First play from scrimmage, first to score etc...

Maverick

Reaction score
I'm always interested in hearing from everyone what they think the first play from scrimmage and first score will be.

I believe first offensive play will be Rodney Smith off tackle, right side for a gain of about 7 or 8 yards. It will set the tone right off the bat and the Gophers will cruise!

First score will be Seth Green rambling for 11 yards on a 3rd and 2 on the first offensive series...

What do y'all think??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Slant to Bateman. He turns it upfield, finds a seam in the defense, and takes it to the house. The new kicker unfortunately misses the extra point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass to Faalele in the flat on a tackle eligible play with two tight ends for a 75 yard touchdown carrying 5 tacklers into the end zone!

First score: Same play! Quickly followed by a replacement of all the Gopher oxygen tanks.

Slant to Bateman. He turns it upfield, finds a seam in the defense, and takes it to the house. The new kicker unfortunately misses the extra point.

I watched the Purdue game recently ... man that slat drop in the endzone by Bateman still stings a bit...

I'm still conditioned to expect RUTM on first play out of the read option.
First score, a slant to TJ

The OC has a laminated game plan sheet where they group the play calls by situation (down, distance, where on the field, etc). They put in the plays that they like and the plays that looked the best during practice that week against the scout team.

So, it’s almost impossible to make any kind of non-wild guess what the first play will be, without knowing the situation.

But, assuming we’re 1st and 10, somewhere early to mid field (not red zone, not pinned back), and regardless what the score is at that point, I will guess that he first play will be a simple run handoff to get everyone’s feet wet, let the blockers bulldoze, etc.

I'm still conditioned to expect RUTM on first play out of the read option.
First score, a slant to TJ

It's not a bad choice to expect in OOC. If we feel our OL is pushing their DL around ... you want to keep that pressure on to break them.

On the other hand first game of the year last year and our OL was getting WORKED at the start of that game, it was very worry some but they got stronger as the game went on.

Pass to Faalele in the flat on a tackle eligible play with two tight ends for a 75 yard touchdown carrying 5 tacklers into the end zone!

First score: Same play! Quickly followed by a replacement of all the Gopher oxygen tanks.

Can't help but picture Billy Bob in Varsity Blues doing the same thing on the play that won them another District Title at the end of the movie.

We need to establish the OL as dominating and get them in rhythm. It establishes them for the season. I would not mind seeing us exclusively run the ball for the first possession. Our running backs are good enough we would likely score in 6 or 7 plays. There is plenty of game left to tune the passing game. This O can be fantastic. I hope we don't run back every kick for a TD. LOL!

It's not a bad choice to expect in OOC. If we feel our OL is pushing their DL around ... you want to keep that pressure on to break them.

On the other hand first game of the year last year and our OL was getting WORKED at the start of that game, it was very worry some but they got stronger as the game went on.

OL really started to gel as season went on.

It's cliche, but program like MN needs to follow path of Ia and Wi. dominate upfront

I'm always interested in hearing from everyone what they think the first play from scrimmage and first score will be.

I believe first offensive play will be Rodney Smith off tackle, right side for a gain of about 7 or 8 yards. It will set the tone right off the bat and the Gophers will cruise!

First score will be Seth Green rambling for 11 yards on a 3rd and 2 on the first offensive series...

What do y'all think??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RPO or Straight hand-off. If I had to choose I'd go with RPO run. I am guessing that the first series will be a read the opponent's defense series. I am guessing RPO, because (obviously another guess) they will want to see how much SDSU will sell-out to stop the run. 8 or 9 in the box. Throw early and force them to play honest.

First score, fade to Johnson.

We need to establish the OL as dominating and get them in rhythm. It establishes them for the season. I would not mind seeing us exclusively run the ball for the first possession. Our running backs are good enough we would likely score in 6 or 7 plays. There is plenty of game left to tune the passing game. This O can be fantastic. I hope we don't run back every kick for a TD. LOL!

I have no issue with using ground game. I know over years we've lamented for more potent passing attack, but I loved watching those glen mason teams just run over people, even with deficiencies passing the ball.

But your right, went checked box score for NM, started out with back to back 3 and outs.

Ended up pounding them 48-10, but was slow start

Hand off to MO for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Next play, bubble screen to Rodney Smith who makes a few defenders miss on route to a 57 yard touchdown (we had good field position due to a kick out of bounds).

They’re going to save the playbook for the Big Ten.

/s

Fans in recent years after the non con

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/SdzqEPdTx9cha" width="480" height="352" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/television-celebs-fallontonight-SdzqEPdTx9cha"></a></p>

Rodney takes the hand off at the 12 yard line, spin move, and rushes into the endzone.

The OC has a laminated game plan sheet where they group the play calls by situation (down, distance, where on the field, etc). They put in the plays that they like and the plays that looked the best during practice that week against the scout team.

So, it’s almost impossible to make any kind of non-wild guess what the first play will be, without knowing the situation.

But, assuming we’re 1st and 10, somewhere early to mid field (not red zone, not pinned back), and regardless what the score is at that point, I will guess that he first play will be a simple run handoff to get everyone’s feet wet, let the blockers bulldoze, etc.

Good grief...

Although I think we could run 100% of the time and win our first game, I also think Fleck would like Bateman and/or Johnson big games as often as possible, so I’m going with deep ball down the sideline to Bateman.

Although I think we could run 100% of the time and win our first game, I also think Fleck would like Bateman and/or Johnson big games as often as possible, so I’m going with deep ball down the sideline to Bateman.

Drive them capped off by a Green 2 yard TD on 2nd and goal.

They’re going to save the playbook for the Big Ten.

/s

Fans in recent years after the non con

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/SdzqEPdTx9cha" width="480" height="352" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/television-celebs-fallontonight-SdzqEPdTx9cha"></a></p>

HA!!

Correct. Then the Maryland game last year ... most of those folks jumped off a steep ledge.

First play: RPO with the pass going to TJ on the slant

First Score: Rodney Smith 12 yard run

If the first play is anything but a handoff to Rodney, I'll be shocked. First TD is a scoop & score by Thomas Rush.

Dear God. Even I think you are a wet blanket.

Of course it is a guess. I think you misunderstand the point of a message board.

Morgan lines up as a WR, Seth Green takes the snap and fumbles it. SDSU linebacker scoops and scores, but as he crosses the goal line he's demolished by Tanner Morgan, who is called for targeting and has to leave the game. Green remains in the game as QB and leads the Gophers to a 49-7 victory, which precipitates a quarterback controversy that doesn't end until Annexstad returns from injury, starts against Wisconsin, and leads the Gophers to their second and final win of the season. Final record: 2-10.

Top Bottom