Retired Jerseys

noamfromm

Reaction score
I was inspired based on a conversation in the gopherhole pictorial countdown, where a poster mentioned Sandy Stephen's number 15 jersey being retired.

Bruce Smith's 54, Bronko Nagurski's 72, and Paul Giel's 10 have never been worn by another Gopher since their jersey was retired (1977, 1979, 1991 respectively)

Sandy Stephens' 15 and Bobby Bell's 78 have been worn every year since they have been retired (2000 & 2010 respectively)

I asked the gopher athletic department and they said that no jersey's are officially retired from use, yet I find it statistically impossible that it is a coincidence that no one has worn 10,54, or 72.

I am posting because I am curious if anyone has any insight as to why Smith, Nagurski and Giel's jerseys havent been worn while Stephens' and Bell's have.

5 retired jerseys. 3 retired jerseys of white players have never been worn again. 2 black players retired jerseys that are still being used. Hmmm.....

Start JerseyGate!

I don't remember specific players and it might be a basketball reference but I seem to remember reading that some of the former players who have had their jerseys retired actually prefer that someone else gets the opportunity to wear that number. They accept the honor but let the U know that it is fine if other players wear their number.

All I know is whatever the status of the guys named on the stadium ring of honor, it should also include Leo Nomellini as his accomplishments fit within, or exceed the precedents set by those players.

Because accomplishments of the distant past are mythologized and ranked more highly than accomplishments of the more recent past.

It’s like how Joe Schmo could get a street named after him 100 years ago just for living on it, while today you have to be a former president or something.

Because accomplishments of the distant past are mythologized and ranked more highly than accomplishments of the more recent past.

It’s like how Joe Schmo could get a street named after him 100 years ago just for living on it, while today you have to be a former president or something.

Or the lucky recipient nominated from a politically correct pitchfork mob.

Bruce Smith is our only Heisman winner. Bronko has the trophy for the best college football defensive player in the nation named after him. Paul Giel was a two-time B1G MVP and Heisman runner-up. He was also the Gopher AD for nearly 20 years. I don't think any of those guys just lived on the street.

I seem to recall that the Stephens family wanted to have other kids of color continue to wear the jersey. I remember Jamal Harris saying something about feeling blessed the Stephens family was OK with or wanted him wearing the jersey (don't remember the exact phrasing).

It could be just that simple that Bobby Bell and the Sandy Stephens' family want the number to be used and that Nagurski, Smith's family and Paul Giel didn't, or at least never said they did.

I wonder if Nagurski picked a number? Numbers weren't used in college football until after his career. The odd part is he wore number 3 with the Bears...

Are they retired jerseys? Or retired numbers?

Exactly. I can get behind retiring a player’s jersey (his number with his name). Retiring a number is dumb (unless the player is Heisman worthy/GOAT/legendary).

I seem to recall that the Stephens family wanted to have other kids of color continue to wear the jersey. I remember Jamal Harris saying something about feeling blessed the Stephens family was OK with or wanted him wearing the jersey (don't remember the exact phrasing).

It could be just that simple that Bobby Bell and the Sandy Stephens' family want the number to be used and that Nagurski, Smith's family and Paul Giel didn't, or at least never said they did.

I wonder if Nagurski picked a number? Numbers weren't used in college football until after his career. The odd part is he wore number 3 with the Bears...

Bronko Nagurski https://gophersports.com/news/2010/9/23/Classic_Rewrite_Bronko_Nagurski.aspx

Last edited:

Top Bottom