Minnesota Wins the West? Perhaps it's not a stupid prediction.

pk2

Reaction score
Collegefootballnews.com has a blurb, "5 (Potentially) Stupid Big Ten Predictions." The second one on the list (or, if you prefer, prediction #4), is that the Gophers will win the B1G West. This is right after the prediction that says the B1G will be 38-4 in non-conference play.

(Spoiler alert: They pick Michigan to win the B1G championship game, and head to the playoffs.)

4. The Wisconsin vs. Minnesota game will be for the West

Oh sure, everyone loves Nebraska this year.

All of sudden, the Big Red Machine is back, the Huskers are going to dominate the world, and Scott Frost will bring 2017 UCF fun to the program on the way to a national champio … pump the brakes a wee bit.

The Huskers have a nasty schedule, a questionable defense, and likely won’t have the consistency needed to do a whole lot more than have a much, much better season and go bowling.

Oh sure, everyone sort of forgot about Northwestern so much that’s it’s become hipster-cool to say that everyone sort of forgot about Northwestern.

Almost all of the big games are at home, but Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue and Minnesota are all going to be a problem. And the two giant games away from Evanston? Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Purdue will be good, Iowa will be great, and Illinois will be … more on that in a moment. The Big Ten West, though, will come down to the Paul Bunyan Axe.

Minnesota went 14 seasons without beating Wisconsin, and then with bowl eligibility on the line, it rolled into Madison and left with a 37-15 win that was even more impressive than the final score.

The Badgers have a rough Big Ten schedule with Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State to deal with from the West. But it gets Iowa and Northwestern at home.

Without getting way too deep into it, here’s the nutty prediction for how this will all go down.

Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin will all have four losses. After the tie-breakers shake out, if the Badgers win at Minnesota, they’ll take the West, If the Gophers win at home, they’ll take the division.

Keeping with the theme of the piece ….

Minnesota will play for the Big Ten title.

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...tm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

Yeah I started feeling this vibe after I saw the offense and defense at the first open practice. Big Ten title game.

Not bad. Collegefootballnews.com are not dinks...I guess.

Always interesting to take a look back at pre-season predictions. He didn't nail it but not too shabby for a mid-August prediction. There were projections that had us contending for the West but don't think anybody could have predicted it all playing out the way it did with us and Wisconsin battling for the top spot while Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue all fell way short of expectations.

The west came down to MN and Wisc already this year.... i'm not sure what is potentially stupid about calling it again...

The west came down to MN and Wisc already this year.... i'm not sure what is potentially stupid about calling it again...
Look at the date of the OP, it's from this past August.

Has the big ten officially referred to the Gophers as Big 10 West co-champions or is that just a Fleck thing?

Has the big ten officially referred to the Gophers as Big 10 West co-champions or is that just a Fleck thing?
It's a real thing. You might not like hearing him or others say it, but it's a fact, the Gophers are Big Ten West co-champions.

It's a real thing. You might not like hearing him or others say it, but it's a fact, the Gophers are Big Ten West co-champions.
I like just fine, thank you! Time to display it @ TCF Bank!

I was pretty certain Minnesota could contend in 2019 (see my Post #2, from last August).

There were three main factors at that time that made me think this way:

1) The schedule, and the way it was sequenced. I thought we could build momentum over the course of the season.

2) The Gophers' very impressive finish against good opponents in 2018, with the emergence of young players who figured to grow and improve over time.

3) Returning productivity. SBNation had an interesting study that ranked Minnesota #1 in the B1G in returning productivity. I thought that factor could be significant, and it proved to be so.

All that being said, I predicted 9-3. They exceeded my expectations.

How was that Tournament of roses parade? Oh my bad, you didn't go to the Rose Bowl. The B1G champion went. Saying you are co-champs really wreaks of desperation and makes you look bush league. When you lose the tie breaker in the way that you did, then claim victory. Its like rowing with one oar out of the water.

How was that Tournament of roses parade? Oh my bad, you didn't go to the Rose Bowl. The B1G champion went. Saying you are co-champs really wreaks of desperation and makes you look bush league. When you lose the tie breaker in the way that you did, then claim victory. Its like rowing with one oar out of the water.

I missed Ohio State in the ole tournament

"Reeks", not "wreaks".

Are you perhaps a Wisconsin grad?

Parade was good as usual. Yes we are co-champs. No we don't "wreaks" of desperation. Bush league. Wisconsin is in the same division as Minnesota, are they in the bush league as well? If you go to a bowl game, it would be nice if you would win once in a while instead of embarrassing the entire B1G with your performance by losing every year (choke?) . Boring on the Wisconsin board so you're over here? LOL

The most delicious breakfast I've ever had was Jan 2 2020, on the beach, having destroyed Auburn, watching replays of Becky coughing it up in the Rose Bowl. Attending is only half the deal. You kinda have to win, too.

He, and the rest of the world, were certainly wrong about Nebraska. Good, works for me

The most delicious breakfast I've ever had was Jan 2 2020, on the beach, having destroyed Auburn, watching replays of Becky coughing it up in the Rose Bowl. Attending is only half the deal. You kinda have to win, too.
I miss the beach...

How was the parade? Quite excellent! Beating the team that beat the team that beat Wisconsin was quite satisfying as well! Troll!

Top Bottom