Shooter: Gophers football facilities still are not among the top 25 in the country

m'm good with top 40. We used to be bottom 20

Hogwash.

The reality is our facilities are as good as any P5 except the elite of the elite.

I have never been in Athletes Village, but I have to believe it is pretty nice. There are many schools whose facilities are way over the top and we may never compete with Clemson, Alabama, Oregon, LSU etc...and Im okay with that until we can improve our attendance and greatly increase football revenues.

My question is this...Has anyone from 247 Sports that was affiliated with this article stepped foot into our new digs?

Bullshiite, “Shotput”.

I think most of those rankings are based solely on perception and maybe a 3 minute YouTube video.

The person doing the rankings didn’t tour every single facility I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not necessarily the facilities blink-blinks.

How they serve the athletes is what matters. Help them get a life changing degree and teach them life skills.

The Gophers are doing an admirable job for a lot less than other top echelon schools. For a select few, making it to the pros is a bonus.

In the arms race we will always struggle to stay near the top because we just don't have the resources that the helmet schools do. As long as we stay committed to upgrading our facilities to at least stay in the ballpark of the top schools then that is really all we can ask. Staying near the top of lists like this is next to impossible because there will always be upgrades happening.

As someone else pointed out we used to be way near the bottom of lists like this. The athlete village was a huge step in the right direction for our department.

I actually made a post on this topic on another site a week ago or two ago. Basically it sounds like Minnesota has better facilities than Notre Dame, Nebraska, Iowa and Iowa State according to at least one recruit, Nebraska commit Blaise Gunnerson. Heres what I said:

So I was reading a Nebraska forum for fun and decided to search "Minnesota" in the forum to see what they were saying about us, just out of curiosity. There was one thread and a few comments that caught my eye.

"In the thread on Gunnerson, I just posted an interview an Iowa station did with him after his announcement. The best facilities he saw were Minnesota, and he thought the others were comparable."

"Moos should publicize that, and that comment should be good for a few boosters to want to pony up.... Unless they don't mind Fleck having better facilities for recruiting than Frost, of course."

https://forum.huskermax.com/threads...-19-lot-of-updates.111396/page-6#post-4001720

These comments were talking about Nebraska 4 star commit Blaise Gunnerson who during his recruiting process has visited Nebraska, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Iowa and Iowa State, all of them at least twice so it's safe to say he definitely got a good look at all of their facilities.

https://247sports.com/Player/Blaise-Gunnerson-46056665/TimelineEvents/

This is what he said exactly

Q: Talk to me a little bit about those facilities. You know Iowa State has their indoor, Iowa has their indoor. You got to see just about everybody's facilities, weight rooms. Talk about the similarities and differences between all three (Nebraska, ISU, Iowa) of those schools.

A: Yeah, so like I said there pretty similar. Iowa State, they are remodeling theirs right now, I'm assuming thats going to be really nice and then Nebraska's, the weight room's pretty nice. I know their going to keep making renovations to all that stuff. They're pretty comparable. The school I visited that kind of stood out with the facilities was Minnesota, like those were just insane. They finished it last January and they were just nuts.

Here is the interview if you want to listen to it, he talks about the facilities about about 7:40 in.It's the interview from July 9th https://www.1380kcim.com/podcast/sports-rewind/

So having better facilities than ISU is nice, they added over $20 million to their football complex a few years ago. Having better facilities than Iowa is also pretty nice as well, they opened up a new $55 million football complex a few years ago. But having better facilities than Nebraska and Notre Dame really caught my eye, two big helmet schools. I feel like there is a perception that a lot of gopher fans have that although are new facilities are nice, Nebraska's are nicer, they have the waterfall and all. And of course Notre Dame is one of the best programs in the country so that's pretty huge as well.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed those comments, I know I did.

I think most of those rankings are based solely on perception and maybe a 3 minute YouTube video.

The person doing the rankings didn’t tour every single facility I’m sure.

Considering the overall quality and accuracy of past 247 work, this was likely written by an unpaid high school or college intern that has probably visited a couple, maybe a handful of campuses at most. Shooter giving hearsay time. The facilities are definitely good enough, or in the neighborhood as some might say.

I think ranking them in order doesn't really work out well. You could have 25 that all have basically the same features and amenities, so saying one of those was 1 and another was 25 would be misleading. Putting them into four or five tiers would make more sense. If you think of it that way I'm sure we went from tier 4 to tier 2 at least.

I think ranking them in order doesn't really work out well. You could have 25 that all have basically the same features and amenities, so saying one of those was 1 and another was 25 would be misleading. Putting them into four or five tiers would make more sense. If you think of it that way I'm sure we went from tier 4 to tier 2 at least.

Exactly correct. Well said.

Our facilities I'm sure are as good as teams ranked #15 to #40 (if we were #41, for example).

I actually made a post on this topic on another site a week ago or two ago. Basically it sounds like Minnesota has better facilities than Notre Dame, Nebraska, Iowa and Iowa State according to at least one recruit, Nebraska commit Blaise Gunnerson. Heres what I said:

So I was reading a Nebraska forum for fun and decided to search "Minnesota" in the forum to see what they were saying about us, just out of curiosity. There was one thread and a few comments that caught my eye.

