SDSU Jackrabbits forum

Anybody whose moniker is a Schnauzer, a mutt with no real reason to be in the company of real human beings, should be fouled up and derailed as often as possible. I'm just saying you would get more respect if your moniker was Rottweiler or Butkus.

I’d take the name Schnauzer over Dean all day long, and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jacks are one of those teams that you should beat by a few scores as long as you take them seriously.

They are also one of those teams that can beat power 5 schools who are sloppy. First game of the year i doubt Minnesota will have much of a problem. The first half may be competitive. But the second half will probably be where the depth and RBs grinding out a large victory. I say a 21-24 point win over the Jacks.

The Jacks are one of those teams that you should beat by a few scores as long as you take them seriously.

They are also one of those teams that can beat power 5 schools who are sloppy. First game of the year i doubt Minnesota will have much of a problem. The first half may be competitive. But the second half will probably be where the depth and RBs grinding out a large victory. I say a 21-24 point win over the Jacks.

Just like Iowa couple years ago.

I'll be attending the game. We are likely starting a redshirt freshman at QB but we return a lot of starters on both offense and defense. The Jacks are ranked #3 in FCS (behind NDSU and James Madison) -- an indication from those who watch FCS football that bringing in a new quarterback isn't causing many to devalue SDSU this year. SkerzFan's comments about the role depth plays in the second half is always a concern in an FCS/FBS game and the 85 to 63 scholarship differential certainly can be the determining factor. But, SDSU will come into the stadium with some confidence and I think we're going to see a good football game. I think Gophers fans will be impressed with our running backs and another wide receiver and tight end duo who are carrying on some tradition we've had at those positions. I'll use SkerzFan's numbers but am rearranging them: Jackrabbits 24, Gophers 21.

Hey: benefit of this game: you don't have to put up with NDSU fans! ;)

I am going to make a potentially preposterous statement as I'm both a Gophers and Jacks fan. This is the best Minnesota roster top to bottom I've seen in my (40+ years) lifetime. In the past there were always warts to be found somewhere in the lineup. The warts this year are depth. The offensive line is enormous and pretty athletic. There are top end B1G talented players on both sides of the ball. The WR and RB units are among the best in the B1G. It's going to be a long day for the Jacks and I anticipate an easy -12.5 cover for Minnesota although it may be fairly close going into the 2nd half. SDSU will need to win at the LOS and turnover battle to have any chance. This goes for any of Minnesota's non-con opponents. I don't think they have any idea what is about to happen to them. CFB can get weird, especially early in the season, so anything is possible. That's why they play the games.

I'll be attending the game. We are likely starting a redshirt freshman at QB but we return a lot of starters on both offense and defense. The Jacks are ranked #3 in FCS (behind NDSU and James Madison) -- an indication from those who watch FCS football that bringing in a new quarterback isn't causing many to devalue SDSU this year. SkerzFan's comments about the role depth plays in the second half is always a concern in an FCS/FBS game and the 85 to 63 scholarship differential certainly can be the determining factor. But, SDSU will come into the stadium with some confidence and I think we're going to see a good football game. I think Gophers fans will be impressed with our running backs and another wide receiver and tight end duo who are carrying on some tradition we've had at those positions. I'll use SkerzFan's numbers but am rearranging them: Jackrabbits 24, Gophers 21.

The huge struggle SDSU will have is size, and specifically, size of their DL. SDSU has one DL over 300 lbs. The next highest is 270. The projected starting OL is 325, 345, 305, 400, 320 (possibly out of order, possibly other people). SDSU is going to struggle to get pressure on the QB or stop the run without blitzing, which is dangerous if they don't get enough pressure.

To put it in perspective, the Gophers have six DL over 300 lbs. and only five of twenty are at or below 270.

SDSU is a good team. No question. If the Gophers don't take them seriously, it could be a long day. But if the Gophers play a reasonably good game, the talent/size/speed difference will be impossible for SDSU to overcome.

But then again, there's always Appalachian State over Michigan, so you never know.

On your last statement, we can all agree!;)

Welcome! Are you expecting a large traveling group from SDSU?

