Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S View Post
    Anybody whose moniker is a Schnauzer, a mutt with no real reason to be in the company of real human beings, should be fouled up and derailed as often as possible. I'm just saying you would get more respect if your moniker was Rottweiler or Butkus.
    I’d take the name Schnauzer over Dean all day long, and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Oh man. Whatever happened to that guy?
    I heard his mom grounded him and took away his computer for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsTALON View Post
    Yes I've been on the Jacks board.
    This is the understatement of the year.

The Jacks are one of those teams that you should beat by a few scores as long as you take them seriously.

They are also one of those teams that can beat power 5 schools who are sloppy. First game of the year i doubt Minnesota will have much of a problem. The first half may be competitive. But the second half will probably be where the depth and RBs grinding out a large victory. I say a 21-24 point win over the Jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by SkerzFan View Post
    The Jacks are one of those teams that you should beat by a few scores as long as you take them seriously.

They are also one of those teams that can beat power 5 schools who are sloppy. First game of the year i doubt Minnesota will have much of a problem. The first half may be competitive. But the second half will probably be where the depth and RBs grinding out a large victory. I say a 21-24 point win over the Jacks.
    Just like Iowa couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SkerzFan View Post

I'll be attending the game. We are likely starting a redshirt freshman at QB but we return a lot of starters on both offense and defense. The Jacks are ranked #3 in FCS (behind NDSU and James Madison) -- an indication from those who watch FCS football that bringing in a new quarterback isn't causing many to devalue SDSU this year. SkerzFan's comments about the role depth plays in the second half is always a concern in an FCS/FBS game and the 85 to 63 scholarship differential certainly can be the determining factor. But, SDSU will come into the stadium with some confidence and I think we're going to see a good football game. I think Gophers fans will be impressed with our running backs and another wide receiver and tight end duo who are carrying on some tradition we've had at those positions. I'll use SkerzFan's numbers but am rearranging them: Jackrabbits 24, Gophers 21.

Hey: benefit of this game: you don't have to put up with NDSU fans!

I am going to make a potentially preposterous statement as I'm both a Gophers and Jacks fan. This is the best Minnesota roster top to bottom I've seen in my (40+ years) lifetime. In the past there were always warts to be found somewhere in the lineup. The warts this year are depth. The offensive line is enormous and pretty athletic. There are top end B1G talented players on both sides of the ball. The WR and RB units are among the best in the B1G. It's going to be a long day for the Jacks and I anticipate an easy -12.5 cover for Minnesota although it may be fairly close going into the 2nd half. SDSU will need to win at the LOS and turnover battle to have any chance. This goes for any of Minnesota's non-con opponents. I don't think they have any idea what is about to happen to them. CFB can get weird, especially early in the season, so anything is possible. That's why they play the games.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJD View Post
    True, they’re so cocky. They’ve only won, what 7 out of the last 8 FCS championships?

Blog Entries

I'll be attending the game. We are likely starting a redshirt freshman at QB but we return a lot of starters on both offense and defense. The Jacks are ranked #3 in FCS (behind NDSU and James Madison) -- an indication from those who watch FCS football that bringing in a new quarterback isn't causing many to devalue SDSU this year. SkerzFan's comments about the role depth plays in the second half is always a concern in an FCS/FBS game and the 85 to 63 scholarship differential certainly can be the determining factor. But, SDSU will come into the stadium with some confidence and I think we're going to see a good football game. I think Gophers fans will be impressed with our running backs and another wide receiver and tight end duo who are carrying on some tradition we've had at those positions. I'll use SkerzFan's numbers but am rearranging them: Jackrabbits 24, Gophers 21.

The huge struggle SDSU will have is size, and specifically, size of their DL. SDSU has one DL over 300 lbs. The next highest is 270. The projected starting OL is 325, 345, 305, 400, 320 (possibly out of order, possibly other people). SDSU is going to struggle to get pressure on the QB or stop the run without blitzing, which is dangerous if they don't get enough pressure.

To put it in perspective, the Gophers have six DL over 300 lbs. and only five of twenty are at or below 270.

SDSU is a good team. No question. If the Gophers don't take them seriously, it could be a long day. But if the Gophers play a reasonably good game, the talent/size/speed difference will be impossible for SDSU to overcome.

But then again, there's always Appalachian State over Michigan, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    True, they’re so cocky. They’ve only won, what 7 out of the last 8 FCS championships?
    Go away. No one likes you.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshurun View Post
    Go away. No one likes you.
    This just makes me want to post more! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    But then again, there's always Appalachian State over Michigan, so you never know.
    I’d argue NDSU over Iowa, like 2-3 years ago, is more relevant.

Blog Entries

On your last statement, we can all agree!

Welcome! Are you expecting a large traveling group from SDSU?

Quote Originally Posted by FMofDT View Post
    I am going to make a potentially preposterous statement as I'm both a Gophers and Jacks fan. This is the best Minnesota roster top to bottom I've seen in my (40+ years) lifetime. In the past there were always warts to be found somewhere in the lineup. The warts this year are depth. The offensive line is enormous and pretty athletic. There are top end B1G talented players on both sides of the ball. The WR and RB units are among the best in the B1G. It's going to be a long day for the Jacks and I anticipate an easy -12.5 cover for Minnesota although it may be fairly close going into the 2nd half. SDSU will need to win at the LOS and turnover battle to have any chance. This goes for any of Minnesota's non-con opponents. I don't think they have any idea what is about to happen to them. CFB can get weird, especially early in the season, so anything is possible. That's why they play the games.
    Very reasonable take - I would also think our WR talent will present serious issues for SDSU as well... I think it’s much more likely to be a 4 TD+ victory than it still being close in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    The huge struggle SDSU will have is size, and specifically, size of their DL. SDSU has one DL over 300 lbs. The next highest is 270. The projected starting OL is 325, 345, 305, 400, 320 (possibly out of order, possibly other people). SDSU is going to struggle to get pressure on the QB or stop the run without blitzing, which is dangerous if they don't get enough pressure.

To put it in perspective, the Gophers have six DL over 300 lbs. and only five of twenty are at or below 270.

SDSU is a good team. No question. If the Gophers don't take them seriously, it could be a long day. But if the Gophers play a reasonably good game, the talent/size/speed difference will be impossible for SDSU to overcome.

Totally agree, especially with the part in bold. For FCS teams to spring the upset it usually takes the FBS team making some mistakes that give them the opportunity to stay in the game.

So if the Gophers don't turn the ball over or commit a bunch of stupid penalties (something this team has been really good at avoiding under Fleck) their physical advantages should lead to a fairly comfortable victory

But we all know anything can happen, and if you give a team like SDSU hope that they can actually pull the upset on gameday then all bets are off. It always gets dicey when you let the smaller school hang around until late in the game when a bad bounce or two can shift the outcome of the game.

With the experience the U has coming back the team should hopefully be able to make some good things happen early to keep the game from being in doubt late.