I tried finding some clips of the 2018 Wisconsin and BTN West clips/previews from the guys and outside of player and coach interviews they appear to have been scrubbed out of existence....

Wisconsin had 4, maybe 5 All-Americans, consensus #1 team in the west and laid an enormous egg. Sure they had some questions on defense but everyone expected them to reload and the offense was supposed to be unstoppable.

Last edited by Pompous Elitist; 08-22-2019 at 11:21 PM.

LOL! This completely changes what I thought of the article. Just talking off the top of his head without real substance.

Thank you for pulling and calling him out!

Dave Revsine is known to use his salad fork on his main course.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Tend to agree with the revisionist history. Our QB was coming off a near perfect game against Miami in our bowl game. Who knew he would become concussed early and often! His back-up was a freshman Coan! We had no Quintez Cephus scandal, Our O-line was very good and experienced. Our defense though young had lost the entire D-line to injury. depth there was bad. We were forced to play a walk-on frosh, and a converted 3rd string o-lineman. Graduation, youth, injuries. A #4 preseason ranking. It was bound to happen. Just hope your QB situation does not get to where we were last year. It makes for a long season. One injury there could spell disaster from a W-L record for the Gophs, However the rest of the team could be better by a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    Tend to agree with the revisionist history. Our QB was coming off a near perfect game against Miami in our bowl game. Who knew he would become concussed early and often! His back-up was a freshman Coan! We had no Quintez Cephus scandal, Our O-line was very good and experienced. Our defense though young had lost the entire D-line to injury. depth there was bad. We were forced to play a walk-on frosh, and a converted 3rd string o-lineman. Graduation, youth, injuries. A #4 preseason ranking. It was bound to happen. Just hope your QB situation does not get to where we were last year. It makes for a long season. One injury there could spell disaster from a W-L record for the Gophs, However the rest of the team could be better by a lot!
    So with what they said last year, he largely just agrees with what most of the nation is saying it appears.
    If they really felt WIS was going to be a bit off last year, there would have been some hint of it. Chances are they may have saw it, but decided to err on the side of safety by going with the popular opinion.
    So in the end, Dave Revsine isn't going to upset the Big Ten apple cart with his opinion. He's going to largely agree with the masses until proven differently.

Then next year, he'll say, "when we visited X school, we were really impressed and really thought that team could surprise and win the West!"
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    Chryst played a player in concussion protocol vs BYU and Michigan? Seems like fans should be outraged. Coan was a relatively touted recruit and wasn’t ready/good. The defensive losses and underperformance was totally unpredictable or ignored by experts that put them in the CFP discussion? Maybe the guys are simply regressing to the mean like similar teams with similar (or more) talent- Iowa, MSU. Expectations had risen to ridiculous and unsustainable levels based on recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Chryst played a player in concussion protocol vs BYU and Michigan? Seems like fans should be outraged. Coan was a relatively touted recruit and wasn’t ready/good. The defensive losses and underperformance was totally unpredictable or ignored by experts that put them in the CFP discussion? Maybe the guys are simply regressing to the mean like similar teams with similar (or more) talent- Iowa, MSU. Expectations had risen to ridiculous and unsustainable levels based on recent history.
    I'm just trying to have a discussion. If you are not up to that then we can't have much of a dialogue. All I get from you is I hate the Badgers. Yeah!