Default Gophers' Pitino expects big man Curry back soon; reflects on summer with new team

per Marcus:

With summer practices and the foreign trip in the rearview mirror, Richard Pitino had a chance to reflect on how the 2019-20 Gophers basketball team compares so far to other squads that hes coached.

The Gophers went to their second NCAA tournament under Pitino last season, but he doesnt see much similarity between that team and this one.

Its not necessarily a bad thing. Theyre just different.

We kind of remind me a little bit of my (2014) NIT championship team, Pitino said on the Golden Gophers podcast Wednesday. I think that team was a pretty good offensive team.

One of key players on the U's 2017 NCAA tournament team was big man Eric Curry, who is expected to return this fall after getting pins removed from foot surgery in March.

"Thats the beauty of I think hell be able to jump right in once school starts," Pitino said. "Maybe not 100 percent, but well bring him along slowly. Very, very important that he has September and October where hes gaining momentum and gaining confidence on the basketball court."

On Currys recovery

Pitino: He got the pins taken out of his foot the other day. That was a relief for him. I dont know why to an extent, but I guess its something and its good. He needs like a healthy fall. Where he came back last year in the middle of the season. Thats hard to do. Now hes got the brace off the knee. He can just be confident mentally and physically. He'll be fine.

Much more here:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-p...eam/557756422/

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully is knee is good enough to avoid wearing that albatross of a brace from last season

The Golden Gopher Podcast for this week is with Pitino. Wonder if Marcus listened to that and summarized it for the paper.
    Pitino always does a great job with these interviews.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/268-i...hard-48290643/

If Pitino thinks that this team is similar to his first team, that's pretty good news. That team had 19 regular season wins and was one decent power forward away from a better record and a tournament berth. This team likely is stronger at that position but maybe not quite as good at point guard. The run down on Willis was very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by theczar View Post
    Hopefully is knee is good enough to avoid wearing that albatross of a brace from last season
    The article said he’s done wearing the brace.

I'd love to see Curry at 90% of his freshman ability! That would be key to moving this team forward.