I am going to make a potentially preposterous statement as I'm both a Gophers and Jacks fan. This is the best Minnesota roster top to bottom I've seen in my (40+ years) lifetime. In the past there were always warts to be found somewhere in the lineup. The warts this year are depth. The offensive line is enormous and pretty athletic. There are top end B1G talented players on both sides of the ball. The WR and RB units are among the best in the B1G. It's going to be a long day for the Jacks and I anticipate an easy -12.5 cover for Minnesota although it may be fairly close going into the 2nd half. SDSU will need to win at the LOS and turnover battle to have any chance. This goes for any of Minnesota's non-con opponents. I don't think they have any idea what is about to happen to them. CFB can get weird, especially early in the season, so anything is possible. That's why they play the games.

Very reasonable take - I would also think our WR talent will present serious issues for SDSU as well... I think it’s much more likely to be a 4 TD+ victory than it still being close in the 4th.

The huge struggle SDSU will have is size, and specifically, size of their DL. SDSU has one DL over 300 lbs. The next highest is 270. The projected starting OL is 325, 345, 305, 400, 320 (possibly out of order, possibly other people). SDSU is going to struggle to get pressure on the QB or stop the run without blitzing, which is dangerous if they don't get enough pressure.

To put it in perspective, the Gophers have six DL over 300 lbs. and only five of twenty are at or below 270.

SDSU is a good team. No question. If the Gophers don't take them seriously, it could be a long day. But if the Gophers play a reasonably good game, the talent/size/speed difference will be impossible for SDSU to overcome.

But then again, there's always Appalachian State over Michigan, so you never know.

Totally agree, especially with the part in bold. For FCS teams to spring the upset it usually takes the FBS team making some mistakes that give them the opportunity to stay in the game.

So if the Gophers don't turn the ball over or commit a bunch of stupid penalties (something this team has been really good at avoiding under Fleck) their physical advantages should lead to a fairly comfortable victory

But we all know anything can happen, and if you give a team like SDSU hope that they can actually pull the upset on gameday then all bets are off. It always gets dicey when you let the smaller school hang around until late in the game when a bad bounce or two can shift the outcome of the game.

With the experience the U has coming back the team should hopefully be able to make some good things happen early to keep the game from being in doubt late.

This is what should allow the Gophers to pull away in the 2nd half (if they haven't already at that point). If it's close at halftime, the Gophers will run a ton in the 2nd half.

I could see PJ running one of the most bland offenses/defenses he can possibly muster against SDSU.
I doubt the Gophers are going to run up the score against this team.
Fresno State should be top of his mind right now and I don't think he's going to want to put anything on film week 1.

Last edited:

I could see PJ running one of the most bland offenses/defenses he can possibly muster against SDSU.
Fresno State should be top of his mind right now and I don't think he's going to want to put anything on film week 1.

One of my frustrations with the Mason regime was that while he won easily, and I didnt' know how good I had it, they just focused on the running game. Always seemed like a wasted opportunity to work on the passing game. I hope we come out throwing against SDSU. Sure, if the game is close after half, do what you need to do to win. But throwing the ball more early I think will both surprise SDSU, potentially lead to an easy win, and throw off our game plan for future opponents.

If it turns out we run a bland offense I seriously doubt it has anything to do with looking forward to Fresno St. You can't afford to do that in CFB. It would be more of which plays are and aren't they comfortable running at this early stage in the season. If we're winning the LOS with 3-5 yards a pop, there's not much reason to change the recipe.

You can, if you feel the opponent is so inferior that you can win the game without having to put all of your plays in film.

I don’t think Fleck approaches any game with that mindset.

I think they will throw deep several times in this game. Faalele might even get his first carry.

The old adage... the more you show the more future opponents have to prepare for. The less you show, the less future opponents know about you.

I am not allowing myself to be worried about the opener. That isn't to say it would be impossible for the Gophers to lose. I think I actually did declare it would be impossible for the Gophers to lose for a game back in the late Brewster or early Kill era. Either New Mexico State or South Dakota. I figured I had every right to be cocky because after all, it wasn't me playing in or coaching in that game. It still felt weird to "guarantee" victory - and it felt so Minnesota-sports-appropriate when the Gophers lost.