"In the thread on Gunnerson, I just posted an interview an Iowa station did with him after his announcement. The best facilities he saw were Minnesota, and he thought the others were comparable."

"Moos should publicize that, and that comment should be good for a few boosters to want to pony up.... Unless they don't mind Fleck having better facilities for recruiting than Frost, of course."

https://forum.huskermax.com/threads...-19-lot-of-updates.111396/page-6#post-4001720

These comments were talking about Nebraska 4 star commit Blaise Gunnerson who during his recruiting process has visited Nebraska, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Iowa and Iowa State, all of them at least twice so it's safe to say he definitely got a good look at all of their facilities.

https://247sports.com/Player/Blaise-Gunnerson-46056665/TimelineEvents/

This is what he said exactly

Q: Talk to me a little bit about those facilities. You know Iowa State has their indoor, Iowa has their indoor. You got to see just about everybody's facilities, weight rooms. Talk about the similarities and differences between all three (Nebraska, ISU, Iowa) of those schools.

A: Yeah, so like I said there pretty similar. Iowa State, they are remodeling theirs right now, I'm assuming thats going to be really nice and then Nebraska's, the weight room's pretty nice. I know their going to keep making renovations to all that stuff. They're pretty comparable. The school I visited that kind of stood out with the facilities was Minnesota, like those were just insane. They finished it last January and they were just nuts.

Here is the interview if you want to listen to it, he talks about the facilities about about 7:40 in.It's the interview from July 9th https://www.1380kcim.com/podcast/sports-rewind/

So having better facilities than ISU is nice, they added over $20 million to their football complex a few years ago. Having better facilities than Iowa is also pretty nice as well, they opened up a new $55 million football complex a few years ago. But having better facilities than Nebraska and Notre Dame really caught my eye, two big helmet schools. I feel like there is a perception that a lot of gopher fans have that although are new facilities are nice, Nebraska's are nicer, they have the waterfall and all. And of course Notre Dame is one of the best programs in the country so that's pretty huge as well.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed those comments, I know I did.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Just ran across this, for Ohio State's new facility:

Were never going to compete with Louisville's Bordello wing.

If this is the same ranking I saw a year ago; it's a farce. I'm not saying we are top 25, but I'm saying the list is a joke.

For example, they have Georgia on the list. How can that be a top 25 football facility when their training table is contracted out to a hotel and is a few blocks down the street? Thus, after team activities, the athletes have to walk 6-7 blocks to eat. I'm not sure that ranks as a top 25 set up.

Last edited:

If this is the same ranking I saw a year ago; it's a farce. I'm not saying we are top 25, but I'm saying the list is a joke.

For example, they have Georgia on the list. How can that be a top 25 football facility when their training table is contracted out to a hotel and is a few blocks down the street? Thus, after team activities, the athletes have to walk 6-7 blocks to eat. I'm not sure that ranks as a top 25 set up.

I'm pretty sure we are top 25 though. I posted earlier in this thread that Nebraska commit Blaise Gunnerson visited Notre Dame, Nebraska, Iowa and Iowa State multiple times and he said Minnesota has the best facilities.

And I would trust the opinion of a recruit who has toured each facility multiple times over some writer on the internet who only watches youtube videos of each facility.

I'm pretty sure we are top 25 though. I posted earlier in this thread that Nebraska commit Blaise Gunnerson visited Notre Dame, Nebraska, Iowa and Iowa State multiple times and he said Minnesota has the best facilities.

And I would trust the opinion of a recruit who has toured each facility multiple times over some writer on the internet who only watches youtube videos of each facility.

While having a great facility helps in the recruiting, it doesn’t guarantee success. Check Arkansas as an example. Or Oklahoma State.

While having a great facility helps in the recruiting, it doesn’t guarantee success. Check Arkansas as an example. Or Oklahoma State.

I mean, who wouldn't want 10+ win seasons in 6 of the last 9 seasons???

I'm pretty sure we are top 25 though. I posted earlier in this thread that Nebraska commit Blaise Gunnerson visited Notre Dame, Nebraska, Iowa and Iowa State multiple times <b>and he said Minnesota has the best facilities. </b>

Was he asked this question by a Minnesota media member?

The guy who wrote the 247 article probably hasn’t ver been in half the teams facilities he put in the top 25

Nebraska just unveiled their new facility. I thought they had deep pockets? It is pretty much the same as ours and cost the same. Good luck Nebraska, the 90's are over.

per Shooter:

Despite an Athletes Village cost of $166 million, the Gophers football facilities still are not among the top 25 in the country, as ranked by 247 Sports.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/17/charley-walters-twins-hit-the-jackpot-with-luis-arraez/

Go Gophers!!
I told them to put in a chocolate fountain with the chocolate shooting out of Goldy's @$$, but would they do it? No....
Well, ya get what ya pay for UMN. Ya get what ya pay for... [emoji41]

Top Bottom