Gophers' Pitino expects big man Curry back soon; reflects on summer with new team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

With summer practices and the foreign trip in the rearview mirror, Richard Pitino had a chance to reflect on how the 2019-20 Gophers basketball team compares so far to other squads that he’s coached.

The Gophers went to their second NCAA tournament under Pitino last season, but he doesn’t see much similarity between that team and this one.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing. They’re just different.

“We kind of remind me a little bit of my (2014) NIT championship team,” Pitino said on the Golden Gophers podcast Wednesday. “I think that team was a pretty good offensive team.”

One of key players on the U's 2017 NCAA tournament team was big man Eric Curry, who is expected to return this fall after getting pins removed from foot surgery in March.

"That’s the beauty of I think he’ll be able to jump right in once school starts," Pitino said. "Maybe not 100 percent, but we’ll bring him along slowly. Very, very important that he has September and October where he’s gaining momentum and gaining confidence on the basketball court."

On Curry’s recovery

Pitino: He got the pins taken out of his foot the other day. That was a relief for him. I don’t know why to an extent, but I guess it’s something and it’s good. He needs like a healthy fall. Where he came back last year in the middle of the season. That’s hard to do. Now he’s got the brace off the knee. He can just be confident mentally and physically. He'll be fine.

Much more here:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...n-reflects-on-summer-with-new-team/557756422/

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully is knee is good enough to avoid wearing that albatross of a brace from last season

If Pitino thinks that this team is similar to his first team, that's pretty good news. That team had 19 regular season wins and was one decent power forward away from a better record and a tournament berth. This team likely is stronger at that position but maybe not quite as good at point guard. The run down on Willis was very encouraging.

I'd love to see Curry at 90% of his freshman ability! That would be key to moving this team forward.

Top Bottom