I do believe the Gophers are good enough to compete for the division crown this season and although my official prediction is for an 8-4 season, I see the possibility the final record could even be better than that. If any of this is true, you simply don't lose to an FCS team at home. If the Gophers sputter to a loss in a game like this, it is time to do a major overhaul of expectations for this season, and it is time to start seeing cracks in the theory the final two wins of the '18 season meant what we thought they meant for 2019.

I bopped on over to the SDSU board to do some lurking/skulking and see what they're saying about the Gophers game. Two things I noticed: first, they aren't too optimistic about beating the U. And second, there's a new user over there called GSUsTALON, and it looks like he's the busiest poster on that board.
http://sdsufans.com/board/forumdisplay.php?49-Jackrabbit-Football
Dude is obsessive.

TALON I probably am.

No way I'm checking. Wonder how many boards GSUsTALON is on anyway? Also wonder what his life would be like if he didn't have these boards to go to.

TALON - Right now I'm on the LSU, Gopher Hole and visit the SDSU from time to time

Consider me bemused rather than offended. But it was a shock to find him over there commiserating and giving pep talks to Jackrabbit fans.

TALON-Yes and I have posted on the Jacks and NDSUs board going many years back to GSUs FCS days. You can go back and see when I joined both boards. I want to see how SDSU does against the Gophers offense and defense.

Ha! He's predicting both GSU and SDSU victories over us.

TALON- I'm predicting that GSU can beat the Gophers by 3 points. As far as SDSU goes they could have a chance if the Gophers treat them lightly. (POSSIBLE, but not PROBABLE.) I also told them they have to defeat your offensive and defensive lines which are said to be at the top of the country!

**I will be watching both of your first 2 games. I really want to see what the Gophers defense and offense can do! I'd like to see how your opponents coaching staffs attacks a superior Gopher offense and defense!

Last edited:

I ignore listed that dude long ago after a completely pointless exchange with him. I also quit visiting his mega thread long ago as well. Life is good.

Ever notice how certain people constantly like to brag about who they’ve ignored?
Sign of an immature and weak mind.

TALON he will never see this post since he has you on his ignore list.

TALON - Thanks for sticking up for me Valley, but I have never placed any poster on my ignore list, on any board.

TALON - Thanks for sticking up for me Valley, but I have never placed any poster on my ignore list, on any board.

Did you know that you don't have to put your name before each thing you post? You can just go ahead and type, we know who's saying it.

Did you know that you don't have to put your name before each thing you post? You can just go ahead and type, we know who's saying it.

I know, but I like to especially when replying to multiple quotes.

On your last statement, we can all agree!;)

Welcome! Are you expecting a large traveling group from SDSU?

Not sure how many will travel for a Thursday game. SDSU also has a significant alumni group in the Twin Cities. Jacks fans will be spread out in the stadium because so many of us have family and friends in the Twin Cities. My group will be in the middle of Gopher season ticket holders.

He’s harmless, but I don’t get why there are so many misspellings, so much bad grammar, and overuse of cap locks and bold font in his posts. He claims to be a graduate of GSU, yet his posts read like they were written by a 3rd grader.

I don't think one needs to be a Rhodes Scholar to get into GSU

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was amazed how many poor writers I got stuck on group projects with at the U. Now I work with a bunch of poor writers who went to Northwestern and U of Chicago, both top 10 schools.

In second grade I was diagnosed as dyslectic. In the early 60's it was just being looked into. I was taken to the University of Rhode Island where I attended their research classes 2 hours a day and they began to help me read and spell. Since dyslectics have a hard time remembering sight words they used the phonetic approach. As you know phonetics only work on half of the English language.

After my father left the navy we moved to Gainesville Florida where I continued classes for another year.

I know with a computer and spell check that this should not be a problem, but I often post without proofreading. Well that and a 6 pack doesn’t help either.

I’d argue NDSU over Iowa, like 2-3 years ago, is more relevant.

Iowa was the #13 team in the Nation and a 14.5 pt favorite.

Michigan was the #5 team in the nation and an official betting line wasn’t even offered. The internet tells me the unofficial line was 33 pts.

Top Bottom