Gophers announce flash sale, $10 tickets for South Dakota State game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Twenty-Four Hour Flash Sale Announced

The University of Minnesota athletic department announced today that it will host an online 24-hour State Fair Sale from 10 a.m. on Aug. 22 to 10 a.m. on Aug. 23.

During this time, single-game tickets for Minnesota's season-opening football game against South Dakota State will be $10. The Gophers host the Jackrabbits at 8 p.m. on Aug. 29 at TCF Bank Stadium.

Fans may click here to take advantage of this offer starting at 10 a.m. on Aug. 22. Fans may also take advantage of this, and many other exclusive offerings, by visiting the University of Minnesota booth at the Minnesota State Fair throughout the duration of the fair.

"We want to make Gopher football available to as many fans as possible and this is another example of how we are working to earn fans back," said Athletics Director Mark Coyle. "This is an exciting season for Minnesota football, and I look forward to seeing all our fans at TCF Bank Stadium on Aug. 29 cheering on the Gophers."

Minnesota is 6-0 all-time against South Dakota State. The Gophers have won 15 straight non-conference games and are 19-1 in their past 20 non-conference home games. Minnesota has won 10 straight non-conference games at TCF Bank Stadium.

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I like the effort.

I worry about the reach of this, like in 4 hours are that many people watching twitter or whatever.

I like the effort.

The Gopher marketing and sales team are doing their best to improve themselves each and every day.

If they want a full house every game, all they need to do is give away free tickets to students for the less popular games. People respond to the word “free.”

If they want a full house every game, all they need to do is give away free tickets to students for the less popular games. People respond to the word “free.”

I feel like the gap between students and the number of empty seats is so great that ... free maybe wouldn't even get that far.

They have to do it...go look at Gophersports.com and look at how many empty seats there are in the upper deck. I bought nose bleeds corner seats weeks ago but I plan on sitting 40 yard line opposite the scoreboard.

This team HAS to go 3-0 to get people remotely excited about this season.

They have to do it...go look at Gophersports.com and look at how many empty seats there are in the upper deck. I bought nose bleeds corner seats weeks ago but I plan on sitting 40 yard line opposite the scoreboard.

This team HAS to go 3-0 to get people remotely excited about this season.

Is that an expectation or prediction? Asking for a recent prolific GH poster...

Wall Drug has 5 cent coffee. It's one of their attractions, people drop in at Wall Drug and get a cup of 5 cent coffee. Now, free coffee, you can get that anywhere, but 5 cent coffee, now that's a deal. I think it's the same thing with tickets. Give people free tickets, and maybe they'll show up, maybe they won't. But people like a good deal, and cheap tends to be a better deal than free.

I'm for butts-in-the-seats with at least some level of return...even minimal...but not free. I'm banking that a competitive team will be the only thing to bridge the gap to a not only a sellout but a full stadium to match.

In the meantime they need to start working something for graduating seniors each year...provide them with some kind of transition status until they get their career feet under them. Maybe this is already being done but something to reinforce being a Gopher as a lifetime commitment to the U, Team, and University Community. Maybe some kind of relationship with the Greek community too (although I've not been part of that).

Wall Drug has 5 cent coffee. It's one of their attractions, people drop in at Wall Drug and get a cup of 5 cent coffee. Now, free coffee, you can get that anywhere, but 5 cent coffee, now that's a deal. I think it's the same thing with tickets. Give people free tickets, and maybe they'll show up, maybe they won't. But people like a good deal, and cheap tends to be a better deal than free.

Agreed. If you want to get rid of an old chair you put it on the curb with a sign. If that sign says “free” it won’t go anywhere. If that sign says “$10” it will get ‘stolen’ in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and now, the Rainmakers with "Government cheese"

Give a man free food and he'll figure out a way
To steal more than he can eat 'cause he doesn't have to pay
Give a woman free kids and you'll find them in the dirt
Learning how to carry on the family line of work
It's the man in the White House, the man under the steeple
Passing out drugs to the American people
I don't believe in anything, nothing is free
They're feeding our people the Government Cheese.

I'm for butts-in-the-seats with at least some level of return...even minimal...but not free. I'm banking that a competitive team will be the only thing to bridge the gap to a not only a sellout but a full stadium to match.

In the meantime they need to start working something for graduating seniors each year...provide them with some kind of transition status until they get their career feet under them. Maybe this is already being done but something to reinforce being a Gopher as a lifetime commitment to the U, Team, and University Community. Maybe some kind of relationship with the Greek community too (although I've not been part of that).

199 a season for up to 5 years after graduation

Agreed. If you want to get rid of an old chair you put it on the curb with a sign. If that sign says “free” it won’t go anywhere. If that sign says “$10” it will get ‘stolen’ in an hour.

Spoken like someone who has never posted a "curb alert" on Craigslist.

I comes down to whether you want butts in the seat or not. Free tickets given to students for these low interest games would mean incremental concessions sales, and fewer embarrassing shots on TV of empty seats. I don’t need a free seat. I’ll gladly pay.

100% spot on! Now, is it all seats? Just the nose bleeds? Anyone know?

I got rid of the most ratty patio furniture you’ll ever see by putting it on the curb. I honestly didn’t think anyone would want it. It was gone within 15 minutes. Nobody was gonna pay $10 for it.

We did both methods when we moved a few years ago. I was shocked at how much people would pay for our junk. I think some people just get a thrill out of thinking they are getting a bargain.

I got rid of the most ratty patio furniture you’ll ever see by putting it on the curb. I honestly didn’t think anyone would want it. It was gone within 15 minutes. Nobody was gonna pay $10 for it.

Glad you got rid of it.
I wasn’t suggesting you would get $10.

I like the effort.

I worry about the reach of this, like in 4 hours are that many people watching twitter or whatever.

Not sure what you mean. I received an email about it yesterday as well, so it's not just Twitter. They're giving a couple days notice for something running 24 hours. Seems fair.

That reminds me that I'm going to be sitting on those bleachers, so I have to find my inflatable ring to sit on. My hip starts aching if I sit on a hard surface too long. And they won't let me bring in a foam cushion, because it's too thick. I'll have inflate the cushion once I get inside. I'm going with pizza tickets. It's cheaper and i get pizza.

and now, the Rainmakers with "Government cheese"

Give a man free food and he'll figure out a way
To steal more than he can eat 'cause he doesn't have to pay
Give a woman free kids and you'll find them in the dirt
Learning how to carry on the family line of work
It's the man in the White House, the man under the steeple
Passing out drugs to the American people
I don't believe in anything, nothing is free
They're feeding our people the Government Cheese.

I think you have to over 50 to remember Government Cheese.

Not sure what you mean. I received an email about it yesterday as well, so it's not just Twitter. They're giving a couple days notice for something running 24 hours. Seems fair.

I got the impression that it was right then and there when the post was made, but I got the email later too, made more sense.

Tried to get few friends to go, still too rich for their blood!

I'll be there, looking forward to it. Hopefully we build some momentum and get stadium full again! So much more fun when the crowd is rocking

Agree!

Not the same circumstances, and his point about human nature still stands.

If you post something for free on Craigslist, there's a good chance that somebody is actually looking for that thing and will jump at the chance to get it for free.

The chance of that same somebody randomly driving by your house, however, is very low. Conversely, the chance of someone driving by your house and 'stealing' something they don't even need because they feel like they are getting a deal is quite high.

Top Bottom