Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Evangelical Lutheran Church just became America's first 'sanctuary church body"

Finally, an evangelical church in America that is actually doing the work of Jesus. Will wonders never cease?

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America just became the country's first 'sanctuary church body'

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, which represents nearly 3.5 million Christians, voted Wednesday to become the country's first "sanctuary church body," according to church officials. The measure, approved during a churchwide assembly in Milwaukee, pledges that in addition to providing shelter for undocumented immigrants, the ELCA could:

-- Respond to raids, deportations and the "criminalization" of immigrants and refugees;

-- Fight individual cases of deportation, press for the end of mass detentions and lift up immigrants' voices;

-- Take "prophetic action" to extend "radical hospitality" to immigrants and immigrant communities.

"Christians have offered sanctuary for 2,000 years, continuing an ancient biblical practice in which cities and houses of worship provided refuge and asylum for people fleeing injustice," said Christopher Vergara, who works on immigration issues in the ELCA's Metro New York Synod.

None of the proposed actions break US law, the church said. More than 800 churches and other faith communities have stepped up to provide sanctuary to undocumented immigrants in recent years, according to the National Sanctuary Movement.

Officials with a warrant can arrest undocumented immigrants regardless of whether they're at a church, synagogue or mosque, though US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, has said it generally avoids arrests at "sensitive locations," including houses of worship.

Read complete article at: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/08/us/lu...rch/index.html
    Last edited by Cruze; 08-19-2019 at 04:49 AM.

What injustice are immigrants fleeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    What injustice are immigrants fleeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Priapism.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    Finally, an evangelical church in America that is actually doing the work of Jesus. Will wonders never cease?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/08/us/lu...rch/index.html [/I]
    This from the poster who previously said:

"I have more hatred in me than you can possibly imagine, and I find it energizing. The problem is i can't figure out who I hate more: the Trumpster or his mindless followers who demonstrate their ignorance, hypocrisy, and short sightedness every day in every possible way."
    Cruze 8-15-19 GH post

hmmmm

Hmmmmm
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    This from the poster who previously said:

"I have more hatred in me than you can possibly imagine, and I find it energizing. The problem is i can't figure out who I hate more: the Trumpster or his mindless followers who demonstrate their ignorance, hypocrisy, and short sightedness every day in every possible way."
    Cruze 8-15-19 GH post

hmmmm
    cruze a proven phony hypocrite ....consumed by hatred

I mean, duh. Cruze is a commie.

This is clearly a bad church that booj doesn't approve of. He prefers the judging part part of christianity more than the helping part.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    This is clearly a bad church that booj doesn't approve of. He prefers the judging part part of christianity more than the helping part.
    Oh is it "judging" now that concerns you? Interesting. Can Trump be redeemed or do you judge him to be someone who cannot be saved? Stocker, it is Christians (and only Christians) that believe in redemption not by works but by faith. I guess you misunderstand the faith you criticize.

Oh is it "judging" now that concerns you? Interesting. Can Trump be redeemed or do you judge him to be someone who cannot be saved? Stocker, it is Christians (and only Christians) that believe in redemption not by works but by faith. I guess you misunderstand the faith you criticize.
    For starters...bravo. "Saved" does belong in quotes. And if faith allows you to be a crappy person and still be "saved"....something's gone wrong. But maybe that's why you bang the bible so hard?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    For starters...bravo. "Saved" does belong in quotes. And if faith allows you to be a crappy person and still be "saved"....something's gone wrong. But maybe that's why you bang the bible so hard?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Very judgemental post ^^^

I just finished reading "Notes of an Undocumented Citizen" by Jose Antonio Vargas. It's a thought compelling book. He brings up problems with our immigration system that we could certainly fix. He also reveals what people who are in survival mode will do to remain in this country.
    I am pleased to see how many churches (the ELCA is just one) are working to help undocumented person's. I read about the Mennonites on the US-Mexican border who are tirelessly giving to care for the detainees as well as help ease the exhaustion of the men and women doing border patrol.
    We can do so much better than we presently do to welcome in people who have gone through deep hardship. We must work hard to view all humanity as image bearers of the creator who deserve our respect.

We are very active in our ELCA church...council, committees, youth stuff. I'm thankful for how "progessive" the church is...female clergy, recognizing gay marriage, and now this sanctuary thing. I'm not sure how this will change things in practice. Our church is very involved with Sudanese families, both migrants and local missions in Sudan. I assume we'll continue, just maybe more dedicated resources from the synod level. I'm sure there's a recruitment piece to it too.
    Jaws was never my scene, and I don't like Star Wars.

Very judgemental post ^^^
    Ended with a question mark. So not exactly.

But at least I am not using a text written by humans and revised by humans as my basis for good and bad.

The Bible has more manuscript evidence backing it than any other historical writing by a mile. It has stood the test of time. Those who adhere to it are not making up new codes for morality as we go along. The instructions in the Bible work. If you follow it, you have a better life and if society follows it, you have a better society. These are choices we have, it is not by force or coercion, it just is the way it is.