STrib: Gophers using GPS tracking data and purposely slowing down more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souichi:

Throughout training camp this month, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has deviated from the sport’s infamous two-a-day practices.

Instead of grinding his players into the ground with two strenuous practices a day, Fleck has flip-flopped between physical and mental days. That might mean a grueling night scrimmage followed by a noncontact, walk-through practice the next day.

The decision didn’t come on a whim, either. The third-year Gophers coach — known for his high-energy, fast-paced practices — explained how the schedule is backed by science, namely the Catapult training system.

“I’m all about mind, body, spirit,” Fleck said. “I’ve evolved as a coach as I’ve gone forward, especially with the youth of 2019. It’s just different. I think this group can handle it, they’re mature enough to handle it.”

Catapult training compiles sports data and analytics using GPS trackers. The trackers are little chips inserted into the back of a vest players wear under their uniforms.

Fleck said the Gophers analyze multiple factors such as how fast a player runs in a game, the amount of effort required in conference games vs. nonconference games or how much exertion is required in a practice compared to a game.

“You’re not pulling teeth, you’re not you’re not babysitting, you’re not doing any of those things,” Fleck said. “The guys out there this year, they want to play. They want to get better. They want to grow.”

The result has been practices geared toward individual player goals. Different players have varying needs. During a noncontact session, the offensive and defensive linemen can take a physical break while keeping their minds sharp. The receivers and defensive backs can decipher formations and routes while taking the physical component out.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ta-and-purposely-slowing-down-more/557301132/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom