City Pages on U: Start with basement expectations, realizing even those may be high

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pete:

To be a Minnesota Vikings fan is to enter each fall bloated with high expectations, only to watch them deflate by the time the snow begins to fly in earnest. To be a University of Minnesota Gophers fan is just the opposite.

The school last won a Big 10 football title in 1967. The subsequent half-century brought occasional moments in the sun, interspersed with elongated expanses of misery. Success was measured in bowl games named after oil change and tire shops, played in places like El Paso and Detroit.

This leaves Gophers fans knowing how to prepare: Start with basement expectations, realizing even those may be too high.

Yet this sentiment now appears embedded in the fan base. Last season brought the lowest attendance since 1992. Factor in no-shows, and the average was less than 23,000 a game – not even half of TCF Bank Stadium’s capacity. The program is tied for the biggest drop in major college attendance over the past three years.

Prospects appear poor again this season. Go to a map of the available seats, and nearly every section of the stadium is brimming with vacancies.

http://www.citypages.com/news/with-...to-halt-the-exodus-of-football-fans/557204971

Go Gophers!!

I gave up on City Pages a long time ago. There used to be a handful of writers that I'd read and some other very mixed results. ... but eventually City Pages is just a bunch of writers trying WAY too hard to manufacture attention / painfully flowery prose / plot lines, and generally not knowing much of anything about what they write.

I actually said something critical about City Pages a while back on another forum and someone replied to me noting the author of the linked article tweeted a screen shot of my comment with something to the effect of "LAMO lol". I'm not sure what the point was, but I thought it made my point nicely.

I gave up on City Pages a long time ago. There used to be a handful of writers that I'd read and some other very mixed results. ... but eventually City Pages is just a bunch of writers trying WAY too hard to manufacture attention / painfully flowery prose / plot lines, and generally not knowing much of anything about what they write.

I actually said something critical about City Pages a while back on another forum and someone replied to me noting the author of the linked article tweeted a screen shot of my comment with something to the effect of "LAMO lol". I'm not sure what the point was, but I thought it made my point nicely.

I read up on them for news on restaurants/bars

Seats in the rafters? Even the high corner seats are good in TCF.

Writer must also be CP food critic...

Dinks will be dinks.

Interesting they would note the one of maybe two polls that have them finishing 6th in the BTW. Several others have them higher and a handful are picking them to win the division. I would think a comment reflecting this would have added some optimism to the article but the only positive in this piece is the $10 flash sale. Typical!

I think they are talking about G4L's loser expectations.

An article written by someone who doesn't know much about Gopher football to be read mostly by an audience that doesn't even know what a football is.

Ha ha.

Look at all the thoughtless guppies in this thread.

Click bait did exactly what it was designed to do: get you to click on it. Not only that, you had to rush over to the ‘Hole to breathlessly shake your internet fists!

CP 1, ‘Hole rubes 0

Last edited:

Ha ha.

Look at all the thoughtless guppies in this thread.

Click bait did exactly what it was designed to do: get you to click on it. Not only that, you had to rush over to the ‘Hole to breathlessly shake your internet fists!

CP 1, ‘Hole rubes 0

"All the thoughtless guppies?" Other than PMWinSTP and GOFUR, how can you tell if anyone else clicked on the link?

"All the thoughtless guppies?" Other than PMWinSTP and GOFUR, how can you tell if anyone else clicked on the link?

I did not, and actually did not even read all of the original post. I just remember when there was a weekly newspaper competition between the Twin Cities Reader and City Pages. I liked the Reader.

Did a quick search and found this article on the end of the Twin Cities Reader. I had no idea that City Pages was purchased by the Star Tribune in 2015. So much for “alternative.”

https://www.minnpost.com/media/2019/03/remembering-the-twin-cities-reader-22-years-after-its-death/

My memory isn't as far back, but I thought City Pages was a lot better before Star Tribune took over in 2015. Now it's just click-bait, cringe-worthy articles.

Yeah I don't read anything they put out either. Its actually kinda funny that their is an entire publication dedicated to whining and saying everything is bad.

This article was definitely written by a Badger fan or Tracy Claeys’ sister.

Every new post in the thread just pushes the OP link back to the top of the stack.

*clap clap* ‘Hole

^How has this absolute sh1tclown not been banned yet? He brings literally nothing to the board and spams every damned thread with his nonsense.

Even a child can confirm I do not post in “every damn thread”.

I also don’t say anything vile or abusive, which is already more than you can claim.

I’m just very clever, very well written, and the majority older white male posters on ‘Hole *hate* my takes on most topics. That’s pretty much all it boils down to. They hate my takes. So they beg for bans, or resort to ignores. Well, the cowards do.

Too bad. ‘Hole should not be an echo chamber. Diversity is good. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited:

Top Bottom