Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default BTN Bus Tour - Program contrasts

First, I get it there are many different types of practices even within the same program during any season and I am most assuredly NOT saying BTNís bus tour provides compelling evidence who is the best coach.

I am saying, however, that Fleck appears to do a great job of grasping the tour as an opportunity while most other coaches tolerate it and donít seem to change anything up for the day the bus rolls into town.

I havenít seen every example this season but just from the past three stops...

MN practice is not only outdoors, but coincides with an open practice where there are people everywhere. Staged events like giving gifts to the outgoing commissioner. Players running all over the place, music blaring, coaches yelling, etc. etc.

Iowa and Nebraska, both practiced indoors despite beautiful weather outside (BTN even asks Frost about it in their interview). Everything is slower, more quiet, and the visual of an indoor practice is just... boring. Frostís practice in particular nearly had me sleeping by the halfway point. Frost himself is so boring he makes Iowa coaching look like the WWE.

I realize some would argue the slow/steady/quiet coaching technique is better and both Nebraska and Iowa head coaches are proven winners. And again, I am not offering this as ďevidenceĒ Fleck is the best coach. I know the goal is to prepare the team and win games, not necessarily to stage a tv event for BTN.

I do feel that for a program that badly needs to make a mark, Fleckís approach and attention to the event is a good thing for the Gophers.

Any other observations/opinions from the BTN bus tour??

Something small, but it stood out to me...Prior to the Fleck interview, they asked some players to name their favorite ďFleckism,Ē and the hosts played it up quite a bit. In the actual pre-taped interview, Fleck didnít use any of the Fleckisms at all. It made me wonder if he made a conscious decision to ditch the slogans for that particular interview. I prefer that version of PJ, honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, edit, Iowa did have bad weather for part of their BTN Bus day and morning sessions had to be indoors.

Makes you wonder: if we as GHers notice the difference in energy levels... what do teenaged boys (potential recruits) think of all of this?

As the OP said: Fleck gets it.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post

I realize some would argue the slow/steady/quiet coaching technique is better and both Nebraska and Iowa head coaches are proven winners.
    This isn't really the subject of your post, but I found this particular phrase interesting, because it seems to be the generally-held view that Frost is a proven winner and Fleck has yet to prove it.

Frost head coaching record (two years at UCF and one at Nebraska):

6-7
    13-0
    4-8
    Total: 23-15, .605

Fleck head coaching record (four years at Western Michigan and two at Minnesota):

1-11
    8-5
    8-5
    13-1
    5-7
    7-6
    Total: 42-35, .545

Edge to Frost, but it's not exactly a Saban-like winning percentage. Is he a proven winner as a head coach? (Personally, I think both Frost and Fleck will have long and illustrious careers at these two schools)

Iowa and Nebraska, both practiced indoors despite beautiful weather outside (BTN even asks Frost about it in their interview). Everything is slower, more quiet, and the visual of an indoor practice is just... boring. Frost’s practice in particular nearly had me sleeping by the halfway point. Frost himself is so boring he makes Iowa coaching look like the WWE.
    Hmm. I don’t know. If they don’t already dentists ought to offer local anesthetic with Valium, propofol, or Ferentz doing a presser depending on how zonked one wants to be. A dose or overadministration of Ferentz can quickly be counteracted with a dose of Fleck.

I don't know how many recruits watch the bus tour and make a decision based on that, but Fleck understands the importance of marketing as well as anyone and I think he is doing the right things.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

I'll bet the folks dealing with the bus tour appreciate what is going on in Minnesota as it makes it easier to do film clips etc. of a variety of activities. In addition I applaud Fleck for what he is doing. Every little bit helps.

out side of the gift for the out going commissioner I thought the practice was normal the hype and running around is a normal thing at a gopher practice under Fleck

nothing staged for the Bus tour

Yep. PJ runs the best practices and has the most energy. It is a mystery how these other schools can even compete. Boring.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

My observations pertain to the comparison from 2 years ago to the present. I can remember listening to the BIG10 guys on the tour 2 years ago and they didn't have ONE positive thing to say about the Gophers. The overall impression was that we had a LONG way to go to catch up to the rest of the BIG10 West, including facilities. Fast forward to this year's program: every one of them, Revsin, Dinardo, and Griffeth, said the Gophers are ready to compete for the BIG10 West Division Championship and that the talent level and depth has dramatically improved from 2 years ago. Dinardo said that the improvement was most noticeable at the line of scrimmage, particularly on defense. They also felt that we have one of the best running back groups in all the BIG as well as the receiving corps. I feel way more positive today than I did 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Yep. PJ runs the best practices and has the most energy. It is a mystery how these other schools can even compete. Boring.

Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

PJ does seem to put that extra effort into making the team visible and etc.

Other staff's you just wondered Man why don't they...

Quote Originally Posted by go4rob View Post
    My observations pertain to the comparison from 2 years ago to the present. I can remember listening to the BIG10 guys on the tour 2 years ago and they didn't have ONE positive thing to say about the Gophers. The overall impression was that we had a LONG way to go to catch up to the rest of the BIG10 West, including facilities. Fast forward to this year's program: every one of them, Revsin, Dinardo, and Griffeth, said the Gophers are ready to compete for the BIG10 West Division Championship and that the talent level and depth has dramatically improved from 2 years ago. Dinardo said that the improvement was most noticeable at the line of scrimmage, particularly on defense. They also felt that we have one of the best running back groups in all the BIG as well as the receiving corps. I feel way more positive today than I did 2 years ago.
    You must be remembering something from more than two years ago, because at this time in 2017 we were coming off a 9-win season and the Athletes Village was under construction - in fact the new Athletes Village was completed sometime that winter, wasn't it?

Now we're coming off a 7-win season and still yammering about being one of the youngest teams in the country.

I can't help it, it irks me to hear how Fleck has elevated a program by moving into facilities that were already under construction when he arrived and improving our talent level so much that we're up to - ahem - seven wins.
    Iím a light eater. As soon as itís light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.

Truthfully the BTN guys are making educated guesses as much as any of the sportswriters or analysts. They see one practice, seemingly judge how the team looks coming off the bus, look at recent success, returning production like everyone else. They are not infallible. I can recall them lauding MSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin prior to mediocre or awful years. The particularly went on and on about Diaco’s hire and that did not go well. I’m not sure they predicted the rise of Purdue from the dead. They tend to play to the fans and the expectations that are out there in the media. I wonder what they would have predicted about Mason’s teams back in the day. It’s nice they said MN looks competitive now and it’s true the team looks bigger/faster/stronger and has some real skill talent...