PJ Fleck (taped) interview on the Sports Huddle 8-18-19

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck was not available for a live interview on the Sports Huddle on Sunday. They played a taped interview between Fleck and Sid.

(note - lot of very short questions and answers. missed a few things. can't type that fast.....)

Sid: asks about recruiting players from Eden Prairie
PJ: we look at traditional powerhouses. at HS level, look for players who are winners. Academic, Athletic, socially, spiritually. Every HS produces different types of players. These 7-8 guys are all far along in their development.

Sid: (something else about the Eden Prairie players)
PJ: I like all 8 of those guys - work ethic is tremendous. takes no talent to work hard.

Sid: QB situation? Green?
PJ: Tanner #1 Clark and Kramer are fighting for 2 and 3 . Seth works at multiple positions - WR, some TE, Wildcat QB. Johnny Sontaga is another young man who has emerged in the QB room - athletic, can run with the ball. young guys are developing well

Sid: is Green a QB?
PJ: he is taking some reps there. Mostly works at WR. he takes some reps at QB

Sid: any surprises?
PJ: Keonte Schad. Noah Hickcox. D-Line in general. Secondary improved. guys are fighting for jobs. those position groups have pleasantly surprised.

Sid: what do you like about camp?
PJ: how hard the players are working. not much baby-sitting. they're practicing football. they're really into it. they're committed to the U of MN. having fun, working hard, becoming a family, becoming a team with a new identity.

Sid: (something about new or different players contributing....)
PJ: need to see guys step in and step up. Rush, Sori-Marin, Oliver, Willis, Gordon, Aune (missed another name). have to develop quick. In the Secondary Howden has accelerated his play. Nubin has moved to Safety. Solomon Brown working hard.

Sid: Winfield?
PJ: he's special

Sid: how about the 2 RB's who were hurt?
PJ: It's Unfortunate that both got hurt. But that led to Mo and Bryce stepping in. now we're healthy and deep at RB. Rodney looks like his old self, maybe even better.

Sid: which Red-Shirts will play?
PJ: Dunlap is having a nice camp. Spann-Ford. Van Dyne at WR is having a good camp.

Sid: what about the true FR?
PJ: The QB's have impressed with how much they're able to process, and transfer to the field. St-Juste at Corner - he's surprised people 6'3" 200 lbs. making plays.

Sid: will the Defense be better?
PJ: let's hope so.

Sid: Did the new Defensive Coach do a good job?
PJ: Joe Rossi is a special coach, teacher, listener, evaluator. players like playing for him.

Sid: you have 9 offensive guys returning. who will replace the other two guys?
PJ: we're still in competition for all spots. lot of guys returning.

Sid: finished strong last year. Can you get better?
PJ: that's our goal - get better every single day. be better today than we were yesterday. that's what we keep focusing on.

Sid: what are you worried about?
PJ: (laughs) Sid, I'm the head coach. I worry about everything.

Sid: how much better are you than last year at the same time?
PJ: we're in the process of mastering things. 1st 2 years; we were the youngest team in america - still learning. now in stage of mastering, teaching, capturing, developing within.

Sid: finished strong last year. does that give you more confidence this season?
PJ: last year has nothing to do with this year. It's a new year, new team, new identity. this team wants to make its own legacy.

Sid: (something about competition for starters)
PJ: we're seeing a lot of fights for positions

Sid: (something about pre-season predictions...)
PJ: I'm not sure what the experts are saying. the real experts are the people inside our program. What I know is that this team works hard, they're fun to coach.

Sid: Good Schedule. Don't play OSU, MSU, Michigan.
PJ: I don't pick who we play. I just know that we're going to play 12 regular season games, and each game is a challenge.

Sid: like the new Coaches?
PJ: I love the way they're working. they like to coach together.

Sid: do you think you'll have better Attendance?
PJ: we have some of the best fans in America. we have very loyal fans. I know our fans support us 100%.

Sid: thank you. (tape ends)

Thank you again SON! Lots of info crammed in there.

Not fully honest in "I don't pick who we play". That's true of Big Ten games, but the response he gave referenced 12 games.

Coach absolutely, positively has a say in which non-con games get scheduled.

Now granted, Big Ten non-con games often get scheduled several years in advance. So quite possible that Fleck didn't have a say on these particular games, this season. But he most certainly has input on the games Coyle is working on currently (for however many seasons into the future).

Thanks SON! Sid doesn't make it easy.

Thanks SON! Sid doesn't make it easy.

Oh Lawd. Later in the show, they played a taped interview between Sid and Miguel Sano. So, you had a 99-year-old man who is functionally deaf, interviewing a guy who barely speaks English. Depending on your point of view, it was either hilarious or horrendous.

Thanks Son for this report. I'm sure it was tough to type and listen at the same time. Very much appreciated.

Thanks SON. Quick question, did Sid give Fleck a Murray's certificate? I want to update my spreadsheet either way.

Thanks SON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom