P.J Fleck on Minnesota having weak schedule: 'There are no easy games in the B1G'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

But the idea that Minnesota’s schedule is easy is one that Fleck scoffs at, in typical coach fashion. He reiterated that every opponent the Gophers face this fall will present unique challenges.

“I’ve learned in the Big Ten that there are zero easy games,” Fleck said, according to TwinCities.com. “It doesn’t matter who you play…I think every head coach in the conference will probably say the same thing. We’re not here for preseason things, we’re not here to pick things.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...-schedule-there-are-no-easy-games-in-the-b1g/

Go Gophers!!

Non Conference opponents were 32-8 last year. Non power 5 but still good teams.

We're still not a constant enough team to count chickens...

Here we go again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If this program is improving and growing, and if Gopher football is headed for real success, then this year's schedule is a golden opportunity to make a big step forward.

This year's schedule can be a huge benefit for us this year, and in years come.

This year's schedule gives us a chance at a very impressive record, a prestigious bowl game, and even a decent shot to win the B1G West. Each of those outcomes would greatly help generate fan interest and be a boost to recruiting.

Nobody is "counting chickens". Heaven forbid. We're simply pointing out facts here: This is a favorable schedule, and this is Year Three.

Not a prediction. But, yes... an expectation.

Last edited:

Nobody is "counting chickens". Heaven forbid. We're simply pointing out facts here: This is a favorable schedule said:
I didn’t pay attention in grade school much, but I do remember our Facts vs. Opinions lesson and I believe Mrs. Smith would have given you a frowny face.

Last edited:

I didn’t pay attention in grade school much, but I do remember our Facts vs. Opinions lesson and I believe Mrs. Smith would have given you a frowny face.

So you're saying it's just my opinion that it's a favorable schedule, and Mrs. Smith would argue that this is only Year Three in my opinion?

It may not be an easy schedule but it's as easy of a Big Ten slate as you can get

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It may not be an easy schedule but it's as easy of a Big Ten slate as you can get

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's a distinction without a difference.

It's a favorable schedule. It's okay to say so. If we don't have a solid record at the end of the season, it will be a disappointment. Fleck knows that. He'll be the most disappointed of anyone if we don't have a strong season.

Actually, the easiest Big Ten schedule we could possibly ever have, in the current configuration, would be cross-overs of Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers.

We have Penn State this year.

This year's schedule gives us a chance at a very impressive record, a prestigious bowl game, and even a decent shot to win the B1G West. Each of those outcomes would greatly help generate fan interest and be a boost to recruiting.

Every statement here is correct.

Your absolute failure of logic is to then make a massive jump from possibility ... to expectation.

You can't defend it, logically. You've yet to make a good attempt to do so.

On a game to game basis, there are no easy games in the Big 10. See Purdue vs. Ohio State last year.

Over the course of the season, there are easier schedules. The Gophers have one. They're probably going to lose at least one game that they should win but they should be winning more than they lose. Using ESPN FPI, even if they lose 2 games they should have won and don't win any that they should have lost, they'll still be 8-4. If they're losing a bunch of games they were favored in, that means they're frequently getting outplayed and would be concerning.

That's a distinction without a difference.

It's a favorable schedule. It's okay to say so. If we don't have a solid record at the end of the season, it will be a disappointment. Fleck knows that. He'll be the most disappointed of anyone if we don't have a strong season.

It’s OK for Gopherhole to say so, but not Fleck. He gave the answer any other Big Ten HC would have given with the same schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s OK for Gopherhole to say so, but not Fleck. He gave the answer any other Big Ten HC would have given with the same schedule.

Exactly.

And he is right, there are no easy games in the Big Ten. We are improving and look like we could be pretty good this year but we are not at the point where we can go up against a Big Ten team (or any team for that matter) and expect to win just by showing up. Even a bad team, really from anywhere, but especially in the Big Ten can beat you on any given Saturday if you don't play well.

Fans can get caught up in the easy opponent, strength of schedule stuff but for coaches it is about getting the players ready to go each week and showing up with the right level of intensity. One of the worst thing that happens in sports is when a team starts believing they are good and can win by just showing up. Those are the teams that end up getting upset because they lose their intensity and focus.

Exactly.

And he is right, there are no easy games in the Big Ten. We are improving and look like we could be pretty good this year but we are not at the point where we can go up against a Big Ten team (or any team for that matter) and expect to win just by showing up. Even a bad team, really from anywhere, but especially in the Big Ten can beat you on any given Saturday if you don't play well.

Fans can get caught up in the easy opponent, strength of schedule stuff but for coaches it is about getting the players ready to go each week and showing up with the right level of intensity. One of the worst thing that happens in sports is when a team starts believing they are good and can win by just showing up. Those are the teams that end up getting upset because they lose their intensity and focus.

The skunks are a good example. Saban rails on his guys year in/year out for losing focus and thinking they’re good. Prima donna players and programs probably need extra motivation....Wisconsin (and fans) started believing they are a helmet program.

My expectation is 8 regular season wins and competitive losses. No blow outs. If we lose a tough game here and there that’s just the way it goes. If we’re getting run on for 350 yards per that’s bad.

I think that given all of the factors (returning talent, schedule, year three of Fleck and Co., etc.) it is fair for fans to expect the Gophers to win the West this year.

I think that given all of the factors (returning talent, schedule, year three of Fleck and Co., etc.) it is fair for fans to expect the Gophers to win the West this year.

At last... a reasonable voice.

Sometimes these discussions about expectations get weird.

I say beware the people who twist words in order to build straw men. For example, I for one never claimed the schedule was easy. I said the schedule was favorable — and it clearly is. That's simply a fact; not controversial. Yet several posters are arguing that "no schedule is easy." I guess I'm not sure who those folks are arguing with; it can't be me.

I also pointed out that this is Year Three. Once again, this is a reasonable, clearly factual statement and it's obviously pertinent to any discussion about reasonable expectations.

Yet pointing out these simple facts seems be causing a bit of controversy, at least with some posters.

Sincerely: No offense meant. I'm just presenting a few facts. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Every statement here is correct.

Your absolute failure of logic is to then make a massive jump from possibility ... to expectation.

You can't defend it, logically. You've yet to make a good attempt to do so.

You are really hung up on the word “expectation” and you still don’t seem to quite understand what it actually means. I have seen multiple posters actually post the meaning to you and you still can’t quite seem to grasp it.

It is 100% fair to expect the team to compete for the West title this year. But going into the year expecting the team to be playing in the Big Ten Championship game this year is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

This can be a very successful year, even if it doesn't end with the team playing for the conference title. The West looks like it will be super competitive and could be won by as many as 5-6 different teams this year.

Actually, the easiest Big Ten schedule we could possibly ever have, in the current configuration, would be cross-overs of Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers.

We have Penn State this year.

YOU ALSO HAVE GSU!:cool:

It is 100% fair to expect the team to compete for the West title this year. But going into the year expecting the team to be playing in the Big Ten Championship game this year is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

This can be a very successful year, even if it doesn't end with the team playing for the conference title. The West looks like it will be super competitive and could be won by as many as 5-6 different teams this year.

Assuming you're right about others setting themselves up for disappointment... why should that bother you in the least?

It is 100% fair to expect the team to compete for the West title this year. But going into the year expecting the team to be playing in the Big Ten Championship game this year is just setting yourself up for disappointment. This can be a very successful year, even if it doesn't end with the team playing for the conference title. The West looks like it will be super competitive and could be won by as many as 5-6 different teams this year.

Yeah, I agree with that. I didn’t mean to say if we don’t win the West I’ll be calling for Fleck’s job. I do think we return the most talent and have the most favorable schedule, so I “expect” to win the West based on that. But I understand lots of other outcomes are possible and we can still have a great year w/out winning it.

HThis is a favorable schedule, and this is Year Three.

Not a prediction. But, yes... an expectation.

Yes, it's a favorable schedule because we don't have to play OSU or Michigan and we get PSU at home in a year after they lost some very significant players. It's still challenging. The schedule is very similar to 2016. So, the expectation should be that we go 8-4 (just like 2016). Anything beyond that would be great!

So you're saying it's just my opinion that it's a favorable schedule, and Mrs. Smith would argue that this is only Year Three in my opinion?

Okay, she would have given you a frowny face stating it's a fact that its a favorable schedule, but you would have earned a smiley face (maybe even a gold start with that weird tasting glue on the back) for correctly saying it's a fact that it is year three.

Yes, it's a favorable schedule because we don't have to play OSU or Michigan and we get PSU at home in a year after they lost some very significant players. It's still challenging. The schedule is very similar to 2016. So, the expectation should be that we go 8-4 (just like 2016). Anything beyond that would be great!

In 3...2...1... some smartass will point out that 8-4 got Claeys fired in year 1.

It happens to me every year, it is the definition of being a Gopher fan!

Top Bottom